trying to decide which dog to get

Old September 3rd 05, 01:19 PM
Bob

Default trying to decide which dog to get

we currently have a 4 year old beagle and my fiancee is throwing a fit
for another dog. We visited a place called noah's ark and they are a no
kill shelter.

We liked one dog there. It was given up by its owner and labeled as
being "to much". I'm guessing the problem is in the potty training
department and chewing from the little info I could get from them. It
was very playful and interested in us.

We also went over to animal control and my fiancee wants to get one of
the dogs with some burn marks (not really sure what it is) just to help
out. I can completely understand this but all the dogs there seem quite
timid or agressive.

Our dog is a little bossy and stubborn but is quite playful after she
gets comfortable. I'm kind of torn on what we should get. I really love
the dog at noah's ark even though she might need some extra work. They
are also full right now which means they can't except anymore dogs and
the rest will just go into animal control anyway.

thanks in advance
Old September 3rd 05, 01:49 PM
dejablues

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread news:FxgSe.306176$x96.100106@attbi_s72: Beagles are

notoriously difficult to housebreak. You have one, and she's
apparently very good. But the one you are considering obviously is the

very
normal typical beagle.

Where did he say that he was going to adopt another Beagle?

Old September 3rd 05, 01:57 PM
Bob

sorry I forgot to mention that. they are not exactly sure the breed of
the dog but thought it might be half beagle and half daschound. we have
already decided not to get her and want to take another look down at
animal control.
Old September 3rd 05, 03:19 PM
Janet Puistonen

Bob wrote:
sorry I forgot to mention that. they are not exactly sure the breed of
the dog but thought it might be half beagle and half daschound. we
have already decided not to get her and want to take another look
down at animal control.

IIRC, there is good information on how to choose a dog to adopt at
www.dog-play.com

Old September 3rd 05, 03:39 PM
Tee

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Something to keep in mind is that many dogs act differently in a shelter
environment, particularly country-run vs. private & no-kill, than they would
normally. Its *possible* that the timid or aggressive personality you
describe is really just a byproduct of being in a loud, strange, busy place
where the dogs don't get one-on-one time. My very lovable & goofy female
would absolutely shut down in a shelter environment and be a quivering ball
of fear who'd show zero interest in people. I'm not saying this is a
guarantee but its something to take into consideration.

--
Tara

Old September 3rd 05, 07:39 PM
MauiJNP

we currently have a 4 year old beagle and my fiancee is throwing a fit for
another dog. We visited a place called noah's ark and they are a no kill
shelter.

it might also help you decide which dog to get if you have your current dog
meet both of them and see who he gets along with better

Old September 3rd 05, 08:33 PM

In article , MauiJNP wrote:
it might also help you decide which dog to get if you have your current dog
meet both of them and see who he gets along with better

I think that's useful for identifying immediate problems,
but I've found that shelter dogs can be so excited by
meeting someone new and by being out of their cage that
they're often too distracted to pay enough attention to your
dog for you to get a strong sense of how they'll get along.
And come to think of it, it's also been my experience that
it takes about three weeks for a dog to become settled
enough in his new home for him to start asserting
prerogative. I've learned not to take things for granted
on the basis of things going well the first few weeks.

"Some people call you the elites, I call you my base"
-- George W Bush, at a black-tie fundraising dinner
Old September 3rd 05, 09:10 PM
Janet Puistonen

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article , MauiJNP
wrote:
it might also help you decide which dog to get if you have your
current dog meet both of them and see who he gets along with better

I think that's useful for identifying immediate problems,
but I've found that shelter dogs can be so excited by
meeting someone new and by being out of their cage that
they're often too distracted to pay enough attention to your
dog for you to get a strong sense of how they'll get along.
And come to think of it, it's also been my experience that
it takes about three weeks for a dog to become settled
enough in his new home for him to start asserting
prerogative. I've learned not to take things for granted
on the basis of things going well the first few weeks.

Based on my recent adoption experience, I would agree. I think that a dog
adopted into a household with an already-resident pet really needs to go
with a free return policy.