Dog already neutered

Old September 9th 05, 09:25 PM

Default Dog already neutered

We are new dog owners and adopted a dog from our local pound. We took
the dog to a local vet, and told them we would like to have the dog
neutered, but did not have his history.

He did not have a scrotum, and the vet told us that he probably had
undescended testes. They told us they could feel them, and they were
just under the skin.

So we took him in for the operation, and when we picked him up they
told us that "they believed" he had already had the operation, after
they performed exploratory surgery to be sure. They said they performed
the exploratory surgery to be sure that the testicles were not in his
abdomen somewhere (a cancer risk)..

They admitted the mistake of wrongly identifying the fat layer as
hiding the testicles. After the vet explaining that what they did was
for his own good, we paid the $400 and left...

That night, while petting the dog, he rolled over, and from the shaved
area I found a small inch long scar on his abdomen at the very end,
just under the rectum. It almmost looks like a scar, or a hairline...Im
not sure.

Anyway - is this common to do 'exploratory' surgery like this? Was the
vet not prudent enough to begin with? Should we be angry that they cut
him open without being 'sure' that they would be right?

Thanks for ANY information!

Old September 10th 05, 12:40 AM
Spot

It can be hard to tell I would think if he had been done so it may have been
necessary to find out.

I personally would be more pissed that he charged me that kind of money.
Hell the last spay I paid for just this March only cost 200.00.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old September 10th 05, 04:05 AM
ZPL

$400 - you got screwed. Had my 6 1/2 month old neutered last week - he's 85
pounds and it cost me $80.....

"Spot" wrote in message
It can be hard to tell I would think if he had been done so it may have
been
necessary to find out.

I personally would be more pissed that he charged me that kind of money.
Hell the last spay I paid for just this March only cost 200.00.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old September 10th 05, 04:14 AM
Sharon

$400 - you got screwed. Had my 6 1/2 month old neutered last week - he's
85 pounds and it cost me $80.....

A neuter is one thing with the testicles obviously descended. But invasive
surgery into the abdomen to explore for undescended testicles takes much
more time and is more complicated. Not saying it was warranted, just that
the cost may not be *too* out of whack.

neutered dog problem oldhag Dog health 2 January 12th 05 06:02 AM
Neutered & "Tumor" removed Shock Dog health 4 March 16th 04 07:01 AM
Here's a new one Melinda Shore Dog behavior 249 January 21st 04 10:10 PM
Neutered 11/24/03 ??? Gizzy Dog health 2 November 30th 03 02:10 PM
Neutered 11/24/03 ??? Gizzy Dog health 0 November 26th 03 06:27 AM