Pet Insurance -- Recommendations Needed

Old August 16th 05, 06:44 AM
dmich

Default Pet Insurance -- Recommendations Needed

Does anyone have experience with any of the few companies which offer
pet insurance in the U.S.?
I have a new puppy (8 week old Springer male) -- after experiences with
my last dog, who had several bladder surgeries and finally underwent
chemotherapy for multiple myeloma for the better part of two years, I
would like to get insurance for the new dog, but am uncertain of which
plan would be best, and they are somewhat lacking in specific details
in their literature and websites on some issues.

Anyone with experiences or advise, please respond. THANKS!

Old August 28th 05, 12:59 PM
dmich

Yes, I am still seeking information on insurance.

Haven't purchased a policy yet.

THANKS!

Old August 28th 05, 07:49 PM
ZPL

I went with VPI. It seemed to be the only policy that you could break down
to a basic coverage, with the option of add-ons. Now, be sure and read the
fine print on ALL companies. Especially PRE-EXISTING CONDITION. EVERY YEAR
is a new policy. So, something you may have filed for the previous year
may not be covered the next year. i.e. - an ear infection that got out of
hand. If you choose to file for reimbursement, it will most likely NOT be
covered the next year. But if it cleared up rather easily, you can appeal
(or they may automatically reinstate) for the year after.

ALL companies are like this. Unless of course you choose one of the high
dollar plans, then they "should" cover everything. But, you'd end up paying
possibly hundreds a month for that privilege.

I went with the VPI basic plan. I don't file on piddly stuff. I also have
flood insurance that I probably don't need. But, if something were to
happen to either of my dogs (TDI and the other is training towards Cadaver)
I would be able to at least stabilize the dog and get a diagnosis (which can
be the expensive part) before making a decision.

I also went with the Routine Care plan. Reimbursements for regular routine
stuff - vaccinations, flea/tick/HW preventative, $65 a year towards a more
invasive exam (neuter, dental, EKG, blodwork, or even evaluation x-rays of
hips or such). If you use it correctly, you will get back at LEAST the $99
you pay out. Depending on how much you vet actually charges, you could in
all practicality get reimbursed for a coupe bucks more. The company feels
it is almost a "perk" to ensure the dog gets check ups and a problem is
found before it becomes a REAL problem.

Consumer Reports did a thing on Pet Health Insurance. And with the VPI
Standard Plan, over the lifetime of a dog (11 years) the it did cost more
money to have insurance. HOWEVER, VPI had the lowest out of pocket cost -
$551 over 11 years. Compared to one company that got anywhere from $2-3K
from you. This included a comparison from regular "stuff" to hip
replacement. There was one company where you actually came out "ahead" on
the hip replacement. But if it was just "stuff", you were out of pocket
$3380 more over the lifetime of the dog.

oups.com...

Old August 28th 05, 07:56 PM
ZPL

Also, you might want to look at PetsHealth Care Basic. About $97 total out
of pocket over the 11 years, and a bit more savings in the "hip replacement"
scenario according to Consumer Reports. But, I don't know what they cover.

oups.com...