Behavior 3 year old red Dobie

Old August 30th 05, 01:06 AM
Sky

Default Behavior 3 year old red Dobie

Greetings all,
I have a soon to be 3 (sept 21st) Doberman. The love of our lives. He seems
very happy and content. I work at home so I'm with him just about all the
time. We got him when he was just 8 weeks old.
Here's my question: When he is relaxing with us, he gets on his bed and
appears to nurse. In the past he has tried to nurse part of his bedding,
which we have gently discouraged. Now he nurses a soft toy or old sock. (He
has put holes in his two past beds)
He appears to just try to suckle it between his paws and then nods off to
sleep, usually with his toy still in his mouth. This can last anywhere for 5
min to 15, depending on how tired he is.
I understood this as a pup, but he is almost 3 now.
Why does he do this? Is this normal?

PS pic here, yes, I'm bragging!
www.dogster.com/?51147
Thanks,
Sky

Old August 30th 05, 01:59 AM
Christy

"Sky" wrote in message

Here's my question: When he is relaxing with us, he gets on his bed and
appears to nurse. In the past he has tried to nurse part of his bedding,
which we have gently discouraged. Now he nurses a soft toy or old sock.

(He
has put holes in his two past beds)
He appears to just try to suckle it between his paws and then nods off to
sleep, usually with his toy still in his mouth. This can last anywhere for

5
min to 15, depending on how tired he is.
I understood this as a pup, but he is almost 3 now.
Why does he do this? Is this normal?

It is a Dobe thing - I think related to OCD. Just make sure he doesn't suck
the item to the point of ingesting it, as it could cause a blockage.

Christy

Old August 30th 05, 02:04 AM
MauiJNP

PS pic here, yes, I'm bragging!
www.dogster.com/?51147
Thanks,
Sky

great pic, he's handsome! I love his color.

Old August 30th 05, 02:22 AM
Sky

Christy,
Thanks for your response. OCD? Oh My... Never thought of that.
No, he does not ingest them. Although, God know he tries to ingest other
things. It's almost like he covets these thing. I get the idea that he is
trying to nurse, that somewhere in his childhood (the only male with six
sisters) maybe he did not get enough milk. Sounds weird, I know.
Well, as long as he's okay... I don't mind him doing it.
Just wanted to make sure he's okay.
Thanks,
Sky

Old August 30th 05, 02:24 AM
Sky

Thanks.. yes he's a red Dobie. We had our heart set on a black one, but when
we saw him....
Well, that was that. He kind of picked us.

Sky

Old August 30th 05, 05:03 AM
Robin Nuttall

Sky wrote:

He appears to just try to suckle it between his paws and then nods off to
sleep, usually with his toy still in his mouth. This can last anywhere for 5
min to 15, depending on how tired he is.
I understood this as a pup, but he is almost 3 now.
Why does he do this? Is this normal?

It's a touch of obsessive compulsive behavior. It's common in Dobermans.
Normal? Well, normal is not a solid definition is it? My older dobe does
it and she's also got a hatrack of titles. I would consider it a bit of
a smudge when thinking about breeding but it would be down the list.

It's only a problem if he is eating the stuff or if you can't distract
him from the behavior (i.e., he indulges in the behavior to the point of
not responding to commands, not wanting to go outside, not wanting to
work or play with you).

It's very unlikely you will break him of this. I don't even try. Instead
I give my dog safe sucky-items. It's weird yes, but not the worst thing
in the world. If you take the items away he may transfer onto something
else, such as flank sucking or foot licking, which can be destructive.

Some dobe people think this is very "cute." I'm not one, but nor do I
think it's horrible. It's just a weird Dobe thing.
Old August 31st 05, 02:22 PM
Ronna

Christy wrote:
"Sky" wrote in message

Here's my question: When he is relaxing with us, he gets on his bed and
appears to nurse. In the past he has tried to nurse part of his bedding,
which we have gently discouraged. Now he nurses a soft toy or old sock.

(He
has put holes in his two past beds)
He appears to just try to suckle it between his paws and then nods off to
sleep, usually with his toy still in his mouth. This can last anywhere for

5
min to 15, depending on how tired he is.
I understood this as a pup, but he is almost 3 now.
Why does he do this? Is this normal?

It is a Dobe thing - I think related to OCD. Just make sure he doesn't suck
the item to the point of ingesting it, as it could cause a blockage.

Christy

My friend has a Bull Mastiff who has a "suck ball". He carries it
everywhere and nurses on it. It gets quite full of drool and needs to
washed frequently, but other than that, his owners just accept it
He's completely normal in every other way.