Lump behind left elbow on my dog's left side

Old October 2nd 05, 04:33 AM
Graeme Nichols

Default Lump behind left elbow on my dog's left side

Hello, My Border Collie x Kelpie, 13 years old, has suddenly developed a
large swelling behind his left shoulder. It can be moved around easily,
is firm, not hard to the touch and is not sore. He doesn't show any sign
of soreness and is bright eyed and alert. Has anyone experienced a
similar thing with their dog?

Thanks,

Graeme.
Old October 2nd 05, 05:08 AM
MauiJNP

"Graeme Nichols" wrote in message
Hello, My Border Collie x Kelpie, 13 years old, has suddenly developed a
large swelling behind his left shoulder. It can be moved around easily, is
firm, not hard to the touch and is not sore. He doesn't show any sign of
soreness and is bright eyed and alert. Has anyone experienced a similar
thing with their dog?

Thanks,

Graeme.

My first poodle had a lump like that but it was more under her ear at the
side of her face. Turned out to be a tooth related problem so I doubt this
is the same thing but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case because
other than the location, it all sounds the same.

Old October 2nd 05, 06:09 AM
Sharon

Hello, My Border Collie x Kelpie, 13 years old, has suddenly developed a
large swelling behind his left shoulder. It can be moved around easily, is
firm, not hard to the touch and is not sore. He doesn't show any sign of
soreness and is bright eyed and alert. Has anyone experienced a similar
thing with their dog?

Could be a fatty tumor - harmless if it doesn't cause any discomfort. But
better to get a real diagnosis from the vet for a 13 year old seasoned
citizen!

-sharon

Old October 2nd 05, 04:33 PM
Spot

I agree with Sharon you need to have the vet look at it. A simple needle
biopsy should be enough to tell if it's a fatty cyst or something that needs
treatment.

Celeste

Old October 2nd 05, 05:28 PM
lyndzi76 lyndzi76 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Worcester, UK
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Nichols
Hello, My Border Collie x Kelpie, 13 years old, has suddenly developed a
large swelling behind his left shoulder. It can be moved around easily,
is firm, not hard to the touch and is not sore. He doesn't show any sign
of soreness and is bright eyed and alert. Has anyone experienced a
similar thing with their dog?

Thanks,

Graeme.

Dear Graeme.

There could be 2 possiblities to what it could be i think one is what is called lipoma which is a fatty lump often these are squidy and flexible and can be moved around or sometimes older dogs get lump where they lay down neither of these things are life threatening but to be on the safe side i would probably have a FNAB (Needle biopsy) done on the lump to confirm what it is this can be don without an anasethic.
Good Luck
Lyndsey
Old October 3rd 05, 12:56 AM
Graeme Nichols

MauiJNP wrote:
"Graeme Nichols" wrote in message

Hello, My Border Collie x Kelpie, 13 years old, has suddenly developed a
large swelling behind his left shoulder. It can be moved around easily, is
firm, not hard to the touch and is not sore. He doesn't show any sign of
soreness and is bright eyed and alert. Has anyone experienced a similar
thing with their dog?

Thanks,

Graeme.

My first poodle had a lump like that but it was more under her ear at the
side of her face. Turned out to be a tooth related problem so I doubt this
is the same thing but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case because
other than the location, it all sounds the same.

Thank you MauJNP. Yes, an abscess on a tooth can cause swelling which is
always painful and needs treatment immediately. This swelling is
definitely on the rib cage behind the shoulder and is not causing any
discomfort and it came up suddenly. Sharon and Spot's advice is sound. I
shall take him to the vet for a checkup.

Thank you again for your response. It's much appreciated. One gets very
attached to their 'babies'

Regards,

Graeme

Old October 3rd 05, 01:00 AM
Graeme Nichols

Sharon wrote:
Hello, My Border Collie x Kelpie, 13 years old, has suddenly developed a
large swelling behind his left shoulder. It can be moved around easily, is
firm, not hard to the touch and is not sore. He doesn't show any sign of
soreness and is bright eyed and alert. Has anyone experienced a similar
thing with their dog?

Could be a fatty tumor - harmless if it doesn't cause any discomfort. But
better to get a real diagnosis from the vet for a 13 year old seasoned
citizen!

-sharon

Hello Sharon, thank you, your advice is sound. The fact that it came up
suddenly led me to believe that it was more or less benign rather than
cancerous, probably caused by banging himself and would disappear in
time. I'll take him to the vet. Better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,

Graeme.
Old October 3rd 05, 01:03 AM
Graeme Nichols

Spot wrote:
I agree with Sharon you need to have the vet look at it. A simple needle
biopsy should be enough to tell if it's a fatty cyst or something that needs
treatment.

Celeste

Thanks Celeste, I'll take your advice. Better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,

Graeme.