Anal Sac Disease?

Old October 6th 05, 08:43 PM

Default Anal Sac Disease?

I am seeking advice. I am new to this board, but have a question. My
vet is recommending that we remove my girl's anal glands. She is a
beagle, almost 7 years of age, and in excellent health. She is now on
her third episode of anal gland impaction.

HISTORY:

Her right gland has abscessed twice, and anyone who knows what this is
about knows it's not a pretty site, not to mention I feel horrible
for my baby. Last week, her left gland was extremely swollen and very
hard. The vet tried to express it and told me that she wanted to keep
her, sedate her, and express it under sedation. My vet is against
doing this procedure if they show any sign of pain during a normal
expression. I agree with her 100%. She told me if I had not brought
her in it would of most definetly abscessed also. The vet explained
that she was going to flush it out but putting antibiotic oil in her
gland and trying to break up the material inside of the gland. She
succeeded in doing so without having to lance it. She informed me the
material inside was extremely thick, and actually had chunks in it.
She then left some of the antibiotic oil in the gland; put her on pain
medication and an antibiotic.

I am told by my vet, that I don't need to worry about cancer, of
course, that is always my first thought. Diamond is part of our
family; she is not just a dog. She is very important to my husband and
I and money is not an obstacle for us. We will spend what it takes to
make sure she is well taken care of and not suffering. She seems to be
in perfect health other than this. I am struggling with the decision
to remove the glands because it is a serious surgery. My vet has done
the removal many times before. She explained the procedure in great
detail. Everything from inserting a substance in the glands that will
harden like wax which helps her remove them. She does use laser in the
removal. Is there anything I am missing? Could there be an
alternative? My vet does not seem to think so. I have tried to
express them myself and sometimes I have luck and sometimes I don't.
My vet says she has overactive glands with extremely narrow openings.
It also seems her anal glands secretions are not normal and tend to be
a very thick substance.

Any advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. I just want
to do what is right for my girl.

Thanks!

Old October 6th 05, 08:50 PM
Sharon

I am seeking advice. I am new to this board, but have a question. My
vet is recommending that we remove my girl's anal glands. She is a
beagle, almost 7 years of age, and in excellent health. She is now on
her third episode of anal gland impaction.

snipped

Surgery should never be a first plan of attack. It sounds like your vet has
tried other routes to treat this chronic problem and feels that it will only
continue, not subside permanently. Anal gland removal, although a surgery
under anesthesia, is not a major procedure and is generally successful.
Better to be sedated an anethsatized once for the surgery, than 2-3 times a
year for disimpaction.

-Sharon

Old October 6th 05, 10:57 PM

Hello lcolantuoni,

wrote:
I am seeking advice.

What kind of advice would you like? The last
newcomer was seeking advice about LUCK.

I am new to this board, but have a question.

Decent people do not post here.

My vet is recommending that we remove my girl's anal glands.

Your vet GETS PAID to surgically mutilate your dog and
SELL you useless deathly prescription pharmacuticals.

She is a beagle, almost 7 years of age, and in excellent health.

That so? Curious how your vet would want to SELL
you a SURGERY for a critter in "EXCELLENT HEALTH".

Would that be MALPRACTICE?

She is now on her third episode of anal gland impaction.

Oh. That's a STRESS or DIET induced DIS-EASE.

HISTORY:

Her right gland has abscessed twice, and anyone who
knows what this is about knows it's not a pretty site,

When G-D first made man all the parts of the body were
vying for the position / title of BOSS. The eyes said
"if you don't MAKE ME BOSS, I won't SEE for you." "The
hands said if you don't MAKE ME BOSS I won't work for
you to see". The feet said "if you don't MAKE ME BOSS
I won't take you to work." The anus said NOTHING and
simply STOPPED WORKING.

Soon thereafter all the parts of the body were
BEGGING the anus to GO TO WORK and MAKE IT THE BOSS.

not to mention I feel horrible for my baby.

INDEED.

Last week, her left gland was extremely
swollen and very hard.

The anus reacts in normal natural innate
reflexive ways to STRESS or NEUROSIS.

