Vizsla and cats?

Old September 25th 05, 03:52 AM

Default Vizsla and cats?

I have an 11 year old 70#male lab mix and a 4 year old 19# female Maine
Coon cat. I going to look at a 5 yr old female Vizsla to hopefullly
bring home next month. Anybody out there have any experience with Vizsla
and cats. They are supposed to have great temperments but being a
hunting dog I wonder how she will treat the cat. At 19# she can hold her
own ground :-)

thanks
Kirk

Old September 26th 05, 11:10 AM
Diana

"M" wrote in message
I have an 11 year old 70#male lab mix and a 4 year old 19# female Maine
Coon cat. I going to look at a 5 yr old female Vizsla to hopefullly
bring home next month. Anybody out there have any experience with Vizsla
and cats. They are supposed to have great temperments but being a
hunting dog I wonder how she will treat the cat. At 19# she can hold her
own ground :-)

thanks
Kirk

I wouldn't consider it unless the Viszla has been raised with cats from
puppyhood. I wouldn't want to take a chance with my Weim and a cat, despite
a lot of work training her to ignore them when we pass them in the street.

Watching her make very quick work of killing rabbits that she has caught,
and the fact that although we have put a lot of time and effort into
learning to ignore the cats - if I don't see them first, she is on full
alert and ready to take off. I've no doubt in my mind that a cat would mean
no more to her than a fun game with claws.

Diana

--
Cindy the weimaraner's web site:
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Old September 27th 05, 09:18 AM

There is a cat in the home now but not sure how long they have been
together. The dog seemed very friendly actually quite timid. She hid
behind their couch and had to be coaxed out with a treat to meet me,
Once out and about she warmed up and was all tail wags. I took my dog
with me and they met on the outside porch and they got along very well.
I agreed to take her and the lady that has her now might take my cat.
Since the cat doesn't care for me that much it may be a win/win
situation. Fingers crossed

Old September 27th 05, 11:12 AM

{#}: ~ } 8 { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } { ~ :{@}
{#}: ~ } http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u { ~ :{@}

Old September 29th 05, 12:26 AM

Dude.........Have a lotta spare time I see. Let me guess.......You're
single.........
BwaaaaaaaHaaaaaaHaaaa back at ya.