Dog is itchy

Old August 30th 05, 04:31 AM
Geo

Default Dog is itchy

Hi Gang,

I am new to the group. Have a question and wondering if anyone has had the
same problem.

Yes my dog is scratching and licking.. mostly his paws. (not raw yet). We
have just moved out of
town and we are on well water now and also have a water softener. He loves
his baths. I thought maybe it
is from stuff in the grass or bush, but he still licks after he is clean. I
am using a special no fragrance shampoo.
Has anyone heard of this being a problem.
This is my only guess right now. He has had eczema in the past but this is
different. I am adding more "fish juice" to his food, but not sure if its
helping yet.

Thanks in advance

oh, Max is a 5 year old male Sheppard/lab mix.
Geo

Old August 30th 05, 06:02 AM
R. Zimmerman

My black lab, Nixa, has a number of skin allergies. She did not have them
in Oh where she was raised. Nixa developed her allergies in NC, where I
live.
Nixa was miserable the first few months, scratching, licking and breaking
out. After several
rounds of antibiotics and changing her diet, I had her allergy tested. It
turned
out that she was allergic to trees, mold, dust, weeds, and pollen that were
all in our area.

Nixa started allergy shots and has done really well. She is back on her
regular diet.
Nixa rarely scratches more than what is to be expected. Nixa is much
happier.
I bathe Nixa about 3-4 times a year with an oatmeal shampoo. I also use a
cream rinse
for dry itchy skin.

Nixa takes 2 Lipiderm caps with her morning feeding. I wipe her down with
a damp towel when ever Nixa comes in from outdoors. I give special attention
her feet, between the toes, legs, belly and face. We make a game out of it
and
Nixa really loves it.

I know the above seems like a lot, and Nixa is totally worth it. Since Nixa
is my service dog, she goes everywhere with me. I depend on her in so many
ways.
She works better when she feels better. Then don't we all.

I hope this helps.
Renee (Nixa's mom)

news

itchy skin Jen Lawson Dog health 4 June 6th 05 05:36 AM
Really itchy skin susywelles Dog health 2 April 17th 05 12:35 PM
Itchy bichon-shitzu cross bodz Dog health 2 December 9th 03 05:05 AM
Itchy bichon-shitzu cross bodz Dog health 0 December 9th 03 04:31 AM
REALLY itchy dog... netdet Dog health 0 September 15th 03 11:14 PM