The digestive system can turn a normal digestion
into a bout of diarreha or constipation NEARLY
INSTANTLY from just a moderate amount of stress
fear or concern.

The vet tried to express it and told me that she
wanted to keep her, sedate her, and express it
under sedation.

Good. But that won't CURE the malfunction.

My vet is against doing this procedure if they show
any sign of pain during a normal expression. I agree
with her 100%.

Good, agreed.

She told me if I had not brought her in it
would of most definetly abscessed also.

Of curse. That's NORMAL for this CONdition.

The vet explained that she was going to flush it out
but putting antibiotic oil in her gland and trying to
break up the material inside of the gland. She
succeeded in doing so without having to lance it.

Good.

She informed me the material inside was extremely
thick, and actually had chunks in it.

That's more information than we needed to know.

She then left some of the antibiotic oil in the gland;
put her on pain medication and an antibiotic.

So, she should be A.O.K.

I am told by my vet, that I don't need to worry about
cancer, of course, that is always my first thought.

Worry is what CAUSES cancer.

Diamond is part of our family; she is not just a dog.

Your dog feels your emotions.

She is very important to my husband and I and money
is not an obstacle for us. We will spend what it
takes to make sure she is well taken care of and not
suffering.

A king's ransom cannot CURE STRESS INDUCED AUTO-
IMMUNE DIS-EASE aka The Puppy Wizard's SYNDROME.

She seems to be in perfect health other than this.

INDEED. Like addiction, this DIS-EASE is INSIDIOUS.

I am struggling with the decision to remove the
glands because it is a serious surgery. My vet
has done the removal many times before.

As surgeries go, it's probably less risky or difficult
than ordinary birth control spaying, medical malpractice.

She explained the procedure in great detail.
Everything from inserting a substance in the
glands that will harden like wax which helps
her remove them. She does use laser in the
removal. Is there anything I am missing?

INDEED.

Could there be an alternative?

Of curse!

My vet does not seem to think so.

Because your VET only knows how to
TREAT DIS-EASE, not CURE them.

I have tried to express them myself and
sometimes I have luck and sometimes I don't.

You mean it's a "CRAP SHOOT."

You need VELVET HANDS, not LUCK.

My vet says she has overactive glands

Your dog's anus is reacting in PREDICTABLE
NORMAL NATURAL INNATE INSTINCYIVE REFLEXIVE
WAYS to situations and circumstances of it's
environment which you CREATE for it. ALL DIS-
EASE is CAUSED BY MISHANDLING and POOR NUTRITION.

with extremely narrow openings.

All it needs to pass is a viscous discharge.

It also seems her anal glands secretions
are not normal and tend to be a very thick
substance.

Because they are IMPACTED. What's causing the impaction?

Any advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

You mean, you're seeking a CURE for a medical CONdition?

I just want to do what is right for my girl.

Sounds like you're on the right track already,
with exception of asking folks who HAVE NO CURE,
or they'd BE The Amazing Puppy Wizard {); ~ )

Thanks!

You're welcome!

Hello Don,

Don wrote:
I am new to the newsgroup and have found
that it contains very good information.

From:
(Marshall Dermer)
Date: 3 Mar 2003 03:31:16 GMT

Subject: Praising BAD Behaviors Is GOOD

If this post was written by Jerry Howe then I offer
my congratulations to Jerry on having posted such
positive material.

--Marshall Dermer

I have had to killfile about 10 user id's so far and
I guess that most of you have done the same. There
are probably only one or two kooks that account for
hundreds of stupid posts.

I have read rpdb for about seven years. Consequently,
I urge newbies to attend to the civil and rational
posts of the rpdb regulars from whom I have learned
much. They include: Ann (,Twzl, Sligo & Roy), Amy
Dahl, Diane Blackman, jdoee, Janet Boss, Susan Fraser,
Avrama Gingold, Nancy Holmes, Lynn Kosmakos, Bob Maida,
MaryBeth, Ruth Mays, Cindy Tittle Moore, Robin Nuttall,
Denna Pace, John Richardson, Sarah Sionnach, Ludwig Smith,
Jane Webb, and Terri Willis.

