2 dogs and bonding question

Old August 30th 05, 07:35 PM
MauiJNP

Default 2 dogs and bonding question

I always wanted 2 dogs. In the future (sometime within the next 2 years) I
plan to get a second poodle. My biggest concerns involve bonding. How
does getting a second dog change the bond I have with Maui. Will it weaken
it because of the divided attention? Will it strengthen it? Also, is it
harder to bond with a second dog because they don't get your complete
attention like the first one did? how do you encourage bonding between dogs
so that they can be good buddies to each other? thanks for any insight or
advice.

Old August 30th 05, 08:00 PM

on 2005-08-30 at 14:35 wrote:

I always wanted 2 dogs. In the future (sometime within the
next 2 years) I plan to get a second poodle. My biggest
concerns involve bonding. How does getting a second dog
change the bond I have with Maui.

now, *this*, i can answer. my experience is that getting a
second dog does not lessen the bond with the first. if
anything, it intensifies it. i found that the differences
between elliott and harriet made me appreciate them as
individuals even more.

Will it weaken it because of the divided attention? Will it
strengthen it?

i didn't find that dividing my attention was an issue. each
of my dogs were different in personality, so they each enjoyed
doing different things. i think the important thing is to
balance out the one-on-one time, the dog-dog time, and the
dog-dog-person time.

Also, is it harder to bond with a second dog because they
don't get your complete attention like the first one did?

in my experience, no. harriet suckered me in from the minute
i laid eyes on her. i had absolutely *no* trouble bonding
with her.

how do you encourage bonding between dogs so that they can be
good buddies to each other? thanks for any insight or
advice.

how is Maui with other dogs? does he enjoy hanging out with
them? as long as the two dogs get along, my experience is
that bonding is not a big issue--it'll happen.

how about volunteering to pet sit or foster a dog, so that you
can do a test run?

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)
Old August 30th 05, 08:34 PM
MauiJNP

I've seen many people entirely doting on multiple dogs., But it seems like
just about everyone does have a favorite.

I would hate to feel this way so that is what I am worried about.

I'm sure many people will assure you that your bond will be equal. And
perhaps it will. My question is, do YOU feel you can make it equal and
share?

that's what I am not sure of. I guess I would try to do certain things with
just one of them, maybe take one to the park one and the other one another
day and then maybe have a day where they both go. I guess I would do the
same thing when I run errands or go visit relatives (just take one and have
them take turns). I would really want it to be fair so I'd be willing to
work at it. I would love suggestions from people that can make it work and
how they do it.

Old August 30th 05, 08:42 PM
MauiJNP

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-08-30 at 14:35 wrote:

I always wanted 2 dogs. In the future (sometime within the
next 2 years) I plan to get a second poodle. My biggest
concerns involve bonding. How does getting a second dog
change the bond I have with Maui.

now, *this*, i can answer. my experience is that getting a
second dog does not lessen the bond with the first. if
anything, it intensifies it. i found that the differences
between elliott and harriet made me appreciate them as
individuals even more.

great, glad to hear it! I really want to make having two dogs work out.

Will it weaken it because of the divided attention? Will it
strengthen it?

i didn't find that dividing my attention was an issue. each
of my dogs were different in personality, so they each enjoyed
doing different things. i think the important thing is to
balance out the one-on-one time, the dog-dog time, and the
dog-dog-person time.

good point about different personalities, great idea for balancing.

Also, is it harder to bond with a second dog because they
don't get your complete attention like the first one did?

in my experience, no. harriet suckered me in from the minute
i laid eyes on her. i had absolutely *no* trouble bonding
with her.

I am easily in love too when it comes to dogs!

how do you encourage bonding between dogs so that they can be
good buddies to each other? thanks for any insight or
advice.

how is Maui with other dogs? does he enjoy hanging out with
them?

Maui loves other dogs and he is easily the submissive one because he always
plays with very big dogs (well big compared to him).

as long as the two dogs get along, my experience is
that bonding is not a big issue--it'll happen.

how about volunteering to pet sit or foster a dog, so that you
can do a test run?

I hoped to adopt from a shelter where I can do a test run but they rarely
get purebred poodles there and with severe allergies, that is really the
only way to go. I dog sit for my sisters dog occasionally but he had to
live outside and be crated downstairs because of allergies so it wasn't
really the same. Though, when Maui was outside with Riley, I would take 2
tennis balls and play with them at the same time, throwing the balls in
different directions and it worked out ok. Maui didn't see to care when I
was dividing the attention just slightly and I loved to see their
interactions. They were comical.

anyway, thanks for your input. I am glad to hear that it all sounds
do-able!

