Dog Sleeping on Bed

Old August 26th 05, 03:31 PM
buzzsaw

Default Dog Sleeping on Bed

I would like to make Max get permission to get on the bed.

But how do I do it, when he jumps up there by himself when he wants to
lay down?

In otherwords, I am getting dressed in other room, he finishes eating
and he jumps up on bed to lay down and nap while I go to work.

Of course I can stop him when I am on the bed watching TV or going to
bed, but normally he is already up there.

Is it ok to leave him alone when he gets on bed by himself?

Please advise.

Old August 26th 05, 05:12 PM
Grim Reaper

On 26 Aug 2005 07:31:42 -0700, "buzzsaw" wrote:

I would like to make Max get permission to get on the bed.

But how do I do it, when he jumps up there by himself when he wants to
lay down?

In otherwords, I am getting dressed in other room, he finishes eating
and he jumps up on bed to lay down and nap while I go to work.

Of course I can stop him when I am on the bed watching TV or going to
bed, but normally he is already up there.

Is it ok to leave him alone when he gets on bed by himself?

Please advise.

Hello buzzsaw, I hope you have the well known resident netk00k, loon,
psychological liar and assclown in your killfile. You know who I am
talking about? Do not reply to him if he replies to your message.

Thank you very much.

Grim Reaper
Old August 26th 05, 07:08 PM
MauiJNP

I would like to make Max get permission to get on the bed.

why does he need permission?

Is it ok to leave him alone when he gets on bed by himself?

I think this is a personal choice. my dog can go anywhere in the house
without asking permission.

Old August 27th 05, 02:14 AM
dejablues

"buzzsaw" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to make Max get permission to get on the bed.

Good idea.

But how do I do it, when he jumps up there by himself when he wants to
lay down?

Don't let him get up there unless you've permitted him to. If he's there
already, make him get off, and don't let him back up til you've said it's
OK.

In otherwords, I am getting dressed in other room, he finishes eating
and he jumps up on bed to lay down and nap while I go to work.

Keep the door shut?

Of course I can stop him when I am on the bed watching TV or going to
bed, but normally he is already up there.

Is it ok to leave him alone when he gets on bed by himself?

No, because then it's *his* idea, not yours.

I'm of the thought that the bed is *my* area, and dogs aren't allowed there
unless I specifically give them permission, for some attention before actual
sleeping time, and they certainly aren;t allowed to sleep on the bed.

I'd make him get off, then signal him that it is OK to get on your bed, and
can only stay there as long as you let him.

Others will disagree, of course.

Please advise.

Old August 27th 05, 12:25 PM
Unsurreality

snip insane crossposting yet again

rlin.de...

I recently rehomed one of my dogs that
submissively urinated, we tried for two
years to get him over it but nothing worked.
It is not a behavior I can live with.

=============

BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAHAHAHHAHAHAA!!!

Please advise.

YOU WANT MORE OF THE SAME?

Hey, just curious...how many videos have you sold so far? Can I take a
guess? I bet two - one for Lucy and one for your botfriend Chicken
Soup Mikey.

Old August 27th 05, 05:51 PM
Rocky

"buzzsaw" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I would like to make Max get permission to get on the bed.
But how do I do it, when he jumps up there by himself when
he wants to lay down?

That's actually fairly straightforward. Does Max know a "stay"
and a "down"? If so, put him in a stay-down until you're ready
to release him to the bed, then reward him appropriately.

If he doesn't know a stay or down, does he know an "off"? If he
knows this, then reward him when he gets off the bed. Count of
two. Invite him up and reward appropriately.

Of course I can stop him when I am on the bed watching TV
or going to bed, but normally he is already up there.

If you can't supervise him, close the bedroom door.

Is it ok to leave him alone when he gets on bed by himself?

"It depends" is the easy answer. I originally taught my dogs to
wait until they were invited up before they got onto my couch or
bed. This proved unwieldy because I honestly didn't care (most
times) if they were on it. Our current happy equilibrium is
that they get off immediately after being told "off."

Old August 27th 05, 07:17 PM

On 26 Aug 2005 07:31:42 -0700 buzzsaw whittled these words:

I would like to make Max get permission to get on the bed.

But how do I do it, when he jumps up there by himself when he wants to
lay down?

You lay a god foundation by (1) making sure he can't get on unobserved and
(2) you are consistent about what you do when you DO observe it.

In otherwords, I am getting dressed in other room, he finishes eating
and he jumps up on bed to lay down and nap while I go to work.

If you can't see him do it you will be too late to interupt the action
before it is complete, which is the ideal. Ideally you see him start to
jump, and you call him away, and reward his obdeince to the call-off.

Close the door or otherwise control his movement so he can't get on
unobserved. HOwever, in order to build it as a "permission only" thing
you will have to also give him many opportunities to try, and in which you
successfully interupt and divert the attempt. After a short while he will
anticipate that you will inerupt him, and so you will need to appear to be
busy or inattentive, but still actually paying attention. You will need
to move further and into different areas and still "catch" him. And when
he does get on unnoticed you call him off and have him lie down in some
other location. Not angry, not scolding, not even as if he is a "bad dog"
just matter of fact "do this instead". If you are consistent about this
the habit will develop that he gets on only by invitation.

Of course I can stop him when I am on the bed watching TV or going to
bed, but normally he is already up there.

Is it ok to leave him alone when he gets on bed by himself?

IF you want him to get on by permission only, then no.

My dogs may get on the bed whenever they would like, as long as they get
off when I say so.

Your rules are your choice.
--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old August 29th 05, 02:55 PM
Mary Healey

"MauiJNP" wrote in :
someone else wrote:
I would like to make Max get permission to get on the bed.

why does he need permission?

Because that's what the human wants.

"Permission" is definitely more complicated to teach than a simple
"always" or "never", particularly when you aren't right there to either
permit or deny.

Is it ok to leave him alone when he gets on bed by himself?

I think this is a personal choice. my dog can go anywhere in the house
without asking permission.

Out of curiosity, do you want your dog to ask permission before hopping up
into your lap? That's the only "permission" requirement I have; the
furniture is fair game, but my lap must be requested.

Old August 29th 05, 03:52 PM

on 2005-08-29 at 13:55 wrote:

Because that's what the human wants.

"Permission" is definitely more complicated to teach than a
simple "always" or "never", particularly when you aren't
right there to either permit or deny.

i started off with elliott not being allowed on the furniture
at *all*. never, ever, for any reason, was he allowed up.
when he was about 5yo, i decided to let him get on the bed.
for a long time, he was convinced it was a trap. he
eventually became more comfortable with being on the
furniture, but never completely so. he usually waited until i
invited him up, or until i was on my way out the door, to get
on the furniture.

harriet, OTOH, does not understand the concept of getting
permission to get on the furniture. i like having her sit
with me and haven't seen any reason to teach her that she's
not allowed to do so whenever she feels like it. that
includes flopping over onto my lap while we're watching
teevee, but i don't have a problem with that. she knows "off"
and will remove herself from me and/or the couch when told.

Out of curiosity, do you want your dog to ask permission
before hopping up into your lap? That's the only
"permission" requirement I have; the furniture is fair game,
but my lap must be requested.

i haven't a clue how this came about, but harriet has
developed the habit of snorting at me whenever i'm at the
computer and she wants to get in my lap. she comes and sits
very politely by my side and blows Boxer snot all over my
legs. charming, eh?

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)