new dog

Old September 23rd 05, 03:03 AM
kayalwin

Default new dog

Michael,
I have two doxies. One is almost 8 years old and the other
is 2 1/2.

Angel, the eldest was getting chubby and lazy. I discussed
it with the vet and he suggested another dog. He also
mentioned that dogs with a 'sister or brother' would
probably live longer.

I acquired Penny. It was very easy to potty train the puppy
as she followed the older one around. They play together,
they sleep side by side. They keep each other company.
They each pick a different side (next to me) when we sit on
the sofa or go to bed. There was no fighting, which I was
prepared for, but as Angel is 6 years older, I guess the
little one already knew she was Alpha dog and didn't
challenge her.

Angel has the toy Penny wants to play with and vise versa.
Even if Angel peed first, she has to follow Penny and
squeeze off a drop or two on Penny's puddle. Angel like to
hunt Lizards when outside. Penny isn't sure what Angel's
doing but runs after her like it is a game. They both like
to chase ducks and have figured out a system to come at them
from different sides and almost corner them.... until the
ducks remember they can fly and escape.

Just be sure a second dog is what you want because there is
also the double vet bill and increase in dog food and stereo
barking.

You didn't mention if your current dog is male or female.
If female, then I don't think it matters too much about the
sex of the second dog, but if it's male.... DON"T get
another male. They'd just be arguing all the time over who
is Alpha dog. My sister has 3 dogs, 2 male and 1 female and
although one male is about 2 years older, the younger male
is always trying out the chance to be Alpha dog and
skirmishes happen almost daily.

Karen
Old September 23rd 05, 03:29 AM

kayalwin wrote:
You didn't mention if your current dog is male or female.
If female, then I don't think it matters too much about the
sex of the second dog, but if it's male.... DON"T get
another male.

My experience has been the opposite.

Tell your Congressman that you want Don Young's Way
built in Louisiana, not Alaska
Old September 23rd 05, 09:01 PM

On 22 Sep 2005 22:29:23 -0400 Melinda Shore whittled these words:
In article ,
kayalwin wrote:
You didn't mention if your current dog is male or female.
If female, then I don't think it matters too much about the
sex of the second dog, but if it's male.... DON"T get
another male.

My experience has been the opposite.

Ditto. From what I've read, though, it may be affected by breed. E.g.
people seem to be able to keep Akita bitches together, but not the males.
(just talking generally, exceptions exist). German Shepherd bitches,
OTOH, often just want to kill each other.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old September 23rd 05, 09:10 PM

In article , wrote:
German Shepherd bitches,
OTOH, often just want to kill each other.

I've got 4 female Siberian Huskies (and two males) and
there's none of that deepseated loathing, but several weeks
after Crow arrive she systematically nailed the other
females, one per day, and made it clear that there was a new
sheriff in town. I was extremely concerned at the time that
I might have an ongoing problem, but that was that (although
last week she very unexpectedly went after Emmett, and that
appears to have been that, as well).

The federal revenue lost this year alone because of the
Bush tax cuts is $225 billion.
Old September 23rd 05, 10:39 PM
Tee

wrote in message ...

Ditto. From what I've read, though, it may be affected by breed. E.g.
people seem to be able to keep Akita bitches together, but not the males.
(just talking generally, exceptions exist). German Shepherd bitches,
OTOH, often just want to kill each other.

I'd have two female Min. Dachshunds before I'd have two males. In that
breed the males tend towards obnoxiousness. In Boxers, if I needed to have
two of the same, I'd go with males just to save on the headache. Females of
the breed will go at it over just about anything and will do so much more
often and with more serious intent.

--
Tara

Old September 24th 05, 03:29 PM
Sionnach

"kayalwin" wrote:

You didn't mention if your current dog is male or female.
If female, then I don't think it matters too much about the
sex of the second dog, but if it's male.... DON"T get
another male.

Actually, which sex should be gotten in a second (or third, fourth, etc.)
varies wildly depending on breed and individual personality. In many breeds
known for same-sex aggression, you are far more likely to have trouble with
two females than with two males.