questions before next vet visit

Old September 13th 05, 05:17 PM
MauiJNP

Default questions before next vet visit

Hello!

My dog, Maui (neutered toy poodle who turned 1 on June 28th) is going to the
vet in October for the following:

1= rabies booster- vet said he needed it again because he was less than a
year when he got it the first time (he was 6 months old), she explained this
would be something he needed every 2-3 years after this next one.

2= distemper- vet said this is required every year

3= a check for intestinal parasites which requires a stool sample

4= blood test to check for heartworm, vet said she will do it every 2 years
after this year

Before I go ahead with all this stuff, I wanted to see what everyone else
does when it comes to shots and tests. Other people tell me that they don't
do all this stuff and that boosters and such are not necessary. Also, a
friend tried telling me that since Maui's on heartworm every month since
birth, he should be ok and I don't need to do the test for it. As for the
stool sample, I was wondering how necessary this is since he appears
healthy. The bottom line is basically, I will do what is necessary but I'd
hate to have extra shots or bloodwork, which is painful for Maui. I don't
want to put him through that if it isn't needed. I don't want to discuss it
with my vet because I don't see her being able to be objective so I am
asking here. Please post any comments, advice or stories on how you
handling this situations with your own pets. Thanks.

Old September 13th 05, 05:51 PM
Janet Puistonen

MauiJNP wrote:
[...]

AFAIK, periodic boosters on distemper and rabies et al are necessary,
although the frequency with which they are given as standard practice has
declined in recent years, presumably because of improvements in vaccines.
Rabies, for example, is now good for three years. Same thing with heartworm
test--they used to have to do it every year, because giving the meds to a
dog that had become infected was not safe, but now don't have to. Doing a
periodic stool sample is a good idea, but probably not absolutely necessary
unless there are symptoms.

Your vet is supposed to be a scientist, and as such is the one who is
supposed to objective about your dog's care and health. (You, as the owner,
are the one who is allowed to be un-objective. G) My vet is very good
about explaining the pros and cons of any course of treatment or
vaccination. He gives me information, makes a recommendation, and I make the
final decision. If you don't trust your vet to do that, you should find one
with whom you can have such a relationship, IMHO.

Old September 13th 05, 06:41 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"MauiJNP" wrote in
:

Hello!

My dog, Maui (neutered toy poodle who turned 1 on June 28th) is going
to the vet in October for the following:

1= rabies booster- vet said he needed it again because he was less
than a year when he got it the first time (he was 6 months old), she
explained this would be something he needed every 2-3 years after this
next one.

Here in Gatineau, Moogli had to get a rabies shot at 6 months, another at a
year, and every 2 years after that. Most places have this regulated in
municipal by-laws. You should probably check it out.

The stool sample is also a good idea. Just because Maui looks healthy
doesn't mean that he isn't carrying some intestinal parasites that could be
a problem in the future.

The others I don't know about.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old September 13th 05, 08:07 PM
Sharon

Doing a periodic stool sample is a good idea, but probably not absolutely
necessary unless there are symptoms.

Since zoonotic transmission to humans is possible, I wouldn't skip this part
at all. Not all stages of infestation are symptomatic. Not only that, a
simple fecal float or smear may not show the parasites in their various
stages. I prefer to just strategically deworm at the yearly check-up. Save
the $ on the fecal and just deworm.

-Sharon

Old September 13th 05, 09:30 PM
Janet Puistonen

Sharon wrote:
Doing a periodic stool sample is a good idea, but probably not
absolutely necessary unless there are symptoms.

Since zoonotic transmission to humans is possible, I wouldn't skip
this part at all. Not all stages of infestation are symptomatic. Not
only that, a simple fecal float or smear may not show the parasites
in their various stages. I prefer to just strategically deworm at the
yearly check-up. Save the $ on the fecal and just deworm.

-Sharon

Are dewormers effective for all kinds of worms, or at least all the common
types?

Old September 14th 05, 12:54 AM
Sharon

Are dewormers effective for all kinds of worms, or at least all the common
types?

Certain types are (Drontel - kills the 4 major intestinal parasites). Over
the counter dewormers are not.

-Sharon

Old September 14th 05, 01:18 PM
Janet B

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:17:15 -0400, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

1= rabies booster- vet said he needed it again because he was less than a
year when he got it the first time (he was 6 months old), she explained this
would be something he needed every 2-3 years after this next one.

Yes - first vaccination as puppy, then a year later, then every 3
years in most states, as required by law. Some states have a 1 year
rule.

2= distemper- vet said this is required every year

Not required at all (not by law, but initial vaccination for these
things is important). I give puppy rounds and year booster and then
stop.

3= a check for intestinal parasites which requires a stool sample

Always a reasonable thing, but since my dogs are on Heartguard plus
year-round, it's highly unlikely that anything will be found and never
has been.

4= blood test to check for heartworm, vet said she will do it every 2 years
after this year

I have mixed feelings on this. By law, they can't prescribe without
making sure the dog doesn't have heartworm. Since I keep my dogs on
year-round (the skeeters dont seem to die even in winter), I don't
quite get it, but don't object totally either.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old September 14th 05, 01:26 PM
buglady

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
My dog, Maui (neutered toy poodle who turned 1 on June 28th) is going to

the
vet in October for the following:

1= rabies booster- vet said he needed it again because he was less than a
year when he got it the first time (he was 6 months old), she explained

this
would be something he needed every 2-3 years after this next one.

.........Yes, OK.

2= distemper- vet said this is required every year

...........I'd get one more, then consider risk vs. benefit when getting any
more. Depends on where you go with your dog and the incidence of disease in
your area. It is not required by law. If she says she sees a lot of
distemper, ask if the dogs that contracted it had ever been vaccinated, how
old they were and what the status of their health was when they got sick. I
don't believe in scare tactics when considering vaccinations.

3= a check for intestinal parasites which requires a stool sample

.........depends on if you walk your dog around, go to parks, and whether or
not such things as hookworm are prevalent in your area. I don't do this
personally.

4= blood test to check for heartworm, vet said she will do it every 2

years
after this year

Also, a
friend tried telling me that since Maui's on heartworm every month since
birth, he should be ok and I don't need to do the test for it.

........I doubt he was on heartworm meds since birth. They usually don't
start giving them until a few months old. If you don't live in an area
where there's mosquitos every month of the year, don't take your dog out at
dawn and dusk or leave him out all night, maybe you can skip this. Meds may
not be 100% effective if the dog has thrown up the pill 2 months in a row.
It's fairly cheap insurance.

I don't want to discuss it
with my vet because I don't see her being able to be objective so I am
asking here.

.........I'd discuss it with your vet. You've got nothing to lose. At least
she's not pushing 4 in 1 shots every year, which are useless, AFAIC. Sounds
like a reasonable person.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 14th 05, 01:42 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:26:20 GMT, "buglady"
, clicked their heels and said:

At least
she's not pushing 4 in 1 shots every year, which are useless, AFAIC. Sounds
like a reasonable person.

buglady

I'm betting she IS. She's undoubtedly using "distemper" as DHPP or
possibly still DHLPP (Or Maui's owner is using it).

Old September 14th 05, 09:42 PM
MauiJNP

[...]

Thanks! I don't really have a good relationship with my vet, I don't even
know their name because they are constantly rotating and hiring new ones. I
will have to really make them take a moment to sit with me and explain
everything they want to do and why and also get to know them better.

Whelping questions Rainstir Dog breeds 5 January 18th 05 04:11 PM
Visit The First Theresa Willis Dog behavior 72 January 2nd 04 04:05 AM
Visit The First Theresa Willis Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 03:09 AM