Marshall Lev Dermer/Associate Professor/Behavior
Analysis Specialty/Department of Psychology/
University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee/
Milwaukee, WI 53201
http://www.uwm.edu/~dermer

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight." --
William Safire

I have two Yellow Lab pups, both female, 14 months
old and a Black Lab/Setter mix, male, 11 years old.
I call the Yellow Labs pups, but they weigh about
85 pounds. All neutered.

Surgical sexual mutilation causes temperament and
behavior problems like fear aggression towards
children, for example.

I know that Labs are famous for chewing, but the
Yellow Labs are terrors. I tried to keep them
outdoors on the patio, but one developed a
nighttime habit of barking at the stray raccoons,
possums, etc.

From: Marshall Dermer )
Subject: Jerry's Dog Training Manual
Date: 2001-07-12 06:49:13 PST

And how do we know this aspect of his
advice is right?

Jerry is not God and his manual is not the Bible.
His advice could be subject to an empirical analysis.

(Also, it is best to killfile posts from the
few regulars here who are either ill-tempered,
ill-mannered, or just plain ill.=AD),

--Marshall

Praising BAD Behaviors Is GOOD

HOWEDY People,

This post will cover most of what you never thought
of and MOORE than you already know about stuff...
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I20712FEB

We have 3 children under age 13
And a New Foundland/ Aussie Shep. mix.

Interesting X. I've never seen one of them
before, and I'm not big on "breed" issues,
but I just got to laugh at that picture I got
in my head of a Aussie runnin around in a
Newfie suit. I'm fallin outta my armchair
and my sides are splittin!!!

We have had this dog for 1.5 years. She was a
rescue and she was 7 wks old when we got her.

Fine. I prefer to see pups get into their new HOWSES
as soon as they're weaned. Many folk prefer to allow
the pups to stay with mom till twelve weeks or so, but
I've never seen a problem for pups who'd been "orphaned"
and into their family much earlier. My preference is six
weeks. But that's not addressing your questions.

She is fixed and weighs 73 lbs.

My 40 years experience and some studies I recently
read indicates some aggression may be precipitated
by S/N. It's a hot button topic for many people, because
it's one of those things where "you're damned if you do
and damned if you don't." FWIW, according to Judaic
law, spaying would be appropriate, neutering would not.
There's other laws in their book about such issues as
muzzling working draft animals etc. Very interesting stuff.

I believe that she has been at this weight for nearly a year.

Oh drat! You just burst my bubble! Now I can't laugh
about a Aussie dressed in a Newfie suit.

She is extremely energetic

When I hear that, I think HYPERACTIVE. Hyperactivity
is caused by stress barring such outside influences
as toxins in the environment or malignancy of some sort.
Purdue recently did some stuff on OCD and determined
that stress percipiticpates OCD behaviors (Duh-Oh!). No
news to this trainer. That's HOWE COME it's SO EZ for
my students to break the anxiety SYNDROME and
rehabilitate their hyperactive dogs in a few days, maybe
less.

Thyroid problems could be involved there too, and I've got
a different take on that as well. I rather doubt the thyroid
or any system is likely to malfunction for no reason. I
believe that the constant on/off stress of ORDINARY
DAILY LIFE in an ORDINARY NORMAL HOWEShold,
is enough to push dogs, and some breeds more EZily
than other's over the edge, resulting in obsessive
compulsive behavior disorders like hyperactivity,
excessive chewing,barking, digging, pacing, HOWEling,
separation anxiety, self mutilation, fear of thunder, and
even most carsickness.

and is really a sweet dog for the most part.

When I hear THAT, I don't wanna ask what's after
the most part...

Our biggest problem is her attitude with our girls.

Bummer. I hate that. Scares the beejeesus outta me.

She loves them one minute

Good, I'm relieved.

and then for no apparent reason snarls at them.

