Dog bitten on nose, now afraid to walk ..

Old August 29th 05, 01:54 AM
bjhinMtl bjhinMtl is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Dog bitten on nose, now afraid to walk ..

My friend's dog was bitten on the nose by another dog while she was out walking it a few weeks ago, and now her dog's terror at going for a walk has gotten the better of her. Her dog will only walk for a short while, and whether she catches the scent of another dog, or for whatever reason, she all of the sudden will refuse to walk any further. She will even get into a crouch and pull on her leash to try not to go forward with her walk. Her owner has tried pulling on her leash; has even tried a choke collar, yet still is having no success with getting her beloved dog to go for a walk. She has tried to change her normal route, even a change of scenery, but no luck. Has anyone had to deal with this or a similar issue and had some success?

signed

Frustrated in Montreal
Old August 29th 05, 03:19 AM
Rocky

bjhinMtl said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My friend's dog was bitten on the nose by another dog while
she was out walking it a few weeks ago, and now her dog's
terror at going for a walk has gotten the better of her.

Totally understandable.

Her dog will only walk for a short while, and whether she
catches the scent of another dog, or for whatever reason,
she all of the sudden will refuse to walk any further.

The other reason could be a lot of things - including your
friend becoming nervous when she sees another dog coming towards
hers.

She
will even get into a crouch and pull on her leash to try
not to go forward with her walk.

Your describe it well, the dog is definitely afraid of
something.

Her owner has tried
pulling on her leash; has even tried a choke collar, yet
still is having no success with getting her beloved dog to
go for a walk.

In my opinion, much of which your friend is doing is making the
situation worse. She should sign up for a good hands-on group
training class. Meanwhile, I'd suggest walking the dog on
leash, flat collar, in areas where there are no other dogs. The
dog has to relearn its confidence in its owner.

Puppy Growling and Attacking me when he has a bone Simon Adebisi Dog behavior 36 August 3rd 05 08:55 AM
Puppy Growling and Attacking me when he has a bone Simon Adebisi Dog health 24 July 31st 05 11:45 PM
dog urinates on everything pooteo Dog behavior 1 February 18th 05 09:57 AM
Dog whinning on walk Daniel Dog breeds 1 February 11th 05 05:55 PM
dog won't drink while on a walk? Dave Austin Dog behavior 0 September 3rd 03 03:22 AM