Repair of Flexi3 Long

Old September 21st 05, 07:42 PM

Default Repair of Flexi3 Long

Hi there.
I Googled this subject but found nothing. I have a Flexi3 Long leash
which I use to walk my Doberman cross and find it excellent for a)
control and b) giving her the freedom she wants. However, on a recent
walk, the cord broke at full extension and it looks like it had simply
frayed at that point. Flexi USA tell me that they do not repair
leashes as parts are so expensive to ship from Germany but it seems
such a waste to throw the whole thing out. Has anyone repaired their
Flexi and, if so, can you provide some guidance on how to do it?

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Jim

Old October 10th 08, 08:46 PM
orion orion is offline
Junior Member

I bought a Flexi3 from a garage sale for a dollar, it was in the package so I did not look at it but when I got it home the cord was frayed at the end soit would not play out. That is OK; I would have bought it anyways.

I took out the 3 screws. There is a stud in the seam opposite the handle, other than that there is just a lip on one side of the case that clips into the other side. I used 2 screwdrivers, one to maintain the opening while the other prys. Be careful not to use too much force as the plastic will deform. Go slow and work around; sometimes you may have to push in the lip but not too far.

The 2 sides come apart, keep the side with the external screw access upwards as you are separating them, the string holder and buttons are in the back side. There is a spring so if it is really would up it could come apart quick and hit you but that would be rare. Make sure to hold the cord as you are separating case and after the case is off let the spring unwind all the way slowly, count the number of rounds it unwinds for re-assembly. I did not take out any other parts such as the buttons or the wheel/spring so it was rather easy. I cut the dog end, re-threaded and re-tied the plastic dog-end clip, wound the string. With the string on the wheel, add the number of turns counted in disassembly to put extra pull on the wheel so that when you are done the string goes all the way back in after it is pulled out. Put sides together and replace screws, I stepped on the 2 halves after the screws were loosely in so as to close the case completely.
Orion