Dogs don't do things for no reason. Do you know
what will provoke her? There's a commonality
between all behavior problems, so if you can think
of what when and where she'd had incidents in the
past, you might isolate the triggers, and then you're
half way done training her...

I have been watching her intensely

Perhaps even just your scrutiny can be pressuring her.
Dogs are very sensitive critters, it doesn't take much
to throw them outta whack.

and I can say without a doubt that none of our children
have harmed the dog or scared her in any way.

Probably true, but that's the half of it also. I'll try to explain
later...

She is extremely protective of food

Right. That sez to me, she's insecure. It's a survival
instinct. HOWE COME should she be insecure and
thinking of herself first, rather than "feedin the family,"
as a mom dog would do? Well, mom dogs do not,
they need to sustain themselves first, so they can take
care of the bigger picture, even if that means culling
her litter.

Greed is what it looks like, but dogs aren't capitalists,
so it's got to be something telling her there's not
enough to go around. Perhaps she's been teased with
treats or had rewards withheld? Dogs are scavengers.
They steal scraps of food and run to hide with their back
to the wall in a heightened state of alert.

Putting food or bribes into an untrusting dog's face
will likely make him think fight/flight/survive... so I
never use food bribes. Sure you can train animals
and slaves by withholding or treating with food, it's
the bottom line when you think about it. You'd need
a mighty big treat bag to control all the food in creation
Anything that takes precedence in your dog's mind
over you, is usurping your authority and diminishing
your dog's esteem for you.

and once she has been given her food she will growl
if anyone comes even remotely close.

Right. That sez to me she's not entirely trusting, that
something is concerning her that she's not SAFE.
AGGRESSION IS FEAR. We don't attack for no
reason, we attack to defend ourselves from a real
or perceived threat.

In looking for answers, I am not looking to make excuses
for the dog's behavior. I personally don't care HOWE COME
the dog does something, I deal with the whole problem from
another perspective entirely, and many of these insecurity
issues will be AUTOMAGICKALLY CURED, just by removing
the inconsistencies and stressors in her daily life.

Whoever said "it's a dogs life," never put on the hat...
Dogs are just as sensitive about family tensions like children
squabbling and parents correcting them or the dog, for
whatever. LOOK at HOWE many times a day you probably
have to say STOP THAT! and correct all of them? At bedtime
the kids may give you the standard bedtime runaround, a kid
falling and crying about it can make the dog nervous, anything
goes.

She won't do that with me

Hmmm. That makes me very suspicious. I like CONSISTENCY.
Even if it's bad. But that may be good too, cause it could give
us some insight into what's goin down here.

but if someone else walks by she will growl even if
they are in the other direction.

By 'someone else,' you mean the kids, anybody else
or everybody else? That too, may give some insight
as to what's cookin.

Her snarling at the girls is in no way related to food.

Hmmm. She's OK with the kids and food? That's got
my antennae up. I believe you're sayin she's SAFE
with the girls passing her while eating. THAT makes
me very happy, if that's correct. At least about the
food issue but it offsets itself with the dichotomy
of her incidents with the kids. There's too many
inconsistencies, and that's gonna tell us what's
the problem, I think.

And there is no one thing that sets her off.

Good. Tell us what you know of will set her off,
and we can figure out what's upsettin her and
HOWE to break the response.

One minute she is happy and playing and the other
she will snarl if they walk by.

That doesn't give me a clear picture. Again, if
you can predict when a behavior will happen,
we can set it up to break or extinguish it, if
it's still a problem after we do some simple
preliminary conditioning exercises.

It is as if she doesn't respect them.

Forget respect. FEAR. Something concerns her,
it's not disrespect.

I should mention that the possibility of me meeting a
dog behaviorist

You just did.

is nil due to the fact we live in a remote part of Alaska,

No problem.

accessible only by air.

Likewise. I do all my work from sittin right here stark
ravin nekkid.

Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if you've done any training with her
and if so, HOWE was she trained. The fact she does
not growl at YOU when you're near her food is probably
not because it's you who gave her the food.

That she doesn't growl at the kids around the food,
makes me wonder if she's ever been corrected for
'food guarding' with the children.

