lab chews through the wall

Old September 20th 05, 02:04 AM
E Sears

Default lab chews through the wall

i hope the subject got your attention, because it sure did when i got home
yesterday evening. my 3 year old black lab chewed and clawed through the
drywall in our bathroom. i don't know how or why he stopped short of going
all the way through the wall to our backyard...

....our dog is suffering from sever anxiety that is brought on by noise. it
started at the beginning of this year with thunderstorms. he sensed the
storm approaching and would go to his crate (he's crate trained since a
puppy) and dig until he collapsed from exhaustion. it's now to the point
that the timer on the oven sets off his panic attack. znything from thunder
to jets to beeps to vacuums to you name it...

my dilema, well, our dilema as a family...we don't think we can keep him. i
am in the service and often deployed and my wife is limited because of our
kids. the dog's demands are becoming burdensome both financially (either
repairing our home or medical bills/prescriptions for him) and mentally. i
love him, and can't stand the thought of losing my buddy but i need to find
a new home for him or i'm faced with destroying him.
other that his anxiety attacks, he is amazingly gentle and loving. i have
no hesitation leaving my infant on the floor next to him or letting my
toddler climb all over him. he is a member of the family, and he's in need.

can anyone help. e in va beach.

Old September 20th 05, 02:37 AM
Tee

"E Sears" wrote in message
[...]

If you, a person & family who have bonded with this dog and raised him from
a puppy, cannot deal with him and his issues then I can guarantee you that
the chances of finding a total stranger who will are slim to none. Your
dog, if he got into rescue, would probably remain in rescue for life.

See your veterinarian and tell him/her about the issue, the severity of the
issue and that if you cannot find a way to help him and manage him
immediately that you plan to euthanize him (because dumping him on a rescue
or shelter is the cruelest thing you could ever possibly do with a dog like
this).

There are medications to help dogs with serious issues. They won't cure
your dog but they'll help and if you can keep the dog from going into a
panic attack then you have a pretty good chance of learning how to work with
him and try to resolve the issue through time, patience, effort and hope.

--
Tara

Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 176 March 6th 04 01:59 AM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 07:05 PM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 07:05 PM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 07:05 PM
Dog chews it's nails... PBOY Dog behavior 8 December 25th 03 09:07 PM