How 'Bout Them Golden Poos?

Old September 18th 04, 09:54 PM
scribe

Default How 'Bout Them Golden Poos?

Having recently lost our beloved Irish Terrier, our family is
considering getting another dog, and we've just learned about a "new"
mixed-breed called a "golden-poo."

OK, forget for a moment that this benighted animal has been saddled
with the worst name for a canine breed, ever.

According to at least one breeder, this golden retriever-poodle mix is
a virtually perfect dog -- smart, gentle, healthy, people-loving,
non-shedding.

We are, of course, skeptical, but intrigued.

So . . . anyone here have any info whatsoever about this breed? I'd
appreciate anything you have to offer.

Thanks.

Old September 19th 04, 12:55 AM
Jazztptman

Having recently lost our beloved Irish Terrier, our family is
considering getting another dog, and we've just learned about a "new"
mixed-breed called a "golden-poo."

I wonder why they call this cross breed a "golden poo" instead of a French
Retriever. Now a French Retriever is a name we can have fun with.

Some of the more patriotic posters would take offense and call it a Freedom
Retriever.

Others would call it a chicken dog, because it's scared to commit to helping
it's so-called friends. I guess that means this breed could't be considered
"Man's Best Friend"... LOL
Bernie
Old September 19th 04, 02:45 AM
Tara

scribe wrote:

According to at least one breeder, this golden retriever-poodle mix is
a virtually perfect dog -- smart, gentle, healthy, people-loving,
non-shedding.

This breeder, if they really told you this, is doing one of two things

a) completely ignorant about the characteristics of the offspring from
two such different breeds

or

b) lying their asses off to you.

I've worked with a steadily increasing number of "Labradoodles" and
"Goldendoodles" and quite honestly I've seen a HOST of problems, both
temperamental as well as physical. The better breeders of these mixes
at least acknowledge that they can not (and will not) guarantee a non
shedding dog, nor can they guarantee that the same health issues present
in both Goldens and Poodles won't also show up in their dogs.

Personally, I would adopt, or would spend a decent amount of time
researching what makes a responsible breeder (of *any* breed). As you
learn what *responsible* breeders do in terms of selection, screening,
preparation, guaranteeing, home screening....etc. etc., then you'll be
in a better position to decide whether or not you can find a responsible
breeder of Goldendoodles. Personally, I have yet to come across
one....but then I'm not in the market for one so I've not been searching.

But what that breeder told you was sketchy. "Gentle and people loving"
is as contingent on the actual parents as on the breed standard (for
which there isn't one in this case). I've seen quite a few that
certainly were neither. Depends on some variables. Healthy carries the
same caveat. I spent two hours talking to a woman about the fallacies of
"hybrid vigor" just before she got her Goldendoodle. Her breeder
insisted that they were incapable of getting the illnesses that other
breeds get due to "hybrid vigor". That dog had severe hip dysplasia
before she was 1 year old. Now, this can happen just as easily in
purebred dogs as well, so my point here is not that "all mixes are bad
and all purebreeds are good", but rather that finding a really
responsible (and honest!!!) breeder is crucial.....and extremely
difficult. But well worth it if you decide to go with adopting a puppy
that has been bred on purpose.

Tara
(its been a long time, folks! Over a year, I think)

Old September 19th 04, 03:16 AM
Child

"scribe" wrote in message
Having recently lost our beloved Irish Terrier, our family is
considering getting another dog, and we've just learned about a "new"
mixed-breed called a "golden-poo."

OK, forget for a moment that this benighted animal has been saddled
with the worst name for a canine breed, ever.

According to at least one breeder, this golden retriever-poodle mix is
a virtually perfect dog -- smart, gentle, healthy, people-loving,
non-shedding.

We are, of course, skeptical, but intrigued.

You should be skeptical - rarely are mixed breed dogs so easily predictable.
For thats what a "golden poo" is - a mix. I would be skeptical of any
breeder who is selling mixed breeds, let alone calling them virtually
perfect.

Old September 20th 04, 07:24 AM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:45:24 -0400 Tara whittled these words:

(its been a long time, folks! Over a year, I think)

So nice to hear from you again - and such a nicely done post as well.
--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old September 20th 04, 05:46 PM
Rocky

Tara said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

(its been a long time, folks! Over a year, I think)

Dang! Last night I read your post but missed the poster until I
saw Diane's follow-up (too much to read after a weekend away).

Good post and good to see ya.

Old September 20th 04, 11:20 PM
Child

"Tara" wrote in message
scribe wrote:

[...]

Is that like...NY Tara??

Old September 21st 04, 01:05 PM

on 2004-09-20 at 14:20 wrote:

Is that like...NY Tara??

*exactly* like.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old September 21st 04, 01:23 PM
Tee

[piggybacking cuz Tara's original is gone]

Welcome back T!

--
Tara