dilemma

Old September 16th 04, 06:52 PM
care

Default dilemma

Question: is it ethical/moral to euthanize an 8 yr old dog (large mixed
breed) who is mostly well behaved and loving but with some aggresive traits
that are frightening to those who don't know him (no history of actual
biting, but has growled, lunged and snapped, and lots of barking)?

We feel unsafe in our deteriorating neighbourhood and need to move. There
have been no takers for a new home for our dog despite extensive efforts to
advertise that he needs a new home.

Is euthanizing in this case considered an act of convenience or necessity?
Are we obligated to stay in order for the dog to live? He has had a cushy
life and we would not feel good about placing him in a cage/shelter for the
rest of his days or placing him in a home where a new owner may abuse him
due to misunderstanding his aggresiveness. One animal lover advised that
based on his traits he is unadoptable but I know that is a matter of
opinion. We want to do the right thing.

Any advice?

Old September 16th 04, 07:23 PM
Rocky

care said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Question: is it ethical/moral to euthanize an 8 yr old dog
(large mixed breed) who is mostly well behaved and loving
but with some aggresive traits that are frightening to
those who don't know him (no history of actual biting, but
has growled, lunged and snapped, and lots of barking)?

You've tried *all* of the alternatives? Especially training
under the guidance of a qualified instructor?

We feel unsafe in our deteriorating neighbourhood and need
to move. There have been no takers for a new home for our
dog despite extensive efforts to advertise that he needs a
new home.

You haven't explained why you can't take this nameless dog with
you.

Is euthanizing in this case considered an act of
convenience or necessity?

In this case, it's your *obligation* to euthanise him rather
than pass the problem of an unadoptable dog on to a shelter.
When the shelter euthanises him, it'll be in the company of
strangers instead of you and his vet.

Are we obligated to stay in order for the dog to live? He
has had a cushy life and we would not feel good about
placing him in a cage/shelter for the rest of his days or
placing him in a home where a new owner may abuse him due
to misunderstanding his aggresiveness. One animal lover
advised that based on his traits he is unadoptable but I
know that is a matter of opinion. We want to do the right
thing.

The right thing to do? Take him with you, get him some good
training, and give him a nice home. Why are you referring to a
"cage for the rest of his days"?

Old September 16th 04, 10:16 PM
Sunflower

Agree 100%. You need to consult a behaviorist, and only if that fails after
quite some time, then absolutely euthanize the dog yourself rather than
having a stranger do it. You owe it to the dog. And, you need to
understand what a lifetime committment *really* means, which can sometimes
include a premature death. It's irresponsible to shuck that off on someone
else on the delusion that you are "giving the dog a chance". That's
bullshit. A dog with that description would *immediately* be euthanized at
any shelter, so don't play out that fantasy in your head. If it comes down
to it, do the responsible thing yourself. And, if you *haven't* done the
behaviorist route, then know that you *haven't* done everything possible to
live up to your committment to this animal and that his death *is* a matter
of convenience to you rather than a necessary and logical end.

Old September 16th 04, 11:04 PM
Tirya

"care" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Is there a reason that you can't move somewhere and take the dog with you?

Tirya