Sudden fear of outside

Old August 24th 05, 06:18 AM
SANDRA YGLESIAS

Default Sudden fear of outside

Hello!

I am new to newsgroups so if I do something wrong please let me know, I'm
not sure how they work.

I am having trouble suddenly with my Chow/Border Collie mix. She is 4 years
old and suddenly she won't go outside. She will get part of the way out of
the door and then back up back inside. And if I mention outside she runs to
the backroom and hides under the desk.

Now I have a fenced in yard and watch my dogs as though they were kids.
There are no stray dogs that she could have fought with and no kids in the
area that could have teased her. She has not gotten injured either. The only
thing I can think of is that last week we had some terrible thunderstorms
while I was at work and they were home alone. Sassy is terrified of storms.
But this week it has been beautiful, I would think she would be over it by
now. So I'm not sure if it's the problem.

I should mention that she is very jumpy. I rescued her from the side of an
interstate highway when she was 4 months old. But she seems well adjusted
until this week.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this and how can I get her past it?

Thanks!!
--
Sandy

Old August 24th 05, 12:44 PM
bizby40

"SANDRA YGLESIAS" wrote in message
newsqTOe.18220$xp.17696@trnddc02...

[...]

If she was in the house during the thunderstorms, I can't see why she
would associate it with outside. I would assume that something
scary happened while she was out. A recent thread mentioned
bees, and that could be it. I know my cat developed a sudden
fear of the outdoors and like you, I couldn't figure out what it
could have been. Then my daughter noticed a dead bee in the
garage, and we figured that the cat probably caught it and got
stung in the mouth.

You may never know what happened. Just take it slow. Be
with her when she goes outside. See if there is a particular
area she avoids, and if there is one, check it out to see if there
is a threat there. Take treats with you and make being outside
a pleasant experience for her.

I would expect within a week or two, she is going back
outside like she used to.

Bizby

Old August 26th 05, 01:58 AM
Child

[...]

Could she have been stung by a bee?

Old August 26th 05, 06:43 AM
Sandy

I don't think so. I checked as best I could....she has very long thick black
hair.

I have tried heal with treats and it has helped some. I'm hoping to have
more time tomorrow to just walk around the yard for a longer period of time.
Sandy

Could she have been stung by a bee?