elderly golden retriever behaving oddly

Old September 3rd 05, 07:10 PM

Default elderly golden retriever behaving oddly

I have just called on my neighbour to find him wondering what has
happened all of a sudden. His 11 year old wonderfull golden retriever
has just wrecked the downstairs room where she was left alone for less
than an hour.

When I saw her which was an hour after the incident, she was happy and
content but looking elderly, sitting on the lawn as though nothing had
happened.

This dog and its master have been wonderful companions for all these 11
years and suddenly in the last week the dogs manner/demeanor has
changed.

In this short week, she has broken through the garden fencing 4 times.
This has taken considerable effort and strength on her part.

She has broken the car window, which was open a few inches and escaped
too.

Her previous behaviour has been perfect.

There has been no change in their circumstances, or timetable. She is
taken for long country walks several times a day. They have always been
very much attached but it seems the dog has started to panic all of a
sudden.

She is being taken to the vet, but I wondered if any one else has had
experience of this problem, and could offer an explanation/advice,
please.

Old September 3rd 05, 07:22 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
She is being taken to the vet, but I wondered if any one else has had
experience of this problem, and could offer an explanation/advice,
please.

Could be any one (or more!) of a number of things, including
things like sight or hearing loss, canine cognitive
disfunction (doggy Alzheimers), and so on. It may turn out
to be not age-related - pain from an injury or disease, for
example. A vet appointment is just the ticket to work
through the issues.

Number of articles touting the "Bush Boom" on nationalreview.com: 44
Change in median income in the US, 2001-2004: -$673.00
Old September 4th 05, 12:27 AM
buglady

wrote in message
oups.com...
.. His 11 year old wonderfull golden retriever
has just wrecked the downstairs room where she was left alone for less
than an hour.

When I saw her which was an hour after the incident, she was happy and
content but looking elderly, sitting on the lawn as though nothing had
happened.

In this short week, she has broken through the garden fencing 4 times.
This has taken considerable effort and strength on her part.

.........I take it he wasn't home when that happened? Do you think anyone
has been trying to break into the house when he's not there?

........I'd lock her in a room, make all the motions of leaving, including
moving the car down the street, then sneak back and go peek in the window
and see what's up. Would be interested in knowing whether she was barking.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 4th 05, 03:23 PM
Steve Crane

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
She is being taken to the vet, but I wondered if any one else has had
experience of this problem, and could offer an explanation/advice,
please.

Could be any one (or more!) of a number of things, including
things like sight or hearing loss, canine cognitive
disfunction (doggy Alzheimers), and so on.

A sign of Canine cognitive dysfunction is not normally to be
destructive - but it can be. Work with your vet and see if s/he agrees.
If that is the case there are solutions - Pfizer makes a drug called
selegeline, and there is Prescription Diet b/d, both have been
effective for this problem.