ear problems

Old September 29th 05, 04:42 PM
MauiJNP

Default ear problems

Maui (1 year old toy poodle) has had a few ear problems in the past,
whether it is redness, little bites/sores, smelling bad, being dirty,
infections, etc. I have medicine for him (from the vet), ear cleaner from
the store and always keep my eyes on them to try and catch problems in their
early stages. Nothing ever seems to be horribly wrong, more minor things,
slight redness, itching, one or two bites/sores (not covered in them), etc
and the medicine/cleaner can usually take care of the problem. Anyway, it
has always only been one ear that is the problem and it is always the same
ear. The other one has never had any problems, not once. Is this a sign of
something? Could there be a permanant problem with one of his ears? Should
I take him to the vet again or just keep using the vet medicine and ear
cleaner I have already? If he needs to go to the vet, can it wait till he
goes in October for his shots? I will probably call my vet but I feel like
I call them a lot so I'd try here first and see if anyone has input.

Thanks!

Old September 30th 05, 08:00 AM
White Monkey

[...]

A lot of times chronic ear problems turn out to be allergies. Yes, it can
be unilateral

True. Another thing to maybe have checked--I had a Borzoi once with a
similar situation and it turned out that she had a narrower ear canal on
that side. There wasn't a lot that could be done about it, like you I just
kept an eye on it and kept it clean, but at least it explained what was
going on.
--Katrina

Old October 2nd 05, 05:35 PM
lyndzi76 lyndzi76 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Worcester, UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJNP
[...]

Ear problems in dogs with big flappy ears can often be a problem.

Does the condition only happen during the Summer/Spring months??
If yes if may not only be an ear problem it could be your dog has a slight allergy, because surprsingly alot of dogs are allergic to grasses and this year there have been lots of new grasses growing due to the summer we had. A low dose of steroids (Prednisolone or Medrone) may well do the trick but in the mean time on a regular basis i would use a cleaner (Leo dog ear cleaner)
Good Luck
Lyndsey
Old October 3rd 05, 06:23 PM
MauiJNP

Does the condition only happen during the Summer/Spring months??
If yes if may not only be an ear problem it could be your dog has a
slight allergy, because surprsingly alot of dogs are allergic to
grasses and this year there have been lots of new grasses growing due
to the summer we had. A low dose of steroids (Prednisolone or Medrone)
may well do the trick but in the mean time on a regular basis i would
use a cleaner (Leo dog ear cleaner)
Good Luck
Lyndsey

hello! thanks for the input. it seems you may be onto something with the
timing of the ear problems. he had them shortly after I first got him (last
august/september) and then they were fine for a long time. Now the problems
are creeping out again. I will look into the steroids and talk to my vet
about them. thanks!

Old October 3rd 05, 09:31 PM
lyndzi76 lyndzi76 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Worcester, UK

]THAT'S INSANE.

Because???
Old October 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
lyndzi76 lyndzi76 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Worcester, UK

hello! thanks for the input. it seems you may be onto something with the
timing of the ear problems. he had them shortly after I first got him (last
august/september) and then they were fine for a long time. Now the problems
are creeping out again. I will look into the steroids and talk to my vet
about them. thanks![/i][/color][/quote]

Hope this is of some help.
Lyndsey