Found a lost dog - owners want him back - we want to keep

Old September 27th 05, 02:23 AM
usutle0

Default Found a lost dog - owners want him back - we want to keep

The dog is 8 weeks old, it's ribs were showing, we found in the middle of
the street unsupervised. For 2 days we knocked on doors, put up a sign,
but no one claimed him. We assumed he was dumped, so a good friend took
him. 3 days later, the neighbors claim to have not known the dog was
gone, and that they want him back. We feel the dog was not well taken
care of, and the friends have already bought food, supplies, collar, a vet
visit, etc. The dog was not in the best home to start with, and I think
he is better off where he is now.

Old September 27th 05, 02:46 AM
MauiJNP

"usutle0" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
The dog is 8 weeks old, it's ribs were showing, we found in the middle of
the street unsupervised. For 2 days we knocked on doors, put up a sign,
but no one claimed him. We assumed he was dumped, so a good friend took
him. 3 days later, the neighbors claim to have not known the dog was
gone, and that they want him back. We feel the dog was not well taken
care of, and the friends have already bought food, supplies, collar, a vet
visit, etc. The dog was not in the best home to start with, and I think
he is better off where he is now.

Ask for proof that these people own the dog. If they have it, I think you
have to give it back but I am not sure legally so you probably need to check
on this. Otherwise, maybe offering to buy the dog would help? And calling
the authorities for the neglect might be good too.

Old September 27th 05, 06:24 AM
Rocky

"usutle0" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

The dog is 8 weeks old, it's ribs were showing, we found in
the middle of the street unsupervised. For 2 days we
knocked on doors, put up a sign, but no one claimed him.
We assumed he was dumped, so a good friend took him. 3
days later, the neighbors claim to have not known the dog
was gone, and that they want him back. We feel the dog was
not well taken care of, and the friends have already bought
food, supplies, collar, a vet visit, etc. The dog was not
in the best home to start with, and I think he is better
off where he is now.

Sorry, but your assumptions and feelings as to the dog's past
history ultimately don't matter. If it's their dog, it should
be returned.

Old September 27th 05, 08:07 AM
Opinicus

"usutle0" wrote

The dog is 8 weeks old, it's ribs were showing, we found
in the middle of
the street unsupervised. For 2 days we knocked on doors,
put up a sign,
but no one claimed him. We assumed he was dumped, so a
good friend took
him. 3 days later, the neighbors claim to have not known
the dog was
gone, and that they want him back. We feel the dog was
not well taken
care of, and the friends have already bought food,
supplies, collar, a vet
visit, etc. The dog was not in the best home to start
with, and I think
he is better off where he is now.

Let the dog decide who he wants as his owner.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Old September 27th 05, 01:37 PM
Tee

"usutle0" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
The dog is 8 weeks old, it's ribs were showing, we found in the middle of
the street unsupervised. For 2 days we knocked on doors, put up a sign,
but no one claimed him. We assumed he was dumped, so a good friend took
him. 3 days later, the neighbors claim to have not known the dog was
gone, and that they want him back. We feel the dog was not well taken
care of, and the friends have already bought food, supplies, collar, a vet
visit, etc. The dog was not in the best home to start with, and I think
he is better off where he is now.

Check with your local animal control about ownership laws. In some states
the simple act of paying for a rabies shot makes you the legal owner.

If it weren't for your comment that it took these people 3 days, and them
being neighbors at that, to figure out the pup is missing, I'd say give him
back.

If an 8wo can be gone for 3 days before they figure it out then I think you
have good reason to be wary.

--
Tara

Old September 27th 05, 03:14 PM

on 2005-09-26 at 21:23 wrote:

The dog is 8 weeks old, it's ribs were showing, we found in
the middle of the street unsupervised. For 2 days we knocked
on doors, put up a sign, but no one claimed him. We assumed
he was dumped, so a good friend took him. 3 days later, the
neighbors claim to have not known the dog was gone, and that
they want him back. We feel the dog was not well taken care
of, and the friends have already bought food, supplies,
collar, a vet visit, etc.

you have no business making that value judgment. there could
be many explanations for why the dog was found in the street,
and his absence not noted by the rightful owners until three
days later.

heck, at various times in my dog's life, if she'd been lost,
her finder might have thought she was severely underweight
(she's not, but many people seem to think she is), abused
(she's easily frightened by strange people and noises), used
for fighting (she has lots of scarring and occasionally sports
impressive looking cuts, from playing with other dogs or
crittering), etc. she's not any of those things, though.
she's a beloved pet who is well taken care of, and i'd be
absolutely heartbroken if someone stole her from me.

The dog was not in the best home to start with, and I think
he is better off where he is now.

*if* the dog were being neglected by its owner, then there are
legal steps that could have been taken. what you've done is
theft, pure and simple.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old September 27th 05, 03:16 PM

on 2005-09-27 at 10:07 wrote:

Let the dog decide who he wants as his owner.

you've been watching too many Disney movies.

if i left it up to my dog to decide who to live with, she'd go
home with the first child who crossed her path, regardless of
whether or not that child was capable of caring for her.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old September 27th 05, 03:45 PM
Kathleen

shelly wrote:

you have no business making that value judgment. there could
be many explanations for why the dog was found in the street,
and his absence not noted by the rightful owners until three
days later.

Really? Like what? Seriously.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine under what circumstances one of mine
could go missing for THREE DAYS without me knowing about it. I suppose
in theory I could be out of the country and one of them might escape...
But no. Even that wouldn't work. Anybody I'd trust to keep my dogs
knows that they stand in loco parentis and there'd be signs up all over
the place about the missing dog(s) and a full-on search in progress
immediately.

Kathleen

Old September 27th 05, 03:50 PM
Tee

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...

you have no business making that value judgment. there could
be many explanations for why the dog was found in the street,
and his absence not noted by the rightful owners until three
days later.

Are you joking? I can only think of one reason for an 8 week old puppy to
be missing for 3 days and that's the owner being out of town. If they hired
someone to care for the puppy then its not their fault but if they didn't
then they didn't care enough about the pup to begin with.

The OP should have reported the pup to animal control but knocking on doors
for two days and putting up signs is not something usually done by people
looking to steal a puppy. How did the owners, who are *neighbors* for
crying out loud, manage to miss the signs and door-knocking for 3 days? Too
many bad vibes here to assume the owners were good people or that they
really are the real owners.

That's not to say I think they should just keep the pup but I think AC
should be brought in to handle the situation.

--
Tara

Old September 27th 05, 03:53 PM

on 2005-09-27 at 09:45 wrote:

Really? Like what? Seriously.

the obvious possibility is that the owner could've had a house
sitter who lost the dog.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine under what circumstances
one of mine could go missing for THREE DAYS without me
knowing about it. I suppose in theory I could be out of the
country and one of them might escape...

it could, and does, happen.

But no. Even that wouldn't work. Anybody I'd trust to keep
my dogs knows that they stand in loco parentis and there'd be
signs up all over the place about the missing dog(s) and a
full-on search in progress immediately.

i would certainly hope (and expect!) that my house sitter
would do so, as well. you really don't know until it happens,
though. it's possible that i could have someone i thought was
thoroughly responsible caring for my home and pets, only to
find out that s/he is a major screw up.

but, even if the owners of this particular puppy were totally
irresponsible and let it run loose, stealing the dog is not
the appropriate solution.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/