That could explain HOWE COME she won't growl at
them near the food, but will in other situations particularly
play, concerns me, but in a GOOD way. That's displaced
aggression, I expect. That's cause by repressing behaviors.
My methods use alternately variable distractions and
prolonged non physical praise to extinguish the reflexive
behavior through triggerin and non fulfillment, not by ever
offering REPLACEMENT or alternate behaviors, because
THAT disavails us of training opportunities and leaves the
problem behavior intact, waitin on the whim of the dog.

That suggests to me that she may be reacting to
an incident perhaps long ago where she or the kids
had been scolded or corrected for roudy play? That's
called superstitious or flashback behavior, whereby
a former incident is thought of by a similar circumstance
and the dog simple flashes back to that former state
of mind and isn't even thinkin of the present, and usually
ends pretty quickly, soon as he realizes this is a different
time and place.

All we got to do is play with that thought a few times if
everything else is in order, and the dog will quickly override
his BOOGEYMAN...

The food guarding is not against the children, is that correct?
Perhaps I'm a little unclear on the scenario. I think you're
saying she's fine with you and the kids around the food, the
food being an issue for other family members, visitors etc?

Has she ever had an incident of growling at you? If so,
when, where, and HOWE did you respond to it. Also,
HOWE do you currently respond to her incidents with
the kids now and HOWE often does this happen?

Do you give her treats? Will she 'go off' around a
treat or only AT her food bowl, and is she OK with
your children around their food and do the children
give her treats and is she OK with that?

Finally, do you crate her? If so, does she go to her crate
on her own? If so, that too, can be causing or exacerbating
these issues. Crating can cause a lot of problems for
insecurity. Because the crate becomes a safe haven for
her, kinda like hiding under the covers from the boogeyman,
when the door opens, it's like havin to get outta bed in the
dark to go to the toilet... SCARY!!! You might crawl over
the bed to get close the light and then run and jump to
hit the switch before the monster under the bed can get
your by your ankles.

Those answers will give us a better idea of exactly
HOWE COME the dog is growling. But after all is
said, it still doesn't matter to me except as a curiosity.
We'll fix this behavior problem EZ, I'm certain.

She doesn't sound too scary to me now that we've
looked at what she's doing. In fact, and please
correct me if I misunderstood, she's ONLY staring
and growling and showing some teeth? She's never
tried to assault the kids, right?

What do you feed and are you using any chemicals
around her like floor cleaners containing phenols? I ask
about food because some contain BHA, BHT, ETHOXYQUIN,
or propylene glycol as preservatives and they're suspect
of causing some hyperactive like behavior.

You might break the food guarding malarkey by simply
moving the dish to another location, preferably a neutral
area. IOW, take her out of the environment in which
she's accustomed to having incidents, and desensitize
her there.

But don't start messin with that stuff till you know
HOWE to handle it just in case she should go off
when you try testing it out. Besides, after an hour
of training that food thing will probably disappear
on it's own, just from the basic conditioning exercises.

You might try taking her dinner bowl in hand and
slowly walking her around while eating and making
passes by other folks. But not yet, you got a little
study to do and some practice... about two hours
work. Must be COLD out there.

Lets get the lesson plan in mind so you'll have your
wits about you if she should growl so we don't lose
an opportunity to address an incident should she growl,
because doin so in new environment would make it
that much easier to break, due to the change of environ.

Same question goes for the growling. Is that a generalized
behavior or does she only do it say, in the living room
or only inside the HOWES, will she growl if they're playin
outside.

Does she growl ONLY when she's in play? That
could be VERY telling. Does she growl when she
is NOT ALREADY EXCITED PLAYING (besides
at the food bowl, I'm over that)? If so, that's the
problem, BUT, that still leaves the question of
WHO does she growl at around food? That too
could tie up another loose end.

Does she always / sometimes / not often come to
the kids when they call her? Will she always come
to you when you call? Is she walked on leash often,
and is she well behaved or is it a struggle, and what
kind of collar do you use. Even though you're not
writing about an on leash problem, we're still gonna
need to work her on lead and longe line for the initial
conditioning exercises.

