Miscommunication

Old August 17th 05, 03:17 PM
Paula

Default Miscommunication

Since we got a new collar for Molly (one of the most important aspects
of dog care is making sure they have the perfect collar according to
my kids), let me see your beautiful collar translates to Molly as
"Show me all your teeth and your big panting tongue." Maybe English
isn't her native language. The word "chewie" apparently means "sit in
your most beautiful sit and look soulfully in the human's eyes" in
German.

What phrases or words has your dog interpreted in its own way?

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old August 17th 05, 03:45 PM
ceb

Paula wrote in
:

What phrases or words has your dog interpreted in its own way?

Zoe thinks "it's time... foooooor... puppy power!" means to jump all over
me and kiss me as much as possible.

Queenie thinks "let's go out" means "please patrol the perimeter of the
dining room table several times and then plunk down by the door." The
patrol is mandatory.

Both dogs think "who's going to help me feed our Rosie?" means to race as
quickly as possible to the top of the stairs, getting extra bonus points
for bashing into each other or me, or knocking someone over.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old August 17th 05, 04:45 PM
Suja

Paula wrote:

What phrases or words has your dog interpreted in its own way?

If Khan were human, he would've flunked his languages.

Me: Are you ready to go out?

Him: Make a big production of standing up and Streeeeeetch

Me: Who's ready for a car ride?

Him: Woo-Woo-Woo-Wooooo (in Barry White tones). Plop head down on the
floor and stick his big butt up.

Pan's favorite:

Me: What do you want?

Her: Perk up ear, look cute, wag tail hard.

Me: Show me.

Her: Run. Stop. Come back to make sure I'm following. Repeat several
times until she gets to the refrigerator. Stop with ears back, big grin
on face, wagging tail and bashing into everything.

Doesn't matter what time of day/night it is, whether she has just eaten
or not. Always stop at the refrigerator. She's no dummy you know.
That's where the B-O-N-E-S are kept.

Suja
Old August 17th 05, 06:39 PM
Paula

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:45:46 -0400, Suja wrote:

Me: Who's ready for a car ride?

Him: Woo-Woo-Woo-Wooooo (in Barry White tones). Plop head down on the
floor and stick his big butt up.

Perhaps he wants to know if you will let him moon people out the
window before he decides whether he wants to go along or not.

Old August 17th 05, 06:47 PM
Paula

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:45:47 +0000 (UTC), ceb
wrote:

Queenie thinks "let's go out" means "please patrol the perimeter of the
dining room table several times and then plunk down by the door." The
patrol is mandatory.

It gets pretty hot here during the day, but generally cools off well
at night. I have a sliding door that leads to a balcony in my bedroom
which I leave open (with the screen door closed) at night to help cool
down the house. I don't have to worry about burglars because Molly
likes to plop right in front of the screen door from the moment it is
breezy until the moment I close the slider in the morning. So maybe
Queenie thinks that you when you indicate that you are going out, she
should patrol and then position herself to guard the place while you
are gone. Or maybe she's just checking to see if there is anything
good on the dining room table she might be able to steal once you go
out the door. You will never suspect her because she was sitting in
front of the door when you left, of course.

The plunked down dog reminded me of another miscommunication. When
Molly is lying around doing a great impersonation of a fur rug, I
sometimes ask her, "Are you dead?" Apparently,that means lift your
tail once without making even the slightest amount of movement
anywhere else in your body, not even a flutter of an eyelid.

Old August 17th 05, 07:47 PM
MauiJNP

Since we got a new collar for Molly (one of the most important aspects
of dog care is making sure they have the perfect collar according to
my kids), let me see your beautiful collar translates to Molly as
"Show me all your teeth and your big panting tongue." Maybe English
isn't her native language. The word "chewie" apparently means "sit in
your most beautiful sit and look soulfully in the human's eyes" in
German.

What phrases or words has your dog interpreted in its own way?

Before Maui learned "stay" he thought it meant "hurry up and catch up to
mommy because there must be something thats too cool to miss wherever she is
going". He also thought "leave it" means "I can have this as long as I run
away and hide from mommy." Now he knows better on both accounts which is
nice since my nephews are always here and leave their toys on the floor.