Shaq likes the Roanoke/Bedford Area.

Old August 23rd 05, 11:45 PM
marika

Default Shaq likes the Roanoke/Bedford Area.

Lester Mosley wrote:
Welcome to Roanoke Talk..

we wished him in.

but now you should welcome hmi to aullm too

mk5000

"amazingly in 1998 tow different groups of paleobiologists reported
finding fossils with remarkable soft-tissue preservation in another
Precambrian lagerstatte - the Doushanto Formation in Guizhou Province
of south China. This deposit contains tiny soft-bodied adult sponges
and cnidarians as well as minuscule eggs and embryos"--david j bottjer

Old August 26th 05, 08:54 AM
Frank Kalder

marika schrieb:
Lester Mosley wrote:

Welcome to Roanoke Talk..

we wished him in.

but now you should welcome hmi to aullm too

Hi Marika,

as you may have seen at the fairy-tail "Greek author..."-thread

http://groups.google.de/group/soc.cu...54cf49f7e9503a

I do like Roanoke and its beautiful surroundings (Virginian mountains
and lakes), too (even from far, i.e. virtually).

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html
http://groups.google.com/group/Gover...al-vs-regional

Old August 27th 05, 03:25 AM
marika

Frank Kalder wrote: as you may have seen at the fairy-tail "Greek
author..."-thread

http://groups.google.de/group/soc.cu...54cf49f7e9503a

I do like Roanoke and its beautiful surroundings (Virginian mountains
and lakes), too (even from far, i.e. virtually).

yes i remember. they remind one of the carpathians.

interesting, but as i said i live near dc down a piece from Skyline
which would make it either falls church or alexandria, not arlington.

relevantly, my high rise on my side looks out on what i think is the
skyline mountains also known as shenadoah also beautiful vista and
because i am so high up and now it is so green yuo can't see most of
the buildings, there are two towers on the sides that make the sloping
down make you think you are at the top of a mountain looking down into
a valley. it's illusion but i is still beautiful

mk5000

"Porque cantando se alegran, cielito m=A8=AAo
Los corazones.
No hables de tu marido mujer.
Mujer de malos sentimientos,"--el camino al a vereda, ibrahim ferrer

Old August 27th 05, 07:44 AM
Frank Kalder

marika wrote:
Frank Kalder wrote:

[Roanoke and its beautiful surroundings (Virginian mountains
and lakes)]

yes i remember. they remind one of the carpathians.

Have you ever been there?
Or do you know them from the various Dracula movies?

interesting, but as i said i live near dc down a piece from Skyline
which would make it either falls church or alexandria, not arlington.

Very nice location!
The one & only time I was in Washington, DC, I went to the JFK grave at
the Arlington National Cemetery.

"Which would make it either falls church or Alexandria". What does
it mean?

relevantly, my high rise on my side looks out on what i think is the
skyline mountains also known as shenadoah also beautiful vista and
because i am so high up and now it is so green yuo can't see most of
the buildings, there are two towers on the sides that make the sloping
down make you think you are at the top of a mountain looking down into
a valley.

That sounds marvellous!

it's illusion but it is still beautiful

I know what you mean.
Frequently, when I walk around in some smaller cities I look at the
high rises there (of course, smaller though) with the imagination the
one or another might have the appearance of being a 'splendid beach
hotel at a beautiful coastal area'. Having the capacity of such type
of illusions the world around oneself is just getting beautiful ...

CU, Frank

Old August 27th 05, 11:17 PM
marika

Frank Kalder wrote:

Have you ever been there?

yes

Or do you know them from the various Dracula movies?

i think the dracula movies were filmed in hollywood

interesting, but as i said i live near dc down a piece from Skyline
which would make it either falls church or alexandria, not arlington.

Very nice location!
The one & only time I was in Washington, DC, I went to the JFK grave at
the Arlington National Cemetery.

"Which would make it either falls church or Alexandria". What does
it mean?

that sometimes people refer to the area where i live as alexandria and
others call it falls church. they are both continguous with arlington
but no one ever refers to where i live as arlington

so i refer to where i live as either alexandria or falls church as some
people know one or the other

mk5000

"my things was not 'can i make a hit movie' It was 'can i make a hit
movie with amessage?'"--Mario Van Peebles

Old August 28th 05, 09:24 AM
Frank Kalder

marika schrieb:
Frank Kalder wrote:

[Carpathians]

Have you ever been there?

yes

Hi Marika,

perhaps, your ancestors came from there and you visited the remaining
family in Rumania? Or was it just a trip across Europe or the like?

Or do you know them from the various Dracula movies?

i think the dracula movies were filmed in hollywood

Yes, I think so, too.
However, I saw sometimes background TV-reports on the real
Carpathians' area with its /dark appearing/ castles and so on.

In L.A. I spent half a day at the Universal Studios. And, e.g., I
remember the scary wooden house of Hitchcock's "Psycho".

As you compare the Virginian Mountains with the Carpathians, I've
meanwhile recalled that I know the landscape

http://www.virginiawind.com/virginia...s_mountain.asp

pretty well from the "Waltons Mountain". Of course, "it readily
intermingles historical facts of the 1930s in rural Virginia with the
Hollywood depiction of the Walton family."

I've now looked up the Schuyler village at the Expedia map.

[...]

[Falls Church / Alexandria]

that sometimes people refer to the area where i live as alexandria and
others call it falls church. they are both continguous with arlington
but no one ever refers to where i live as arlington

so i refer to where i live as either alexandria or falls church as some
people know one or the other

I got, at first, confused as I did not realise that both are cities and
counties. To me, only Arlington was a place I knew of (as indicated).

I found this now as a supplement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria,_Virginia

cit

History

The City of Alexandria, first known as Belhaven, was named in honor of
John Alexander, who in the last quarter of the 17th century had bought
the land on which the city now stands from Robert Howison; the first
settlement here was made in 1695. Alexandria was laid out in 1749 and
was incorporated in 1779.

A portion of the City of Alexandria shares with all of today's
Arlington County the distinction of having been originally in Virginia,
ceded to the US government to form the District of Columbia, and later
reattached to Virginia by the federal government in 1846 when the
District was reduced in size to exclude the portion west of the Potomac
River.

From 1790 until 1846 Alexandria County was a part of the District of

Columbia; the city of Alexandria was re-chartered in 1852. The City of
Alexandria became independent of Alexandria County in 1870. The
remaining portion of Alexandria County changed its name to Arlington
County in 1920, ending years of confusion.

/cit

I'm glad, Marika, that I could learn, at this occasion, more about
that US-historic part. And, having seen the whole area on an Expedia
map, I do now perfectly know your whereabouts :-)

CU, Frank

--
www.haplif.de & www.haplif.de/61820.html
Results of the G8 summit at Gleneagles (Scotland)