Totally OT - We're alive!

Old September 12th 05, 04:52 PM
flick

Default Totally OT - We're alive!

We're alive and relatively unscathed. Small cosmetic damage to the house.
The shed collapsed, taking the hot water heater with it. 2 chicks died.
Big tree came down in front of house, had to re-do some fence.

Dogs fine. Rabbits fine. The rest of the chickens, ditto - 2 hens even
laid eggs the day of the storm.

The winds were extremely high. The house rocked and shook. Telephone poles
were snapped off.

Two weeks without power (just came on last night). Still have to boil
water. No phone or cell phone. Our 4 acres of woods is a mess - all the
huge trees were uprooted - ALL - and over half the rest were snapped in
half.

Donate to the Red Cross. I can't say enough good things about 'em. They
were here immediately, helping.

Never buy an electric stove. If we hadn't been able to cook, life would
have been much grimmer. Although there's certainly no lack of firewood
sigh.

MREs are delicious.

Martial law. Soldiers everywhere - a great bunch of mostly young guys which
my teenage daughter critiques, lol.

I strongly recommend being armed, or at least having a working gun in the
house just in case. In times like these, all sorts of strange people show
up at your house, even out in the country, to find out if they can "help."
Some of them are bad guys. Helpful to have a weapon when you can't dial
911.

flick, reporting from the disaster zone

Old September 12th 05, 04:59 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"flick" wrote in news:7b65d$4325a44f$94402b1b$10459
@STARBAND.NET:

We're alive and relatively unscathed.

We are all glad to hear this.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old September 12th 05, 05:21 PM
KWBrown

"flick" wrote in news:7b65d$4325a44f$94402b1b$10459
@STARBAND.NET:

We're alive and relatively unscathed.

Glad to hear it.

Hang in there during your long rebuild,

--
Kate
and Storm and Hamish the FCRs
Old September 12th 05, 10:39 PM
Sionnach

"flick" wrote in message
We're alive and relatively unscathed.

I'm thrilled to hear it! And I don't think it's OT at all.

Old September 12th 05, 10:45 PM
Janet Puistonen

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:52:58 -0500, "flick"
wrote:

[]
2 hens even laid eggs the day of the storm.

Were these hens named Nagin and Blanco by any chance?

I'm pretty sure those were Brown eggs, Jack.

Old September 12th 05, 11:13 PM

on 2005-09-12 at 21:45 wrote:

I'm pretty sure those were Brown eggs, Jack.

heh.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in836456.shtml

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/10/05)
Old September 12th 05, 11:20 PM

In article e.net,
shelly wrote:
on 2005-09-12 at 21:45 wrote:
I'm pretty sure those were Brown eggs, Jack.

heh.

The juxtaposition of the reporter writing "His decision was
not a surprise" with Bush saying "Maybe you know something I
don't know" in response to a question about the resignation
kinda captures the essence of the president.

Seen elsewhe Trump's new catchphrase, "You're doing a
heck of a job."

It is worth pointing out that the difference between the free market and
cronyism is not subtle, and getting less subtle by the minute -- John Holbo
Old September 12th 05, 11:31 PM

on 2005-09-12 at 18:20 wrote:

The juxtaposition of the reporter writing "His decision was
not a surprise" with Bush saying "Maybe you know something I
don't know" in response to a question about the resignation
kinda captures the essence of the president.

snort yathink?

Seen elsewhe Trump's new catchphrase, "You're doing a
heck of a job."

it is *not* nice to make me choke on my sunflower seeds. not
nice at all.

Old September 13th 05, 01:44 PM
Janet Puistonen

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:13:18 -0500, shelly
wrote:

on 2005-09-12 at 21:45 wrote:

I'm pretty sure those were Brown eggs, Jack.

heh.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in836456.shtml

Brown at least fell on his sword, unlike the disgraceful Democrats,
Nagin and Blanco, who *still* haven't even managed to accept
responsibility for this:

http://billhobbs.com/hobbsonline/007188.html

You can *always* count on Democrats to blame everyone else but
themselves.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm

Disgraceful.

This is quoted from someone else on another newsgroup:

Once again, just for clarity's sake:

http://thinkprogress.org/katrina-timeline

Plus, if you're interested:

http://dailykos.com/story/2005/9/7/03232/64789
"Easily Disprovable Lies About Hurricane Katrina Response

Over the last several days many of us have noticed quite a few "talking
points" being disseminated by various people associated with the White
House. I understand that spin is just a part of life in political
circles. Even so, there are three points which are particularly
egregious. These three points are all designed to deflect blame from the
federal level to the state and local level, and they are all easily
proven to be false.

The GOP is using this strategy to dishonestly assign blame while also
saying, "Now is not the time to play the blame game." Meanwhile, the DNC
has suspended political fund raising and given its staff time off to
assist relief efforts for the victims of Katrina. Decent people of all
political philosophies need to support those who put aside politics in
this time of crisis, and condemn those who merely pay lip service to
unity as they fan the flames of divisiveness with their deceitful
rhetoric.

The three dishonest talking points being spread by the GOP are these:

1) The Mayor of New Orleans did not follow the portion of the New
Orleans Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan, which specifies
"Special arrangements will be made to evacuate persons unable to
evacuate themselves."

If this quote is taken in context, it is clear that it is referring to
evacuating people to an emergency shelter within the city, not
evacuating people to points outside the city. The Mayor did implement an
emergency bussing system that evacuated the city's poor and disabled to
the Superdome.

This can be verified by reading the plan at
http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=46&tabid=26

2) The Governor of Louisiana failed to request federal help in a timely
manner.

The Governor requested help on August 28, 2005 as can be easily seen by
viewing her official request at
http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster%20...%20Request.pdf

The official White House response to this request is in the press
release at
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050829-2.html

In fact, the President declared a State of Emergency in Louisiana on
August 26, 2005 that technically made the Governor's request
unnecessary. This can be seen from the official White House press
release at
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050827-1.html

3) Federal Agencies were unable to respond in a timely manner because
the Governor did not request their help.

Actually, once the President declared the State of Emergency on August
26, 2005, it triggered something called "An Incident of National
Significance." According to the United States National Response Plan,
this has quite a few consequences, all of which are designed to put the
Federal Government in charge, eliminate delays based on paperwork, and
eliminate any need for local officials to ask for help. Here are some
quotes:

"The President leads the Nation in responding efficiently and ensuring
the necessary resources are applied quickly and effectively to all
Incidents of National Significance."

"Standard procedures regarding requests for assistance may be expedited,
or under extreme circumstances, suspended in the immediate aftermath of
an event of catastrophic magnitude."

The US National Response Plan can be found at
http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interwe...P_FullText.pdf

There is quite a bit more, but those two quotes cover the major points.
By declaring a State of Emergency, the President officially took charge
of the situation, whether he realized it or not. And once it was clear
that Hurricane Katrina was an event of "catastrophic magnitude" there
should have been no need for FEMA, nor any other Federal agencies to
wait until state or local government requested help from them.
These blatant lies are an attempt to discredit the people who are
still busy with their heroic attempts to save even more lives in the
affected states. Anyone who would knowingly spread these lies
(particularly while there are still people trapped in their homes,
praying for rescue) has clearly sold their soul to pay for their
political agenda. Bearing false witness against someone who is
struggling to save the lives of our most helpless citizens is clearly
beyond any sin previously committed by either party."

Old September 13th 05, 06:01 PM
Janet Puistonen

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
snip
Keep the insults coming, Jack. Keep providing reasons to ignore anything and
everything you have to say on the subject.