Dog feeding/walking schedule dispute

Old August 15th 05, 02:46 AM
bugsy

Default Dog feeding/walking schedule dispute

I have a question for all you experts out there. Someone I know feeds
their dog in the evening around 6 pm but will not let the dog out to go
to the bathroom afterwards. The last time of day that the dog gets
walked or let out at all is 3:30pm. I think the dog should go out
again in the evening, especially after being fed dinner. He says that
the dog doesn't need to go and lasts just fine through until the
morning. This dog is an 8 year old collie. What is your experience
with this? I know that humans often need to go to the bathroom after
eating, and a final chance to go at night is good for my dogs.....but
maybe he's right....if a dog is used to it, maybe it's not needed?
This dog does have "digestive difficulties" from time to time (fairly
common), seems to me that letting him go potty before bedtime would be
a simple thing to do to help the dog have an easier time of it. What
are your thoughts and experience? Thanks in advance, Sarah

Old August 15th 05, 03:09 AM
Rocky

"bugsy" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Someone I know feeds
their dog in the evening around 6 pm but will not let the
dog out to go to the bathroom afterwards.

Every dog is different and your acquaintance knows his dog best.
There are a lot of factors: amount of exercise after the last
meal, general health of the dog, type of food, how early the dog
gets out the following morning ...

That said, my dogs make pretty good use of their evening
excursion.

Old August 15th 05, 03:10 AM
Wooly

On 14 Aug 2005 18:46:38 -0700, "bugsy" spewed forth
:

I have a question for all you experts out there. Someone I know feeds
their dog in the evening around 6 pm but will not let the dog out to go
to the bathroom afterwards. The last time of day that the dog gets
walked or let out at all is 3:30pm.

I'd be asking the man how frequently he takes a leak between 1530 and
bedtime.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 15th 05, 05:12 AM
FurPaw

bugsy wrote:
[...]

My first take is, that's pretty strange! Why won't he take the dog
out for an evening potty break? What does he do if the dog has an
"accident?" Does he punish the dog? (Jeez, I hope not!)

Many critters - humans and dogs - find it increasingly difficult to
"hold it" for long periods of time as we get older. I wonder if
your acquaintance can hold it for that long!

I have a fenced yard, so giving my dogs potty breaks is no problem.
They get them on demand, and always after meals and before bed.
But when I didn't have a yard, I took my dogs out after each meal,
at bedtime, and in between if they asked. I would view giving them
any less as cruel.

FurPaw
--
"Don't believe everything that you think."
- Seen on a bumper sticker

To reply, unleash the dog
Old August 15th 05, 11:23 PM
MauiJNP

"bugsy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

wow, that seems like an aweful long time to not get to go out. I am
curious as to why the owner won't take him out later that 3:30? It just
seems weird.