Dogmobile! (only a little OT)

Old September 30th 05, 08:54 PM

Default Dogmobile! (only a little OT)

August 1, after 171277 miles, the MoonPie of Delight died
(waaah!). i've been being really picky about replacing
her--it's been like my own personal reenactment of Goldie
Locks. and, to make matters worse, i'm car ignorant and
intend to stay that way. hrmph. so, i managed to narrow my
list down to (in order of priority, all newish used):

1. Subaru Forester
2. Subaru Legacy Outback
3. Ford Focus 4-door hatchback
4. Ford Focus wagon

who knew i'd be so damned picky? i struck out finding any of
those, or any other 4-door hatchbacks, with the exception of
an Escort wagon and a Taurus wagon. ugh. *not* what i had in
mind. i'm sick of being carless, though, so i was this
close to buying the Taurus. but! on my way there, i found my
original car of choice. whew! not a Subaru, but a Chevy
Tracker. i should be able to pick it up tonight or tomorrow.
i am *so* doing the happy dance of car glee rigththisminute.

originally, i wanted a Tracker (i've discussed this in the
past here), but couldn't really justify a V6. if i could get
a 4-cylinder car with AWD, like the Forester, that would be
thoroughly sufficient for getting around my back-woodsy area.
but, if i'm stuck with choosing between a Taurus and a
Tracker--both V6s--then i'll be damned if i buy the oogie
Taurus, especially since they're roughly the same price and
get similar gas mileage.

so, it's a 2002, low mileage, part-time 4WD, hard-top, light
grey cloth (not leather!!!) interior, plenty of room for a
crate, and all sorts of other stuff i really don't care about.
and, it's indigo blue, which is my first color choice. i'm
sure harriet will look beautiful riding in it. she finds my
neighbor's Grand Vitara (same basic car) to be nice and comfy,
so i expect she'll approve.

now, to start working on a name.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old September 30th 05, 10:32 PM
Tee

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...

who knew i'd be so damned picky? i struck out finding any of
those, or any other 4-door hatchbacks, with the exception of
an Escort wagon and a Taurus wagon. ugh. *not* what i had in
mind. i'm sick of being carless, though, so i was this
close to buying the Taurus. but! on my way there, i found my
original car of choice. whew! not a Subaru, but a Chevy
Tracker. i should be able to pick it up tonight or tomorrow.
i am *so* doing the happy dance of car glee rigththisminute.

originally, i wanted a Tracker (i've discussed this in the
past here), but couldn't really justify a V6.

Have you had a Tracker before?

--
Tara

Old September 30th 05, 10:57 PM

shelly wrote:
August 1, after 171277 miles, the MoonPie of Delight died
(waaah!). i've been being really picky about replacing
her--it's been like my own personal reenactment of Goldie
Locks. and, to make matters worse, i'm car ignorant and
intend to stay that way. hrmph. so, i managed to narrow my
list down to (in order of priority, all newish used):

1. Subaru Forester
2. Subaru Legacy Outback
3. Ford Focus 4-door hatchback
4. Ford Focus wagon

I recommend my 2006 Scion xA, not a junky Tracker.

--
this is michael
reporting live...

Old September 30th 05, 11:09 PM
ceb

shelly wrote in
arble.net:

i am *so* doing the happy dance of car glee rigththisminute.

It sounds great -- let us know how you like it, I'm always interested in
the dogmobile conversations.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old September 30th 05, 11:37 PM

In article e.net,
shelly wrote:
so, it's a 2002, low mileage, part-time 4WD, hard-top, light
grey cloth (not leather!!!) interior, plenty of room for a
crate, and all sorts of other stuff i really don't care about.
and, it's indigo blue, which is my first color choice.

My understanding is that those are extremely capable
vehicles. Like, if a mountain were to suddenly spring up in
your path you could drive right over it. Congratulations!

Since 2000, the number of lobbyists in Washington has more than doubled
Old October 1st 05, 12:01 AM
Chris Jung

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...

so, it's a 2002, low mileage, part-time 4WD, hard-top, light
grey cloth (not leather!!!) interior, plenty of room for a
crate, and all sorts of other stuff i really don't care about.
and, it's indigo blue, which is my first color choice. i'm
sure harriet will look beautiful riding in it. she finds my
neighbor's Grand Vitara (same basic car) to be nice and comfy,
so i expect she'll approve.

now, to start working on a name.

As it is with a new dog, IMHO, you need to live with the vehicle before the
name comes to you. All of our cars had been nameless until we bought the
'91 Olds Silhouette. We marveled on how much space it had for the three
collies, one 'eency baby (along with a huge amount of baby stuff) and two
adults. The Silhouette never failed us and, thus in time, it came to be
known as The Mighty Dog Mobile (TMDM). When TMDM had reached 160+ k miles,
Dave was concerned that it was getting too old so we donated it to the local
PBS station and bought a 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager. After we put our
plates on the new van, we took it on our first voyage up to Aurora for some
ice cream. On the way back, we hit two deer. A month after the front end was
repaired, it was hit by a guy who wasn't watching when he changed lanes.
Since we've owned it, we've hit birds and various sorts of little critters
on the road. Animals just like to dart in front of this beast. And to top it
off, this van has some weird electronic problems - flip the turning signal
and the radio might turn on, adjust the temperature controls and the
windshield wipers might do a few swipes. This is one evil, possessed
automobile and thus we named it the Van Of The Apocalypse or Vota for short.
If you are ever in Ithaca and see a white van with a couple 'o rusty spots:
Be. Forewarned. You. don't. want. to. cut. me. off.

Chris and her smoothies
Pablo & Lucy

Old October 1st 05, 03:53 AM
Rocky

shelly said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

[Tracker]
so, it's a 2002, low mileage, part-time 4WD, hard-top, light
grey cloth (not leather!!!) interior, plenty of room for a
crate, and all sorts of other stuff i really don't care about.

Y'know, Geo/Chev Trackers et al have gotten bad press over the
years, but not about mechanical stuff (they're reliable
vehicles) - it was more about how people drove them: "Let's
follow than Humvee over the mountain and through the
crick!" Plus, the early ones were unstable.

I think you got yourself a good car for your needs.

Old October 1st 05, 09:44 PM
Spot

We have an older tracker that has close to 90000 and it still gets 28 mpg.
I was originally pissed as hell when he traded in the bronco for it because
it's smaller. We can even fold up the large dog crate and tuck it behind the
seat and load the backup when we need to take off for the weekend in it.

Celeste

arble.net...

Old October 2nd 05, 04:35 PM

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:32:28 -0400, "Tee"
wrote:

originally, i wanted a Tracker (i've discussed this in the
past here), but couldn't really justify a V6.

Have you had a Tracker before?

no, but i'm very familiar with them. i have several friends who have
them and love them fiercely. i have to say, i did a butt-load of
driving yesterday and i'm absolutely smitten. it's comfy and handles
*very* nicely.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Color! What a deep and mysterious language, the language of dreams.
-- Paul Gauguin
Old October 2nd 05, 04:35 PM

On 30 Sep 2005 14:57:05 -0700, wrote:

I recommend my 2006 Scion xA, not a junky Tracker.

just yours?

LOL God Bless WTF!?

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

H is for Hector done in by a thug.