furminator yes/no ?

Old October 4th 05, 12:33 PM

Default furminator yes/no ?

What do you guys think of this www.furminator.com. Is it better than
a hacksaw blade ?

Old October 4th 05, 06:27 PM
professorpaul

I cured the shedding problem by getting a non-shedding breed -- Lhasa
Apso/Shih Tzu mix! I swear there was enought fur for a spare puppy with
my Goldens...

Old October 4th 05, 06:42 PM

on 2005-10-04 at 10:27 wrote:

I cured the shedding problem by getting a non-shedding breed
-- Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu mix! I swear there was enought fur for
a spare puppy with my Goldens...

again, there is no such thing as a "non-shedding" breed. your
dog *does* shed.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old October 4th 05, 09:28 PM
bill

shelly wrote:
on 2005-10-04 at 10:27 wrote:

I cured the shedding problem by getting a non-shedding breed
-- Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu mix! I swear there was enought fur for
a spare puppy with my Goldens...

again, there is no such thing as a "non-shedding" breed. your
dog *does* shed.

Hi Shelly,

You are, of course, quite correct, in your statement that all dogs shed;
indeed, all mammals shed. However, for those wishing for a
‘non-shedding’ dog there are breeds available that don’t drop their hair
all over everything. Many of the breeds that sport double coats trap the
shed hairs within their pelt resulting in few hair balls drifting across
the kitchen floor like furry tumbleweeds. Many of the terriers have
double coats for example . . . and essentially don’t shed in the
conventional sense. The downside is that the owner has to comb the
dead/shed hairs out of the coat periodically (once a week is best) in
addition the outer-coat has to be stripped twice a year, usually.

Bill
Old October 5th 05, 03:14 PM

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:28:51 -0400, bill
wrote:

You are, of course, quite correct, in your statement that all dogs shed;
indeed, all mammals shed. However, for those wishing for a
‘non-shedding’ dog there are breeds available that don’t drop their hair
all over everything.

of course.

i think that overstating one's case ("breed X is non-shedding") does
nobody any favors. it perpetuates inaccuracies and breed myths and it
makes everything else that person says suspect.

Many of the breeds that sport double coats trap the
shed hairs within their pelt resulting in few hair balls drifting across
the kitchen floor like furry tumbleweeds.

believe me, i'm *well* acquainted with fuzzy tumbleweeds! and then, you
have short, single-coated dogs whose fur is barbed, weaving itself into
any and every fabric in the house. or into your feet. those hair
splinters are painful!

there are up- and down-sides to pretty much everything. my hairy dog
rarely needed bathing, but his grooming needs were out of this world. my
current dog is low grooming, but her hair is harder to clean up and
hurts when you step on it. She needs bathing every month or so, but it
takes about ten minutes and she dries quickly. i haven't lived with a
Poodle-type coat in a long time, but i recall it as being a nightmare
for me to take care of. i hated the grooming.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

All things move toward their end, on that you can be sure
-- Nick Cave

Old October 7th 05, 06:04 AM
Paula

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:14:46 -0500, shelly
wrote:

i haven't lived with a
Poodle-type coat in a long time, but i recall it as being a nightmare
for me to take care of. i hated the grooming.

My personal nightmare has been that my daughters, especially the one
who officially is Sammie's mom (yes, she refers to me as Sammie's
grandma as well, but at least she has the only seven years old excuse)
are extremely picky about our poodle's cut. They don't want froofy
like in the cartoons and stuffed animals. They didn't like the clean
face look the first groomer we tried gave him. They stressed terribly
over her next grooming. We found a new person to try that was
recommended because she does show grooming. Even though the cut
Sammie has does not remotely resemble a show poodle's cut, the girls
love it. I think it has more to do with listening to what we want and
knowing lots of options to suggest. So now I am off the hook for
grooming (the girls do their own brushing, both fur and teeth, of
their own dogs and the groomer does the clipping) and just on the hook
for paying. Thank goodness for living in a hickville cheap services
town!

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old October 7th 05, 04:45 PM
Rocky

Paula said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

My personal nightmare has been that my daughters,
especially the one who officially is Sammie's mom (yes, she
refers to me as Sammie's grandma as well, but at least she
has the only seven years old excuse)

My mother refers to Rocky and Friday as her "grandogs", but
she's got the seventy years old excuse. TTYTT, I think she's
being somewhat facetious, at least I hope so.

Old October 7th 05, 04:52 PM
Janet B

On 7 Oct 2005 15:45:21 GMT, Rocky , clicked their
heels and said:

My mother refers to Rocky and Friday as her "grandogs", but
she's got the seventy years old excuse. TTYTT, I think she's
being somewhat facetious, at least I hope so.

My in-laws refer to themselves as my pets' "grandowners" which works
for me. And..... they adore them and play ball, pet, etc, so they can
call themselves whatever they want! ;-D And they know it's all silly
- it's not taken seriously in the least.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old October 7th 05, 05:21 PM

on 2005-10-07 at 15:45 wrote:

My mother refers to Rocky and Friday as her "grandogs", but
she's got the seventy years old excuse. TTYTT, I think she's
being somewhat facetious, at least I hope so.

and, if she's not, what are ya' gonna do? she's got birthing
rights to embarrass and/or tease you whenever she wants.

my family's not into that sort of thing, but if they were, it
wouldn't bother me. too much. i think. i have a couple of
friends who call my pets my "kids," though, and that *does*
bug me. it always takes me a few seconds to figure out what
on *earth* they're talking about. by the time i figure it
out, it's too late for a well timed correction. drat!

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old October 7th 05, 06:44 PM

In article e.net,
shelly wrote:
my family's not into that sort of thing, but if they were, it
wouldn't bother me. too much. i think.

My mother refers to my dogs as her "grandkids." It's more
of an "OH, MOM rolling eyes" thing, and probably not one
of the most embarrassing/discordant thing she does.

The total national debt is now $7,932,709,661,723.50.