European GSDs?

Old August 23rd 05, 04:52 PM
RC

Default European GSDs?

I'm interested in purchasing a GSD puppy with an eye for schutzhund in its
future. While doing research, I've read in several books that generally
speaking, German / Slovakian blood lines tend to be more dominant than their
American counterparts for a number of reasons.

If this is true, my question is - all things being equal (and generally
speaking), are there noticeable differences in form, temperament, and drive
among East German, West German, and Slovakian blood lines?

Old August 24th 05, 04:46 AM
Janet Puistonen

RC wrote:
I'm interested in purchasing a GSD puppy with an eye for schutzhund
in its future. While doing research, I've read in several books that
generally speaking, German / Slovakian blood lines tend to be more
dominant than their American counterparts for a number of reasons.

If this is true, my question is - all things being equal (and
generally speaking), are there noticeable differences in form,
temperament, and drive among East German, West German, and Slovakian
blood lines?

My understanding is that there is adifference between German "high lines,"
who tend to have less drive--although far more than American AKC dogs--and
German "working" and East European lines, which tend to have higher drives.
Obviously, I am speaking in generalities and individual dogs will vary.
Generally speaking, people make a distinction in tems of "drive," not
"dominance." There are some groups devoted to GSDs that you would probably
find a good source of info on this subject. You can do a google search, or
perhaps someone can point you in the right direction.

Do remember that *all* German GSDs, including the "high" lines, have to have
at least a basic working title (Schutzhund or herding, IIRC) to be
considered breedworthy, and consider carefully whether you really want a
high-drive, working lines GSD. If you do, fine--but it is a responsibility
you need to be prepared for.

Old August 25th 05, 01:51 AM
HouseODogs

Please visit www.germanshepherds.com and visit the forums section.

It is a moderated board (trolls are quickly bounced) and full of GSD
fanatics.

You may want to look in the archives on the different topics for lots of
information related to the question you are asking.

Best wishes in finding a terrific pup. There is nothing in the world like a
good GSD.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea
www.shepherdrescue.org