An invite to checkerboard square

Old August 18th 05, 02:56 PM
Robin Nuttall

Default An invite to checkerboard square

Matt's not the only person heading out in the near future. Cala has been
invited to do the 60 weave pole challenge at the Purina Incredible Dog
Challenge. It's invitation only, and we will be filmed for Tee Vee.
It'll be September 10 for the filming, I have no idea if/when it will
broadcast.

Now me, I am looking at this as an opportunity to make a total fool of
myself in front of a National audience, rather than the Regional
audience I generally make a fool of myself in front of.

Cala is still green and I'm not even sure she'll hit the entry, much
less do 60 poles. She has a tendency to hit the poles and drive so hard
she gets tangled. So I'm practicing entries and exits on 12. I may do a
couple of sets of 18 or 24 before the day, but no way am I asking her to
do 60 poles in a row on anything like a regular basis. Right now my goal
is to help her find a better rhythm in staked-down inline
poles--something I've needed to do for a long time anyway. I'm also
working on sending her slightly ahead at both start and finish, as well
as having poles set to each side of the start and finish to replicate
the electronic timers we'll have.

So wish me luck! In this case, luck means at least getting into the
poles the correct direction and doing, say, half before coming out.

Old August 18th 05, 03:34 PM

on 2005-08-18 at 13:56 wrote:

So wish me luck! In this case, luck means at least getting
into the poles the correct direction and doing, say, half
before coming out.

good luck!

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)
Old August 18th 05, 08:42 PM
Christy

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message
Matt's not the only person heading out in the near future. Cala has been
invited to do the 60 weave pole challenge at the Purina Incredible Dog
Challenge.

Good luck!
A friend of mine was invited to the So. Cal. event a few months back - not
sure if it was ever televised or if it will be at some point. She got a
bronze medal, which was pretty dang good considering her Sheltie just makes
14" and the winners were both much larger dogs. I believe they had one
warm-up run, so you should at least get some idea of what Cala does with 60
poles. I've never done that many, but I've done 48, and suprisingly, it
seems like the dogs just kinda go with it and keep the rhythm up. The only
problems seem to occur with dogs that have a rhythm slightly off from the
pole spacing - with 12, its a small offset and they manage to stay in fine,
but as they do more and more, that offset gets larger till they end up
missing a pole. Its hard to anticipate which dogs will do this, though!

Christy

Old August 20th 05, 01:47 AM
Shelly & The Boys

Good luck!
A friend of mine was invited to the So. Cal. event a few months back - not
sure if it was ever televised or if it will be at some point. She got a
bronze medal, which was pretty dang good considering her Sheltie just
makes
14" and the winners were both much larger dogs.

They did one at the last NADAC trial I went to. I didn't stay to watch it
though, since
it was last thing of the day & I wanted to get home (2 1/2 hr drive).
I know that in the past, Elaine Haven's with her black Belgian, Blazer has
done
amazingly well at the weave-pole challenges.
Shelly & The Boys

Old August 23rd 05, 03:55 AM
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Cala has been
invited to do the 60 weave pole challenge at the Purina
Incredible Dog Challenge. It's invitation only, and we will
be filmed for Tee Vee. It'll be September 10 for the
filming, I have no idea if/when it will broadcast.

I'll look forward to seeing it! I've done 60 weave poles with
Rocky in a fun event (he was on OLN for a few seconds), but the
dog (Border Collie) which won it was half his time.

If any dog can beat a BC at 60 weaves, it's gotta be a Dobie.

Old August 23rd 05, 04:19 AM
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Cala has been
invited to do the 60 weave pole challenge at the Purina
Incredible Dog Challenge. It's invitation only, and we will
be filmed for Tee Vee. It'll be September 10 for the
filming, I have no idea if/when it will broadcast.

I'll look forward to seeing it! I've done 60 weave poles with
Rocky in a fun event (he was on OLN for a few seconds), but the
dog (Border Collie) which won it was half his time.

If any dog can beat a BC at 60 weaves, it's gotta be a Dobie.

Well I haven't heard a thing from them since agreeing to the invite and
it's in 2 weeks, so who knows if I'm really in or not! But I'm getting
in lots of good weave practice with Cala anyway. She's now really
getting good rhythm on the set of 12. I haven't even pushed it to 18,
probably will do that next week but that's probably it. She'll stay in
or she won't.