Sincerely,

The program I teach begins by stopping all negative
or corrective responses and interactions with her. That
includes scolding the children, because that may be
what provokes her to growl. That's called allelomimetic
behavior. IOW, if you scold the kids for jumpin on the
sofa, the dog will copy your action and attitudes and
likewise correct them.

Sibling rivalry is not caused by siblings, is cause by
mishandling. Scolding one peer in front of the others
causes animosity towards the others whom the subject
was scolded in front of. That causes 2 things to happen.
The scolded party gets embarrasses and assaults
the observers of the scolding, or the observers copy
the disciplinarian, and likewise scold the subject.

Catch22.

HOWE are we gonna control three kid critters and
one Aussie runnin around in a midget Newfie suit???
Could take three juvenile detention and one AC
officers 24/8 to throw down on them when they get
goin like kids will do.

I'm pretty EZ going, but I require strict discipline. I
can't have a child interrupting me while I'm doin this
and have my dogs going kookamunga while I'm
trying to teach someone on the phone HOWE
to control their dog's barking, for example.

NOW I'd be curious about the ages of the kids
"children under age 13," cause if there's things like
hyperactive or disabled children or autistic kids or
an infant who'd maybe cry or have seizures or
whatever that could upset the dog.

I'm not lookin for excuses to mitigate her behavior, just
to understand it better so's we're lookin at the facts
of the matter based on what is happening Vs feelings
about HOWE whatever we may emotionally feel about
stuff.

We want to back away from the micro aspects
of the behavior so we can take in the big picture
and then we can see what parts don't fit, and figure
out what to do to remedy the etiology rather than
fightin symptoms of the problem, because as we
repress symptoms, they change, to other, often
worse, seemingly non related behaviors as
trainsfer or replacement behaviors.

That's HOWE COME so many dogs go through
every behavior problem in the book before simply
runnin outa behavior problems that haven't already
been repressed.

Think about it. As we repress all the normal puppy
behaviors we make the pup nervous cause he's only
a animal. They cannot know right from wrong, only
what's nice and what's not. They're not a human child,
they cannot understand BAD.

Dogs do not DO, BAD, dogs only do dog, and of curse,
they also copy us. As the dog matures to 8-9 months
they go through their 'adolescent rebellious' stage (Scott
&Fuller). HOWE can a dog have a rebellious stage if
there's nothing to REBEL AGAINST? Well, he still
has not run through all the behavior problems he can
be provoked into, so when he's maturing as a teenager
and trying for more freedom, we become more repressive
because the dog is out of hand, and there goes the shootin
match.

My student's dogs do not go through that because we
never have a negative or forced interaction with them,
we NEVER tell them NO or INSIST on a command,
because THAT triggers the opposition reflex and makes
the dog rebel.

Our dogs are eager to work because we PRAISE IN
ADVANCE, with the command, all in one breath not
after the dog has finished doin his behavior. Dogs do
not work for credit. By the time the dog comes to
you when called, he's not longer thinking of the
command.

Dogs respond in predictable, instinctive, reflexive, ways,
to situations and circumstances of their environment
which we provide for them. That means we can change
or control the environment to set the dog up to perform
as predicted, and know when to do what you've planned
in advance, to properly trigger / distract / praise / trigger /
distract / praise the behavior till it's extinguished, MUCH
LIKE FLOODING, but not quite... Or, we may use traditional
flooding techniques with distraction / praise to extinguish
behaviors.

Before addressing behavior problems we condition the
dog to praise with every brief eye contact and learn
HOWE to handle the lead so we're not pulling on the
collar and triggering the dog or hyping him up for
a random outburst. Proper leash handling techniques
insures safety and teaches the dog gentleness and
conditions them to respond to our praise, as it entices
the dog in and settles him down in just a few minutes.

It's kinda like Dr. Ian Dunbar's "make like a tree," but
not really anything at all quite like it. They just look similar
at first glance. The Hot & Cold Exercise is like the kid's
game "gettin hotter gettin colder" with the dog's attention
and body as we stand and handle the lead properly to
get the feel for it and reassure the dogs we ain't gonna
be pullin no more on them.