Old August 30th 05, 08:48 PM
Mary Healey

diddy wrote:
Senja was put off about it. ... SHE set the rules, that she
refused to be my dog unless Danny was gone from her life. I would not
make that concession. She died at 18 a very lonely unhappy willful
dog.

How incredibly sad.
Old August 30th 05, 09:28 PM
rpl

dog related stuff

please keep it in the dog groups, thanks.

pat
Old August 30th 05, 10:02 PM
ceb

"MauiJNP" wrote in
:

I always wanted 2 dogs. In the future (sometime within the next 2
years) I plan to get a second poodle. My biggest concerns involve
bonding. How does getting a second dog change the bond I have with
Maui. Will it weaken it because of the divided attention? Will it
strengthen it? Also, is it harder to bond with a second dog because
they don't get your complete attention like the first one did? how do
you encourage bonding between dogs so that they can be good buddies to
each other? thanks for any insight or advice.

I just got Queenie in January, after 3 years with just Zoe and me. It was
important to me that Zoe enjoyed playing with whatever new dog came to
live with us, and she and Queenie have a similar play style and commenced
playing instantly.

Queenie took some extra time to bond, not because she was the 2nd dog,
but because she hadn't really bonded to humans before (although she likes
everyone she sees).

I was very worried that Zoe would get jealous or depressed at having to
share me. And we have had our moments -- I have had to pay attention and
make adjustments to increase our one-on-one time, for instance, or just
make sure I'm giving the dogs equal time. Queenie can be a bit pushier so
it's easy for the balance to wind up tipping to her side, affection-wise.

But Zoe has loved having Queenie around so much. It didn't take long
before she was looking at her with a totally loving expression. They love
to play together and they keep each other company during the day.

I now think two is the perfect number of dogs! And I say this in spite of
some of the difficulties we had adjusting. Any big change on the home
front can be difficult, and the dogs had a couple of seemingly serious
squabbles, which scared the heck out of me and caused me to think "WHAT
have I DONE???" But now we are all happy most of the time.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old August 30th 05, 10:08 PM
Suja

MauiJNP wrote:

I always wanted 2 dogs. In the future (sometime within the next 2 years) I
plan to get a second poodle. My biggest concerns involve bonding. How
does getting a second dog change the bond I have with Maui. Will it weaken
it because of the divided attention?

Not in my experience. My two dogs are as different from each other as
can be. I adore them each for their personalities. I will say this,
however - although I love them both very much, I don't really feel the
same way towards them.

Will it strengthen it? Also, is it
harder to bond with a second dog because they don't get your complete
attention like the first one did?

Not at all. You'll love your second dog, only differently from your first.

how do you encourage bonding between dogs
so that they can be good buddies to each other? thanks for any insight or
advice.

Dogs tend to have no problems bonding with each other as long as their
personalities are complementary. Khan generally acts like he doesn't
care at all for Pan, whereas she is much more open and demonstrative
about how much she misses him. But, I've seen Khan go over and nuzzle
her, or lick her wounds when she's been hurt. He is not a demonstrative
dog, and that's probably as far as he's ever gone to show that he cares
for another dog.

Suja
Old August 31st 05, 03:07 AM
Wooly

Female cats don't spray. I had one with a bladder defect who peed
everywhere. Hie thee with thine cat to the vet in the morning for a
UTI check. They're cheap and easily treated.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 31st 05, 03:16 AM
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:07:21 GMT, Wooly wrote:

Female cats don't spray. I had one with a bladder defect who peed
everywhere. Hie thee with thine cat to the vet in the morning for a
UTI check. They're cheap and easily treated.

Female cats most certainly do spray. It's not as common as with
males, but it happens.

Mustang Sally

WOW!! [email protected] Dog behavior 13 July 1st 05 06:52 PM
Syberian Husky Gone Mad??? toothpick Dog behavior 111 May 3rd 05 04:03 PM
dog plroblem - pls help [email protected] Dog breeds 2 May 2nd 05 11:10 PM
hello from sunny GA - the Franklin diaries Janet B Dog behavior 10 April 8th 05 02:56 AM
Input please? MOMPEAGRAM Dog behavior 4 March 25th 05 03:52 AM