healthy foods- key words

Old September 30th 05, 07:09 PM
MauiJNP

Default healthy foods- key words

what are key good words to look for in the ingredient list of healthy dog
snacks (that can be commerically bought)? what are key bad words to avoid?
thanks

Old October 1st 05, 01:37 AM
Steve Crane

MauiJNP wrote:
what are key good words to look for in the ingredient list of healthy dog
snacks (that can be commerically bought)? what are key bad words to avoid?
thanks

Reviewing a pet food based on ingredinets only, is a very poor method.
For example suppose a pet food claims to contain chicken. How can you
determine if the chicken used is very poor quality or very good
quality? Looking at ingredients as a method of examining a food is kind
of like third grade math - simple addition and substraction.

Rather than examining a food based oningredients you need to take the
next step up to examining a food based on the nutrients. Kind of like
advancing to senior high school level math - calculus and trig.

No pet uses an ingredient for anything - they use the nutrients that
the ingredients bring into the picture. Ingredients are merely the
carriers - the transportation devices that deliver nutrients. A dog
can't take a molecule of chicken muscle and use it to replace the
muscle cells in its' own body - it need to take the amino acids
contained within that protein.

Think about it this way. The ingredient is the transportation device -
like a car. Inside that car are the nutrients - usually people.
Examining the outside of a car won't give you much chance of
determining if the people inside the car are men or women.

Old October 1st 05, 01:43 AM
MauiJNP

what are key good words to look for in the ingredient list of healthy dog
snacks (that can be commerically bought)? what are key bad words to
avoid?
thanks

Reviewing a pet food based on ingredinets only, is a very poor method.
For example suppose a pet food claims to contain chicken. How can you
determine if the chicken used is very poor quality or very good
quality? Looking at ingredients as a method of examining a food is kind
of like third grade math - simple addition and substraction.

Rather than examining a food based oningredients you need to take the
next step up to examining a food based on the nutrients. Kind of like
advancing to senior high school level math - calculus and trig.

ok, then how did I pick good treats? what should I look for on the label?
thanks.

Old October 1st 05, 03:23 AM
Rocky

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Rather than examining a food based oningredients you need
to take the next step up to examining a food based on the
nutrients.

ok, then how did I pick good treats? what should I look
for on the label? thanks.

Quality ingedients.

FWIW, unless your dog is intolerant or allergic to something or
unless you feed a large amount of treats, pretty well any treat
is OK.

I like training with Rollover since it has a texture whereby I
can pick teensy bits off of a chunk in my pocket. For more
substantial treats I make my own or use veggies and fruit.
While I'm not crazy as to the ingredients in Rollover, it
travels well and I get it free. Another option is to use
individual pieces of your your dog's kibble as treats: it goes
into your pocket as dog food and comes out as dog candy.

Old October 1st 05, 03:46 AM
Kathleen

MauiJNP wrote:
what are key good words to look for in the ingredient list of healthy dog
snacks (that can be commerically bought)? what are key bad words to avoid?
thanks

If you make your own you can be sure of exactly what's in your treats,
and you can be sure it's been handled and stored safely from beginning
to end.

http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/hom...vertreats.html

Kathleen

Old October 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
MauiJNP

"Rocky" wrote in message
"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Rather than examining a food based oningredients you need
to take the next step up to examining a food based on the
nutrients.

ok, then how did I pick good treats? what should I look
for on the label? thanks.

Quality ingedients.

FWIW, unless your dog is intolerant or allergic to something or
unless you feed a large amount of treats, pretty well any treat
is OK.

I do think Maui has allergies but I don't know to what. Is it very
hard/pricey to get this tested? The reason I think he has allergies is
because on his one ear problem, and he chews his feet. I think I have to
talk to the vet next time (in 3 weeks) to check this out.

Old October 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
MauiJNP

"Kathleen" wrote in message
MauiJNP wrote:
what are key good words to look for in the ingredient list of healthy dog
snacks (that can be commerically bought)? what are key bad words to
avoid?
thanks

If you make your own you can be sure of exactly what's in your treats, and
you can be sure it's been handled and stored safely from beginning to end.

http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/hom...vertreats.html

Kathleen

thanks for the link!

Old October 2nd 05, 02:34 AM
Sharon

I do think Maui has allergies but I don't know to what. Is it very
hard/pricey to get this tested? The reason I think he has allergies is
because on his one ear problem, and he chews his feet. I think I have to
talk to the vet next time (in 3 weeks) to check this out.

Chronic ear infections, feet chewing and the like are strong food allergy
indicators. The tests for allergies are not very reliable on top of being
expensive. Best bet is to get Hills Z/D food (prescription diet) and feed
exclusively for up to 2 months - that means nothing *but* Z/D except maybe a
baby carrot a couple times a day as a treat. (for treats, takes some Z/D
nuggets and put in zipper bag. Throw in freezer). If symptoms clear after
3-6 weeks, there's your answer. However, it could be a combination food and
environmental allergy. Ask your vet and make sure infections have been
treated.

-Sharon

Old October 3rd 05, 06:53 AM
Paula

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:09:44 -0400, "MauiJNP" wrote:

what are key good words to look for in the ingredient list of healthy dog
snacks (that can be commerically bought)? what are key bad words to avoid?
thanks

I think one of the main concerns with treats, especially with little
dogs, is the fat content as much as the actual ingredients. We use
liver treats because the dogs love them, but not so much with the
little dogs because they are pretty high calorie. We also use the Old
Roy Dinner Rounds since they were brought up on a treat thread in rpd
in the past. The dogs love them and they aren't terribly high in
calories. We break them in pieces for the little dogs and give whole
ones for big dog treats. The other thing we got from that same thread
is the Little Cesars food. It's a soft food but in a plastic thing
instead of a can. We've found that it is hard to lick it out of the
container, so we hold the container down for a lick. It goes a long
way as far as the treats lasting and also as far as the dogs being
willing to do a lot to get a lick. After it's been pretty licked out,
we help out by scraping a bit so that a lick pulls up some actual
food. Yeah, we like to torture our dogs for fun and profit. Why do
you ask?! We use praise a lot, too. It's always handy and we
have dogs who respond well to praise as a motivator. Very healthy,
too.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old October 3rd 05, 06:27 PM
MauiJNP

I think one of the main concerns with treats, especially with little
dogs, is the fat content as much as the actual ingredients. We use
liver treats because the dogs love them, but not so much with the
little dogs because they are pretty high calorie. We also use the Old
Roy Dinner Rounds since they were brought up on a treat thread in rpd
in the past. The dogs love them and they aren't terribly high in
calories. We break them in pieces for the little dogs and give whole
ones for big dog treats. The other thing we got from that same thread
is the Little Cesars food. It's a soft food but in a plastic thing
instead of a can. We've found that it is hard to lick it out of the
container, so we hold the container down for a lick.

that's a good idea. thanks! I got one of those for Maui's first birthday as
a treat and then again about a week ago. I noticed that even after only
seeing it once, he knew immediately what it was and was really happy when he
finally got to eat it. on a side note, he tends to eat it very fast because
it is so soft so in the future, if he gets it for a meal, I will mix in some
hard food to slow him down a bit.

It goes a long
way as far as the treats lasting and also as far as the dogs being
willing to do a lot to get a lick. After it's been pretty licked out,
we help out by scraping a bit so that a lick pulls up some actual
food. Yeah, we like to torture our dogs for fun and profit. Why do
you ask?! We use praise a lot, too. It's always handy and we
have dogs who respond well to praise as a motivator. Very healthy,
too.

good ideas, thanks!