Scientist Recommends Isolation for Animals Showing Signs of Canine Flu

Old September 27th 05, 06:18 PM
flick

Default Scientist Recommends Isolation for Animals Showing Signs of Canine Flu

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in
message ...

Has anyone actually seen any signs of this where you live?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O26B12FDB

No, I haven't.

Sure oughtta give one pause about going to a dog park, though. Or taking
your dog to "day care" to play with other dogs. Etc.

flick 100785
--

Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to send me e-mail

This just in: Local Louisiana politicos think we must be stuck on stupid!
http://jeffsadow.blogspot.com/2005/0...lden-rule.html

Old September 27th 05, 06:34 PM
Judy

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in
message ...

Has anyone actually seen any signs of this where you live?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O26B12FDB

Signs of the actual disease, no.

The schnauzer breed list has been posting back and forth about it quite a
bit the past couple of days. Seems a bunch of dogs may have picked up
*something* at the recent terrier show in CA but the concensus seems to be
that it was a bordatella strain and not this flu.

The vets seem to be saying to keep your distance from any dogs who are
coughing. It's spread just like human flu. Symptoms are similar to kennel
cough but the dog will run a high fever. Should be treatable/manageable
except in rare cases.

The word I've gotten is that besides the outbreak in Florida at the dog
track, there have been cases in NJ and NY.

I'm off tomorrow to upstate NY to a HUGE show with literally thousands of
dogs. Conformation, obedience and agility for four days. The agility
people aren't allowed to have their own shelters set up (I guess it looks
too sloppy and it's a very public AKC event) so all agility dogs are to be
crated in one big tent - very close quarters. There IS a parking lot nearby
but it's cars (and I assume pickups) only. We're camping so will have our
motorhome. I'm trying to figure out how to disguise a 21 foot motorhome as
a Suburban so we can use that instead of the tent area.

Anyone know what the protocol is if we get uncomfortable around a coughing
dog? I'm not sure who I would report it to. The judges - but if it's not a
dog who is competingm is it their jurisdiction? Show committee? There will
be a vet on site so maybe him?

~~Judy

Old September 27th 05, 06:37 PM
Mary Healey

"Judy" wrote in
:

... it's a very public AKC event...
Anyone know what the protocol is if we get uncomfortable around a
coughing dog? I'm not sure who I would report it to.

Show vet, show chair or AKC rep would be my guess.

Old September 29th 05, 05:15 AM
Paula

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:46:35 -0400, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

Has anyone actually seen any signs of this where you live?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O26B12FDB

A local news story said that there have been no reports in our area.
It is mostly in the eastern US.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay