no more crate?

Old August 30th 05, 05:30 PM
MauiJNP

Default no more crate?

Maui had a crate since a few weeks after I got him. I would use only when I
went away and since I didn't work for a lot of the time, he never really had
to go in there more than a few times a week for a short time. Anyway, I
haven't been using it for a few weeks because he is trustworthy without one
so he just gets penned in my room (not whole house access yet but that's
coming next). The crate is still in my room and the door is usually open a
little so he can open it more and go in if he wants. I really, really
wanted to be able to get rid of the crate now that he doesn't need it but I
am wondering if I should keep it in case he ever feels like he needs to get
away and go in there (his safe place/own den). I did notice that he
occasionally goes in there to lay down and rest but that is mostly when my
nephews are here pestering him. My nephews used to all try to go in there
too (two of them plus Maui fit at one time) but they have since been told
that they aren't allowed to do that because it is for Maui only in case he
needs a play break. So, would it be bad for me to take away Maui's crate?
If I do, should I buy him a regular dog bed and just teach my nephews it is
off limits for them? Or since a dog bed doesn't have walls like a crate,
will Maui not really like that as much? Thanks for any opinions, advice,
comments, questions, concerns.

Old August 30th 05, 05:42 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"MauiJNP" wrote in
:

So, would it be bad for me to take away Maui's crate?
If I do, should I buy him a regular dog bed and just teach my nephews
it is off limits for them? Or since a dog bed doesn't have walls like
a crate, will Maui not really like that as much? Thanks for any
opinions, advice, comments, questions, concerns.

I wouldn't take away the crate. Leave it in the corner and take off the
door should you not want to use it. There may come a time when you want
Maui to spend time in the crate. If it is always in your room, he will be
used to it. The very fact that Maui currently uses it to get away from your
nephews tells me that it is still needed.

Get a dog bed as well, just put it in a different room that you spend a
lopt of time in. In our house, Moogli's crate is in the bedroom, and he
gets put in there about 1/3 of the time. In the living room, we have a
small dog bed under the table that he will sleep in if we are in there. We
had no problem with getting Moogli to try out the bed. Put him in there,
gave him a treat, and he figured out what it was for.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old August 30th 05, 05:47 PM
Rocky

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

The crate is still in my room and the door is usually open
a little so he can open it more and go in if he wants. I
really, really wanted to be able to get rid of the crate
now that he doesn't need it but I am wondering if I should
keep it in case he ever feels like he needs to get away and
go in there (his safe place/own den).

Did you know that crates make good bedside tables?

If his crate is Maui's safe place, you should probably keep it.
But if two kids *and* Maui can fit into it at one time, it's
larger than necessary for a Toy Poodle; if the space it takes up
in your bedroom is your concern, replace the crate with a
smaller one. Crates really only need to be large enough for a
dog to stand and turn around comfortably - it's a relaxation
place, not an exercise pen.

A bonus to keeping Maui used to a crate is in the event you take
him on a plane or if you have to board him. A smaller crate
will also make it easier for you to carry and load into your
car.

Old August 30th 05, 07:07 PM
MauiJNP

Did you know that crates make good bedside tables?

its currently a desk side table. that reminds me of clean sweep once where
the family had two big dogs and each had a crate in their bedroom. the
organizers ended up making them tables so that you couldn't even tell they
were crates anymore. the family really liked it, but I wonder what the dogs
thought.

If his crate is Maui's safe place, you should probably keep it.
But if two kids *and* Maui can fit into it at one time, it's
larger than necessary for a Toy Poodle; if the space it takes up
in your bedroom is your concern, replace the crate with a
smaller one.

I actually had a hard time finding a good crate for Maui. I ended up with
one that it all metal see-thru (what I wanted, not solid walls) and it is 2
feet long, 18 inches high and 20 inches wide. It was the smallest one they
had so I got it but it really is very roomy for such a small dog. I got it
at petsmart after checking at Pet Supplies Plus also (which didn't have a
smaller one). I guess they don't make smaller ones that are the see-thru
kind like I wanted, which kinda stinks but oh well.

Crates really only need to be large enough for a
dog to stand and turn around comfortably - it's a relaxation
place, not an exercise pen.

A bonus to keeping Maui used to a crate is in the event you take
him on a plane or if you have to board him. A smaller crate
will also make it easier for you to carry and load into your
car.

thanks for the comments, I guess the crate will stay put.

Old August 30th 05, 07:08 PM
MauiJNP

I wouldn't take away the crate. Leave it in the corner and take off the
door should you not want to use it. There may come a time when you want
Maui to spend time in the crate. If it is always in your room, he will be
used to it. The very fact that Maui currently uses it to get away from
your
nephews tells me that it is still needed.

Get a dog bed as well, just put it in a different room that you spend a
lopt of time in. In our house, Moogli's crate is in the bedroom, and he
gets put in there about 1/3 of the time. In the living room, we have a
small dog bed under the table that he will sleep in if we are in there. We
had no problem with getting Moogli to try out the bed. Put him in there,
gave him a treat, and he figured out what it was for.

thanks for responding, I really liked the idea about taking the door off, I
think I will have to see about doing that.

Old August 31st 05, 04:28 PM
montana wildhack

On 2005-08-30 12:30:04 -0400, "MauiJNP" said:

Or since a dog bed doesn't have walls like a crate, will Maui not
really like that as much?

Bella's crate lives in the bedroom with the two gigantic dog pillows.
Bella sleeps on the bed, on a pillow, on the floor or in her crate. She
sleeps in the crate when she wants to lie on her back with her legs in
the air. There's nothing else in the room that lets her prop herself up
that way...

Old September 11th 05, 07:57 AM
Paul B

MauiJNP wrote:
, should I buy him a regular dog bed and just teach my nephews it is
off limits for them? Or since a dog bed doesn't have walls like a crate,
will Maui not really like that as much? Thanks for any opinions, advice,
comments, questions, concerns.

My dogs like to go to their dog beds, it's their own place and they like
to relax there. Roz's dog bed is on the left and Sam's is on the right,
frankly I couldn't care which bed they sleep in but to them it's
paramount indicating they get a sense of belonging. Roz does like to
hide under our bed sometimes (not a problem), she seems like the
security having something over her, but for most part as long as they
have access to their beds they are content.

Question on crate training... trichard Dog behavior 3 November 29th 04 05:28 PM
Crate re-training Marie Dog behavior 33 April 1st 04 12:16 AM
Crate re-training Marie Dog behavior 0 March 31st 04 05:48 AM
Crate re-training Marie Dog behavior 0 March 31st 04 05:48 AM
New Puppy Hates Crate Sarah Dog behavior 0 September 3rd 03 07:04 PM