My Shih Tzu won't eat since she was spayed...

Old August 18th 05, 07:26 PM
Lab Guy

Default My Shih Tzu won't eat since she was spayed...

Our female, 2 year old Shih Tzu was spayed 10 days ago. She had her
stitches removed on Tuesday. Her energy and activity seem to have returned
to normal. But, she doesn't seem to want to eat her dog food (dry).

We mentioned this to the vet asst, who said that this time of year (dog days
of summer) dogs just don't eat that much. That may be true, but before her
surgery it was even hotter and she seemed to eat regularly.

She will eat treats/biscuits, but I don't want her to eat only those. Do I
withhold all treats until she is hungry enough for her dry dog food? Seems
almost cruel

Any experience/suggestions?

Old August 18th 05, 07:51 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:26:55 -0700, "Lab Guy" ,
clicked their heels and said:

She will eat treats/biscuits, but I don't want her to eat only those. Do I
withhold all treats until she is hungry enough for her dry dog food? Seems
almost cruel

ok - think about it. she's milked this and is getting her way. take
away the treats until she eats her meals. Provide the food,, and in
15 minutes, take whatever she hasn't eaten, away (even if it's all her
food). NOTHING until the next meal. Repeat at 2 feedings per day.
Rare is the dog that goes longer than 3 meals skipped, unless someone
slips them pity treats in between.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old August 18th 05, 07:59 PM
Sharon

Rare is the dog that goes longer than 3 meals skipped, unless someone
slips them pity treats in between.

;-)

Also sprinkle food with a bit of garlic powder or dried oregano to entice
her.

Old August 19th 05, 12:25 AM
Lab Guy

Thanks for the advice. I guess she knew I was getting advice on the issue.
She must have got hungry as she finally ate her food this afternoon.