Off-topic, but very funny

Old September 9th 05, 12:13 PM

Default Off-topic, but very funny

In article ,
~~Phil~~ wrote:
Lighten up. I have posted here semi-often for several years.
(though not much lately cause of the 'Puppy lunatic.')

Who would have thought that there's an upside to Jerry's
posts?

Anyway, posts and spam like yours are one of the major virus
vectors. It would have been a mistake for someone to take a
look at the link you posted.

"Finger pointing" is how incompetent, corrupt political leaders
describe the public interest in accountability -- Max Sawicky
Old September 9th 05, 01:56 PM

~~Phil~~ wrote:
Let me guess - one of your many alias 'Puppy Wiz'?

No - unlike you, for the 20+ years I've been participating
in Usenet I've always given my full name and real email
address. I think honest discussion requires honest
identity.

However, it's a fact that one of the primary mechanisms used
to inject viruses into host machines is to send spam or post
Usenet messages saying "Check this out!" with a URL, which
actually points to an executable containing a virus, an
exploit targeting known browser vulnerabilities, and so on.
Opening those URLs is foolish.

Old September 9th 05, 05:35 PM

~~Phil~~ wrote:
I'm willing to talk if you are legit. If you have been in newsgroups
for 20+ years (??) then you would know very quickly that it is
DUMB to give out a legit, or at least un-altered email address
because in no time flat you will be FLOODED with email spam.

I don't have a spam problem. I've also never had a computer
virus (knock on wood) and the only breakin I've had in over
20 years was because of a firmware bug on a webcam I have
(the company has fixed the bug and released new firmware,
which I've installed). I know how to use technology and I
understand both systems and network security reasonably well
(I'm a technical leader with the strategic cryptographic
development group in the security technology business unit
of the largest network hardware vendor). Security doesn't
work unless you've got some basic assurances about identity.
This isn't a black or white thing, but a continuum. I've
posted pretty consistently under the same identity for
several decades and people can be pretty sure that this post
is from the same Melinda Shore as previous post. Even if a
miscreant tries to forge posts as me, the headers will
betray the forgery.

In the meantime, nobody knows you from Adam, you've
concealed your identity, and you've posted a "HEY, CHECK
THIS OUT" article containing a suspicious URL. There's no
reason to trust you and there's every reason to mistrust
the URL you provided, given what's been going on with
viruses and system compromises. Frankly, I've become
increasingly sympathetic to companies like Microsoft because
users do stupid things like following fundamentally
untrustworthy links and allowing their systems to become
compromised. As I said, it would be foolish to open the URL
you provided.

Old September 9th 05, 09:33 PM

on 2005-09-09 at 16:24 wrote:

I'm willing to talk if you are legit. If you have been in
newsgroups for 20+ years (??) then you would know very
quickly that it is DUMB to give out a legit, or at least
un-altered email address because in no time flat you will be
FLOODED with email spam.

filters are a Very Good Thing.

I am not a spammer. Like I said I have been a member in this
group for several years. Long before the nut-job Puppy wiz
ruined the group with his hate filled posts.

filters are a Very Good Thing.

I have not posted much in here for a few months because of
the 'Stupid, painful, hurtful, crap' that that Puppy Wiz clod
posted after I mentioned in here of the painful loss I
suffered losing one of my dogs earlier this year.

filters are a Very Good Thing.

I have come back once in a while to check out the tone of
this place. To see if hopefully it had gotten any better.

filters are a Very Good Thing.

I thought that the regs in here could appreciate a laugh, so
I passed on a link to a humorous little video.

off topic crap is not generally appreciated in this group.

Guess I'll just move on and give up on this group. In no time
it will be as dead as Puppy wizzers heart.

Puppy who?

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)
Old September 10th 05, 02:26 AM
diannes

~~Phil~~ wrote:

I'm willing to talk if you are legit. If you have been in newsgroups
for 20+ years (??) then you would know very quickly that it is
DUMB to give out a legit, or at least un-altered email address
because in no time flat you will be FLOODED with email spam.

This is oft-repeated advice, but personally I haven't found it to
be true. I get maybe one spam every two or three days at this email
address. But another of my addresses which I've never used for
Usenet and appears only a handful of times on the web, routinely
gets 2K+ spams per day.

And that still doesn't explain the lack of a real name. Anonymous
handles are just *so* aol, don't you think?

JFWIW,

Dianne
Old September 10th 05, 06:38 AM

In article , Dave Lyle wrote:
My OFFICIAL RoadRunner account email address, which I have NEVER used,
gets the most spam. RR must sell their address list.

The big services tend to be victims of "dictionary" spam,
where the spammer simply sends to a list of what it thinks
are possible email addresses. It costs them virtually
nothing if the mail fails to be delivered.

"Finger pointing" is how incompetent, corrupt political leaders
describe the public interest in accountability -- Max Sawicky

off topic: I thought this was funny Raindrop Dog breeds 0 June 7th 05 06:23 AM
Funny Sonny Lone Hansen Dog behavior 28 December 5th 03 08:45 PM
Funny Sonny Lone Hansen Dog behavior 0 December 5th 03 06:01 PM
Funny Sonny Lone Hansen Dog behavior 0 December 5th 03 06:01 PM
Funny Sonny Lone Hansen Dog behavior 0 December 5th 03 06:01 PM