After a few minutes the dog will be hangin out waitin
for you to do something, then you're ready to go into
the Family Leadership Exercise where we very subtly
work the dog in a conditioning routine we'll rely on for
other situations and begin to install the come command
as a conditioned reflex.

That usually takes my students about one hour, often less,
very rarely four hours, but that'd get a perfect recall on
the most difficult critter. Once we've got that dog willing to
work with us we can begin to break his behavior problems
using variable distractions and praise techniques.

Using praise in advance relaxes the dog and encourages
him. For training, isn't that all we need?

Praising BAD BEHAVIORS is GOOD. If your dog were
boltin out the door, it's not "NO! STOP!," it's GOOD
GIRL NICEDOG YOU'RE A GOOOOD FELLA!!.

The dog ain't goin NOWHERE except come back over
to you. Might even ask if he wants to go to the park.
Sure he wants to but you don't. Who cares? He's only
a DOG. Tell him you're gonna put your shoes on to
go but it'll be a minit. Dogs like kids FORGET in a
minute... Tomorrow when you ARE going to the
park, tell him you're goin cause you PROMISED him
yesterday, and now it's time. They'll think you're the
kat's pajamas for bein the greatest mom/dad in the
whole wild world.

Dogs and kids just wanna have fun. Therefore my dogs
never see me frown on them. NO MATTER WHAT. I
never tell them NO or DON'T, or physically reach to
restrain them, partly because THAT would trigger the
opposition reflex and compel the dog to "outstep me"
and rush the door or eat the steak or whatever AND
teach the dog that doin THAT, will command 100%
of your undivided attention...

That's HOWE COME proper understanding of the
methods and developing the feel for leash handling
is imperative, so's we don't sabotage ourselves by
reacting to our own fears of dangerous situations
we're gonna work through in a few minutes if you
can refrain yourself from saying NO DON'T! and
pullin the lead to force control.

Of course I know that your dog isn't having leash
problems, but it fits here...

Our dogs naturally want to do everything they're asked,
cause just like kids, dogs just wanna have fun.

Your Puppy Wizard. YPW;~}

Here's professor dermer AFTER gettin JERRYIZED:

"We Are Lucky To Have You, And More People Should
Come To Their Senses And Support Your Valuable Work.
God Bless The Puppy Wizard," Professor Marshall Dermer,
Dept Of ANAL-ytic Behavior, UofWI.

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:33:36 -0500
Okay, I gotta speak up here... We've been using Jerry's
methods with our dog. We had the same problem as the
original poster has with Buzz. One day working with the
family pack exercise and practicing the recall command
with the family and she'll now go out with hubby and
daughter instead of needing me to reassure her or even
refusing to go with anyone but me.

I really urge you, regardless of the negative things you
might hear about Jerry & Wits' End here, to try the method
and *judge the results for yourself*.

Let's see what other areas she's improved in... always
comes when called, not chewing stuff even if we leave
it laying around, "re"housebroken after long shelter stay,
walks perfectly on leash, doesn't try to steal food from
our plates or beg... probably a few more things I'm
forgetting to mention. *(Yeah, the kats lay off the koi
and don't wander. jh).

That's in about a week's time.

Her overall demeanor has changed. When we brought
her home she was very untrusting and ultra-submissive
(except with her area/toys where she was possessive and
nippy).

She had been abused and beaten by previous owners,
then she was in a shelter for months. They (most of them)
wanted to give up and kill her Now she's gained confidence
and trust with us. Last night was another big breakthrough
(in my eyes). She barked! Big deal, she barked just once
when she heard the front door. Great!

Anyway, you'll be told lots of nasty stuff about Jerry or that
the Wits' End manual is culled from other sources. In my
opinion, even if it is, it takes only the good stuff and leaves
out the bad. Works for me.

(And I suppose I gotta say this... I don't know Jerry personally.
I've emailed him and instant messaged him. I have not bought a
"Doggy Do Right". He's offered help for free.)

