Feel sad, wish I knew more earlier.

Old August 23rd 05, 09:01 PM
PeepsLover

Default Feel sad, wish I knew more earlier.

Here's my deal. I recently purchased a Bichon Frise. I have had a dog
in my life ever since I was a child. I moved away from my family and
since I moved, I always wanted a dog. I researched and researched and
decided I wanted a Bichon Frise. I was warned about "puppy mills" and
had contacted a few "breeders" to see litter availability and ask
questions.

A fault of mine, is that I met with a lady who had a puppy available
and as soon as I met the puppy, I fell in love with him. The "breeder"
offered a health guarantee and etc.. and she really seemed to care for
the puppies she had. She asked a lot of questions and had a lot of
concerns about who the new owner would be. She kept the puppy up to
date on his shots and checkups and grooming.

I purchased the puppy in August, named Peeps born on 5/7/05.

I feel a little worried because on the medical records she handed me it
said Nemax V as a DEWORMING process she used 6 times already on the
puppy, and the puppy was only 3 months old.

Does anyone know what NEMAX is? I haven't been able to find any info
online, I keep coming to random German sites.

My vet was concerned because of the amount of times this was given to
the puppy, and he said it was common with puppy mills ... and that they
would only being doing it this much if the puppy/dogs have a severe
case of worms that isn't going away.

When I got the puppy, which I've only had for about 2 weeks now, I
decided not to continue on Nemax because I did not want to harm the
puppy with so many dosages, and the vet agreed.

Now I see these flat white things in his stool which look like pieces
of rice. My vet is going to check the stool sample tomorrow and things
it's worms, and a case in which my puppy will need to receive
injections.

I'm really sad, and now I am starting to think I did not acquire my
puppy from a reputable breeder. I wish I knew just what to ask and I
just hope my puppy stays healthy.

The health guarantee from the 'breeder' states it is only obtainable if
goes to vet within 3 business days of acquiring the puppy and the vet
provides documentation of the health issues. My puppy did not have the
worms at the time, and could be because he had so many dosages of Nemax
to hide it.

I am happy that I do have the puppy, because I know he will be taken
care of as long as he lives and he will be loved. But I am sad because
I feel I contributed to the puppy mill "business" if you could call it
that.

The 'breeder' contacts me often via email and phone to see how the
puppy is doing. I haven't told her yet about the worms until I know for
sure as of tomorrows testing.

Anyway - Anyone know what NEMAX V is?

Old August 23rd 05, 09:49 PM
Christy

"PeepsLover" wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone know what NEMAX is? I haven't been able to find any info
online, I keep coming to random German sites.

Nemex. It is a common dewormer.

My vet was concerned because of the amount of times this was given to
the puppy, and he said it was common with puppy mills ... and that they
would only being doing it this much if the puppy/dogs have a severe
case of worms that isn't going away.

Did you ask the breeder why she dewormed so frequently? That does seem
excessive but some breeders deworm every two weeks, so by 12 weeks that
would be 6 times.

Now I see these flat white things in his stool which look like pieces
of rice. My vet is going to check the stool sample tomorrow and things
it's worms, and a case in which my puppy will need to receive
injections.

Those are tapeworms, which generally come from fleas, and most over the
counter dewormers do not work. You don't need injections, just a dose of
Droncit dewormer. Don't even bother with the stool sample - if you see them
in the stool, they are there.

[...]

Don't jump to conclusions that this is a bad breeder. Most irresponsible
breeders don't care enough to keep in contact with puppy buyers, so you are
lucky to have that kind of relationship. While yes, you should ask questions
before buying, it is never too late to learn. Check out
http://dogplay.com/Breeding/index.html to learn more about what makes a
responsible breeder.

Christy

Old August 23rd 05, 10:09 PM
Tiger Lily

agreed Christy........... if this was a 'puppy
mill' there is no way the breeder would even care
once they got their $$$$$$$ and ran

i had a puppy turn out to have a hernia and it
wasn't found for the first month that he had been
sold in....... but i covered the costs of the
surgery to fix the hernia and have his neutered at
the same time (the vet discussed that with the
owner and reinforced my wishes that he be a pet
puppy only)

kate
(de-worming is the owners responsibility.........
the puppies had been given 2 doses of de-worming
pills and had another 2 doses of deworming pills
to take......... that was based on my vet telling
me to do that..... not because we had worms, but
'just in case' )

"Christy" wrote in
message news:SZLOe.12166$0U6.5422@trnddc09...

Old August 24th 05, 04:17 AM
Michael A. Ball

On 23 Aug 2005 13:01:01 -0700, "PeepsLover" wrote:

Here's my deal...
Anyway - Anyone know what NEMAX V is?

"...deal"?

Any chance the product was NEMEX™-2 (pyrantel pamoate) ?
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....p-flypage-2851

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old August 24th 05, 10:22 AM

PeepsLover wrote:
[...]

Just do the Hearts thing. That's what we do with ours when the worms
are hanging out of there..

Old August 28th 05, 11:51 PM

One bright night in the middle of the day on 23 Aug 2005 13:01:01
-0700, in rec.pets.dogs.breeds "PeepsLover" wrote:

The 'breeder' contacts me often via email and phone to see how the
puppy is doing. I haven't told her yet about the worms until I know for
sure as of tomorrows testing.

Well, it sounds to me like your breeder is someone who cares a lot
about her baby! For the love of Pete! Why won't you talk to her???

Puppies get intestinal parasites! It's NOT a big deal and does not
make your dog "defective" or anything! The worm segments you describe
sound like tapeworm segments. Tapeworms come from the dog swallowing a
flea. The tapeworm parasite can't infect a dog directly. They need
fleas to help them complete their lifecycle. Also, they can't be
removed by using very mild wormers such as pyrantel pomoate (Nemex).
Nemex is usually given every 2-3 weeks, mostly because it *is* so
mild. And the drug pyrantel is really only good for getting rid of
roundworms... and it probably doesn't do all that great of a job even
at that -- which is why you can buy it in a pet store without a
prescription!

In any case, a tapeworm in your dog needs to be taken care of, but
it's not a particularly big deal. Your vet might not see any tapeworm
eggs in a stool sample because the tapeworm doesn't shed eggs all the
time. Most dogs will be diagnosed by their owners' seeing the segments
on a fresh stool sample as they go to pick up after their dog. If you
tell your vet that you've seen these tape segments, that should be a
good enough diagnosis for your vet to properly worm your puppy. One
more thing... Check your pup and your home for fleas. If you have
them, you'll need to get rid of them or else your puppy might end up
getting re infected with another tapeworm.

I hope this helps. Now go call your breeder! She must be worried!!

*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"

Boy, Do I Feel Stupid Leah Dog behavior 2 October 24th 04 12:44 AM
Feel and Stream cooking Dog rescue 0 November 27th 03 11:51 PM
Feel and Stream cooking Dog rescue 0 November 27th 03 11:51 PM
Feel and Stream cooking Dog rescue 0 November 27th 03 11:51 PM
Feel and Stream cooking Dog rescue 0 November 27th 03 11:51 PM