Old dog problems

Old September 22nd 05, 08:14 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Old dog problems

I have a 14 to 16 year old lhasa apso that for no reason I can figure has
broken house training. It's not like he can't hold it. I mean when we go
to bed at 11pm he gets on his bed and he will lay there until my partner
will get up whether that be 6AM or 1PM, the dalmanatian will go out through
the dog door and go do her burisness, but the lhasa wont. He'll just follow
us around the house, if we go into the home office he'll come in there and
laydown, eventually peeing on the floor.

If we try to coax him out the sliding glass door to go do his business,
he'll just laydown and ignore us, we have to either pick him up and put him
outside, or we have to drag him lightly by his collar to get him to go
outside.

He use to go over on the rock field, but now he pees right outside the
sliding glass door and often has a bowel movement in the same spot, then
he'll walk back in through the dog door.

What gives, is this just senility settling in. My Vet has given me some
pills for him for pain just in case thats it, but thats not helping
anything.

Im just about at my wits end with him, he's been with me forever and a day,
AND I can tolerate just about anything like chewing up things (which
neither of our dogs do), but going to the bathroom in the house just gets to
me.

What to do?

Old September 22nd 05, 02:55 PM
Mark Shaw

GamePlayer No. 1058 wrote:
I have a 14 to 16 year old lhasa apso that for no reason I can figure has
broken house training. It's not like he can't hold it. I mean when we go
to bed at 11pm he gets on his bed and he will lay there until my partner
will get up whether that be 6AM or 1PM, the dalmanatian will go out through
the dog door and go do her burisness, but the lhasa wont. He'll just follow
us around the house, if we go into the home office he'll come in there and
laydown, eventually peeing on the floor.

[...]

What gives, is this just senility settling in. My Vet has given me some
pills for him for pain just in case thats it, but thats not helping
anything.

If you've explained this to your vet and that's all s/he's done,
I'd recommend getting a second opinion. Look for a vet who
specializes in geriatric dogs.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Man is a dog's idea of what God should be." -Holbrook Jackson
Old September 22nd 05, 05:32 PM
Rocky

"GamePlayer No. 1058" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Im just about at my wits end with him, he's been with me
forever and a day, AND I can tolerate just about anything
like chewing up things (which neither of our dogs do), but
going to the bathroom in the house just gets to me.

What to do?

Treat your elder dog with dignity.

For one, I'd go out with him - no matter the time. And I'd
spend a few minutes quiet moments with him while you're at it,
appreciating what a good companion he's been for 14+ years.

Old September 22nd 05, 05:49 PM

on 2005-09-22 at 16:32 wrote:

Treat your elder dog with dignity.

For one, I'd go out with him - no matter the time. And I'd
spend a few minutes quiet moments with him while you're at
it, appreciating what a good companion he's been for 14+
years.

amen. even if you aren't someone who enjoys going outside
with your dog, try thinking of it as taking a moment to relax,
meditate, etc. it can be difficult to find quiet moments, so
i tend to take advantage of them whenever i can. if that
means standing in the rain at 2am while my dog pees (cuz y'all
*know* she's not gonna go out in the rain by herself), then
that's fine with me. i know that i'll appreciate those
memories when she's gone.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old September 22nd 05, 06:08 PM
Mark Shaw

shelly wrote:
on 2005-09-22 at 16:32 wrote:

Treat your elder dog with dignity.

For one, I'd go out with him - no matter the time. And I'd
spend a few minutes quiet moments with him while you're at
it, appreciating what a good companion he's been for 14+
years.

amen. even if you aren't someone who enjoys going outside
with your dog, try thinking of it as taking a moment to relax,
meditate, etc. it can be difficult to find quiet moments, so
i tend to take advantage of them whenever i can. if that
means standing in the rain at 2am while my dog pees (cuz y'all
*know* she's not gonna go out in the rain by herself), then
that's fine with me. i know that i'll appreciate those
memories when she's gone.

A day or so after Maggie died, I was puttering around in the
back yard and found a single sad little scat I'd somehow
missed previously. Damn near broke down over it, and it was a
little while before I could bring myself to pick it up.

So, yes, in addition to what I said about getting another
veterinary opinion: heed the above.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
-Andrew A. Rooney
Old September 22nd 05, 06:45 PM
Tracy Doyle

in article , GamePlayer No. 1058 at
wrote on 9/22/05 2:14 AM:

I have a 14 to 16 year old lhasa apso that for no reason I can figure has
broken house training. It's not like he can't hold it. I mean when we go
to bed at 11pm he gets on his bed and he will lay there until my partner
will get up whether that be 6AM or 1PM, the dalmanatian will go out through
the dog door and go do her burisness, but the lhasa wont. He'll just follow
us around the house, if we go into the home office he'll come in there and
laydown, eventually peeing on the floor.

If we try to coax him out the sliding glass door to go do his business,
he'll just laydown and ignore us, we have to either pick him up and put him
outside, or we have to drag him lightly by his collar to get him to go
outside.

In addition to what the others have said, you may want to have his vision
checked. There are several conditions which can cause blindness in old age,
which could explain his reluctance to go outside. I agree that you should
just go outside with him. He probably won't be with you very much longer,
and if you want to savor your last years or months with him, well, you may
have to extend yourself a bit.

If he's only peeing and not defecating in the house, you can get him a belly
band - it's like a diaper for male dogs. Just google "belly band." Here's
one product:
http://www.dog-breeds.net/dog_diaper_belly_band.htm

Hope this helps!

Tracy