Training Police Dogs

Old August 23rd 05, 03:15 AM
LeeCharlesKelley

Default Training Police Dogs

Anybody remember our discussion on the use of the Kong for training police
dogs, search-and-rescue-dogs, and drug enforcement dogs?

I was thoroughly excoriated for suggesting that the Kong was used in such
training, and that the first order of business was teaching the dog to
play fetch with the Kong.

Check this out, from the Discover Channel website:

According to Sargent Steve McEdwards, trainer for Metro Toronto Police Dog
Services, "Our main training tool is a "Kong. It's a rubber toy that
looks like the cover over a trailer hitch. It's a little bit chewable and
it bounces in ten different directions because of its weird shape.
Whenever they do good, they get to play with the Kong."

Training a dog to track scents - either human scent, or the scent of drugs
or guns - just means sharpening a sense that's already mostly there.

"They have naturally good sense of smell," maintains McEdwards. "But most
dogs never have to use that sense, so it's lazy. You just want to bring it
out."

Handlers use the Kong, or a piece of cloth, to do that - holding it in
their hands to give it a human scent, or using gun oil, cleaning fluid for
guns, shell casings or "pseudo-drugs" to give it those scents. Then they
just start to play.

"You play tug-of-war with the Kong, and fetch," McEdwards says. "Then you
start to hide it. The dog learns if it finds the odour, it gets the Kong.
You make it fun. It's a game - the more you keep it a game, the better the
dog will be."

Old August 23rd 05, 02:40 PM
Ronna

LeeCharlesKelley wrote:
Anybody remember our discussion on the use of the Kong for training police
dogs, search-and-rescue-dogs, and drug enforcement dogs?

I was thoroughly excoriated for suggesting that the Kong was used in such
training, and that the first order of business was teaching the dog to
play fetch with the Kong.

OMG. How come you aren't crying about discovering that the alpha
theory is a crock on this newsgroup, like you are on the AOL behavior
board?

Is it book pimping time again? Or are you just off your meds?

Old August 23rd 05, 05:47 PM
Rocky

"Ronna" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

How come you aren't crying about discovering that the alpha
theory is a crock on this newsgroup, like you are on the
AOL behavior board?

Heh. Because most of us already know that the popular alpha
theory is mostly a crock? And have been discussing it for
years?

Old August 23rd 05, 05:56 PM
Ronna

Rocky wrote:
"Ronna" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

How come you aren't crying about discovering that the alpha
theory is a crock on this newsgroup, like you are on the
AOL behavior board?

Heh. Because most of us already know that the popular alpha
theory is mostly a crock? And have been discussing it for
years?

Oh no Matt, HE has been telling us that for years (on another board)
and we all supposedly ridiculed him. The people on that board have
also been discussing it for years, but according to LCK, none of has.
@@