Stupid neighbors!!!

Old August 23rd 05, 09:01 AM
White Monkey

Default Stupid neighbors!!!

First of all, if someone thinks they have a problem with how I treat
my dog, they should talk to me about it, not wait until they see the other
Dane owner who lives on the street and waylay and harangue her about it.

Every morning I have to take Saskia out front to take care of business
and leave the baby in the playpen. Thus this has to be a short trip, and if
she doesn't "perform" right away I bring her back in and we try later.
Sometimes, being 1 1/2 years old, she balks at coming back in.

So this neighbor told the other Dane owner how terribly sorry for
Saskia she is because she only ever gets to go out front and we could at
least take her to the end of the block once in a while. Grrrrrr!

I have prepared a piece of paper. If she approaches me I will give it
to her and tell her to call a vet and ask if this dog is suffering. It says
that this is a 1 1/2 year old Great Dane with a slight neck problem and
instructions from the orthopedist to take it a bit easy with her. She
free-feeds but does not eat much and is, according to vets, in great shape.
Every morning and 2 or 3 other times per day the dog goes out to the street
to eliminate.

IN ADDITION, she goes 1 or 2 times a week for a walk of at least an
hour with us somewhere in the city. IN ADDITION, she goes three or four
times a week to the small dog running area nearby to charge about madly,
which is a 15 minute walk each way and she gets at least half an hour there.
IN ADDITION, she goes at least once and usually twice a week to the big
park, where she runs offlead and plays with other dogs for about 1 1/2 or 2
hours, in addition to the 45 minutes or an hour of walking to get there and
back. Also she plays with us several times a day, playing tug and wrestling
and blanket-on-the-dog, and she can play with a ball in the tiny back yard
if she wants to.

It just burns me up how people say they feel so sorry for dogs like
her because they live in the city, while being completely sanguine about the
neighbor's fat lab that is never off the lead, or the other neighbor's
border collie that gets out a couple of times a day for half an hour. I wish
people would educate themselves about breeds and their requirements!!!!
Saskia has us around almost all the time, too, and these other neighbors,
including the ones who walk their (overweight) Bernese Mountain Dog down to
the end of the block and back twice a day but otherwise keep him inside or
tied by a short lead on the tiny concrete square at the top of their stairs,
work all day.

Urrgh. Just venting.

--Katrina

Old August 23rd 05, 12:36 PM
Tee

"White Monkey" wrote in message

It just burns me up how people say they feel so sorry for dogs like
her because they live in the city, while being completely sanguine about
the neighbor's fat lab that is never off the lead, or the other neighbor's
border collie that gets out a couple of times a day for half an hour. I
wish people would educate themselves about breeds and their
requirements!!!! Saskia has us around almost all the time, too, and these
other neighbors, including the ones who walk their (overweight) Bernese
Mountain Dog down to the end of the block and back twice a day but
otherwise keep him inside or tied by a short lead on the tiny concrete
square at the top of their stairs, work all day.

Take a deep breath and see what your neighbor sees. If neighbor doesn't
know about all these other things you do with Saskia or about the neck
problem then she's only seeing you take the dog out front for short trips
and the dog occasionally showing she doesn't want to go back inside. You
might come to the same conclusion that the neighbor did.

I know it rubs wrong to have someone say something about you or how you
treat your kids or dogs but keep in mind that its usually people like this
neighbor who alert animal control, shelters and rescues to real cases of
neglect or abuse. Granted, the nosy neighbor isn't always right but she
might be happy (and probably mortified) to be proved wrong. Consider
approaching her in a friendly manner and tell her you heard she was
concerned for Saskia and that you didn't think she was aware of all the
other things Saskia does.

--
Tara

Old August 23rd 05, 12:54 PM
White Monkey

[...]

Oh, don't worry--I know the post doesn't make it sound like this (I was a
little worked up at the time) but I always start out as nice as possible. I
intend to thank her, if she ever approaches so I know who she is, for being
concerned about my dog and explain if she'll let me. What gets to me so
badly, though, is that she not only made assumptions, she went and "smeared"
me with someone else (who didn't believe it because she knows me and Saskia)
without bothering to approach me with her concerns first, and find out if
her impression was correct. But I will be keeping things as nice as I can, I
do prefer it that way.
Thanks,
Katrina