Choosing a breed

Old October 4th 05, 06:39 PM

Default Choosing a breed

[excessive xposting snipped]

on 2005-10-04 at 10:29 wrote:

NO shedding, but you must groom him/comb him, or he knots up.

i have yet to meet a dog that did not shed. if it has hair,
it sheds. period.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old October 4th 05, 10:05 PM
Judy

arble.net...

on 2005-10-04 at 10:29 wrote:

NO shedding, but you must groom him/comb him, or he knots up.

i have yet to meet a dog that did not shed. if it has hair,
it sheds. period.

Meet the miniature schnauzers. These dogs can sleep on your pillow and
never leave behind a hair. (Mud and grass, yes.) Sit on your lap while
you're wearing black pants and leave no hair behind. Hair does come out
when you comb the leggings and beard. But no, there is no hair on my couch
where they nap.

I suppose a thorough search of my house would find an occasional dog hair
here and there. But for all practical purposes, no dog hair.

Amazing, huh? Until we got our first schnauzer, I didn't believe it either.
I figured that okay, they shed less. Maybe a whole lot less. I was
surprised to find it so close to nonexistent.

~~Judy

Old October 4th 05, 10:22 PM
MauiJNP

"Judy" wrote in message
arble.net...

on 2005-10-04 at 10:29 wrote:

NO shedding, but you must groom him/comb him, or he knots up.

i have yet to meet a dog that did not shed. if it has hair,
it sheds. period.

My toy poodle never sheds. His hair sometime comes out when I brush it but
he never sheds and leaves hair anyplace (at least not that I ever see).

Old October 5th 05, 03:04 PM

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:05:26 -0400, "Judy"
wrote:

Amazing, huh? Until we got our first schnauzer, I didn't believe it either.
I figured that okay, they shed less. Maybe a whole lot less. I was
surprised to find it so close to nonexistent.

i didn't say they shed a lot. obviously, they don't shed as much as
many other dogs, but they *do* shed. the professorpaul's claim that
they don't shed at all is inaccurate. overstating one's case doesn't do
anyone any favors.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those
who dream only by night.
-- Edgar Allen Poe
Old October 5th 05, 10:56 PM
Kadaitcha Man

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:13:18 +0100, "adm" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
HOWEDY ADM,

adm wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I would reccomend a well bred poodle. Grooming will be important, but
you will have little to no shedding and some people claim they are
hypoallergenic. They are also smart, trainable, good with kids and
other dogs as long as they are well socialized (enroll in a puppy obed.
class! tons of fun!). )
Jen and Lily

Try a Lurcher. They almost never bark (they are bred to be silent
hunters),
are happy living outside as long as they have nice kennel to keep dry in
(although they just LOVE comfy sofas). They are very easy to live with as
they don't need constant monitoring or attention. They are also extremeley
graceful and elegant and come with almost no genetic health problems.
Finally, they are very gentle dogs that are good with children and
strangers.

You mean, A DOG IS A DOG.

Pretty much. Although I happen to like this type of dog more than some
others - particularly a lot of the "pedigree" breeds that have been shaped
and mutated away from their typical "dogginess"over generations by Kennel
Club afficionados. For example "recreated" breeds like Irish Wolfhounds that
look good but couldn't catch or kill a wolf if their life depended on it.

You just got hooked by replying to this well known
netloon and troll. Once he baits you as he does
with others, you became troll bait and he will flame
you and harass you through this newsgroup and in email.

PLEASE killfile this well known Jerry Howe aka
The Puppy Wizard who is using alot of alias in
here. He is a pathological liar and net kook.

All he does is slander and defame people in
here. He knows nothing about dog training or
canine behavior. He just makes this up and
has been trolling this newsgroup for years.
Old October 6th 05, 01:24 AM
culprit

"adm" wrote in message

Carefully bred ?

But of course - most good lurchers are not accidents.

interesting. most, if not all of the "lurchers" i've seen in my part of the
world have been accidents, and most of the owners had never even heard the
term.

-kelly

Old October 6th 05, 09:41 AM
adm

"culprit" wrote in message

"adm" wrote in message

Carefully bred ?

But of course - most good lurchers are not accidents.

interesting. most, if not all of the "lurchers" i've seen in my part of
the world have been accidents, and most of the owners had never even heard
the term.

Where is your part of the world ?

Here in the UK, Lurcher breeding is taken very seriously indeed. It is an
activity that has been going on for hundreds of years - ever since the
owning of sighthounds was restricted to nobility only. Breeding lurchers
from the King's greyhounds was a way for the peasants to own fast, smart
hunting dogs and not get hanged for the priviledge.

Lurchers are worked and shown all over the UK with bloodlines very well
documented.

Old October 6th 05, 02:00 PM
sighthounds & siberians

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:41:39 +0100, "adm" wrote:

"culprit" wrote in message

"adm" wrote in message

Carefully bred ?

But of course - most good lurchers are not accidents.

interesting. most, if not all of the "lurchers" i've seen in my part of
the world have been accidents, and most of the owners had never even heard
the term.

Where is your part of the world ?

Here in the UK, Lurcher breeding is taken very seriously indeed. It is an
activity that has been going on for hundreds of years - ever since the
owning of sighthounds was restricted to nobility only. Breeding lurchers
from the King's greyhounds was a way for the peasants to own fast, smart
hunting dogs and not get hanged for the priviledge.

Lurchers are worked and shown all over the UK with bloodlines very well
documented.

In the US, they're not. Most often, they're dumped in shelters,
because they are most often Greyhound/coonhound mixes.

Mustang Sally

Old October 6th 05, 07:19 PM
culprit

"adm" wrote in message

Where is your part of the world ?

Here in the UK, Lurcher breeding is taken very seriously indeed. It is an
activity that has been going on for hundreds of years - ever since the
owning of sighthounds was restricted to nobility only. Breeding lurchers
from the King's greyhounds was a way for the peasants to own fast, smart
hunting dogs and not get hanged for the priviledge.

Lurchers are worked and shown all over the UK with bloodlines very well
documented.

the US, where someone's sighthound escaped the fence (my but they're good at
that) and knocked up some farmer's border collie. the results get dumped on
rural roads or in shelters.

-kelly

Old October 6th 05, 07:25 PM
culprit

wrote in message ...
In rec.pets.dogs.behavior culprit wrote:
And if there is terrier rather than herding dog "thrown into the mix", I
assume this would change your recommendation in some way?

depends on the terrier. i think a pit bull whippet mix would be quite
entertaining. :-)

John Richardson had a pit whippet

i'd love to hear more about it. we often joke that Lola is a pit whippet
because from behind, you can't tell her apart from the neighbor's whippet.
the other day, one of her whippet's escaped, same coloring as Lola, and my
first thought when i saw her butt was, "holy cow, how did Lola break out of
the house?"

:-)

i know she's just a skinny little pit with huge, meaty thighs, though. i
suspect she's from old style fighting stock, she's no show dog. skinny,
agile, quick, and drive, drive, drive, with muscles in the right places, not
in her head.

-kelly