Ms. Mick Owen Crneckiy
http://www.crneckiy.com & http://tarot.crneckiy.com
E-mail & MSN Messenger:
AIM & Yahoo!: MickCrneckiy ~ ICQ: 72461227

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

"Hoku Beltz" wrote in message
. ..

Aloha Sunny,

Just follow the training program to the letter, no matter how
insignificant some of the step seem to be and your puppy will
be a very well behaved dog in a few days.

I would seriously consider backing out of the training
classes as they will conflict with the Wit's End principles.

I went the training route first, and still had problems until
I found Wits' End. Now I have two "new and improved" dogs.

You won't be disappointed if you follow the program.

Good luck,
Hoku

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D

Date: 02/05/1999
Author: Robert Crim
You filthy, unctuous, no good charlatan. If you had
any idea of what dogs and dog people were about
you would realize the depths of the absolute loathing
and contempt I hold for you right now. Were it not
for the blessed distance and anonymity that the internet
gives us from the scummy likes of you, I would probably
be in a jail cell right now for turning you into the pile
of **** you really are

Hey, Howe, you really are a wacko, eh?

Crim wrote this about *YOU,* you insipid piece of cow dung!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
--
Dogman

http://www.i1.net/~dogman

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:24:15 -0700, dogsnus

"Terri"@cyberhighway Wrote:

Hey, do like me, and killfile Jerry.
He has millions of people aleady reading his posts and
watching him extract his soggy foot out of his mouth!
Out of these MILLIONS, I've only seen 2 naive childs
come forward and actually believe in his training manual.

Robert Crim writes:

I assume that I and my wife are those two naive childs
since I freely admit to having read and, I hope,
understood enough of the manual and it's counterparts by
John Fisher and the posts of Marilyn Rammell to believe
and use it.

This naive child would like to say thank you to both
Jerry and Marilyn for putting up with a constant barrage
of really infantile crap at the hands of supposedly
adult dog lovers.

The other naive child (LSW) has to put up with the
nagging idea that if people like them had been posting
earlier, maybe we would not have had to hold the head
of a really magnificent animal in our arms while he was
given the needle and having to hug him and wait until he
gasped his last gasp.

To my mind, "naive" is believing you can terrorize a dog.

Naive is believing that people that hide behind fake
names are more honest than people that use their real
names. Naive is thinking that dilettante dog breeders
and amateur "trainers" like Joey (lyingdogDUMMY, j.h.)
are the equal or better than those that have studied and
lived by their craft for decades.

"Stupid" is believing that people do not see kindergarten
level insults for what they are. Really stupid is believing
that people like Jerry Howe and Marilyn Rammell are
going to just go away because you people act like fools.

Why do you act like fools? I really have no idea, and I
don't really care.

And, to date: I've not seen ONE come forward and
actually admit to buying and having success with his
little black box.

I think I'm going to get one myself for Father's day and
take it down to the Animal Shelter for their use and
testing. You would never believe the results, so you'll
never know.

Anyone by now that doesn't see a scam man coming by
Jerry's posts deserves to get what is sure to be coming
to him! LOL!

I don't see a "scam man", so I guess I and Longsuffering
Wife and Rollei will just have to get what we deserve,
eh? As Joey (Dogman) says, "poor Rollei.".......right.

Terri

Yes it was, and that is sad.

Robert, Longsuffering Wife and Rollei (do I get to
listen to the box first?)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Crim wrote THAT about *YOU,* tommy, "you insipid piece of cow dung!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

From: "George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D."
To: "Jerry Howe"
Subject: Alleged Professors of Animal Behavior
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:50:51 -0400

Dear Jerry, I paged through some of the "dog business"
and was astonished at the low quality of opinions arising
from professors of behavior analysis.

I had the very great privilege of meeting Sam Corson
(Pavlov's last Ph.D. student) and his dogs at Ohio
University. I even got to spend a night at Sam's house.

There is no question but that you are a spiritual brother
to Corson and to Pavlov, both of whom knew that the dog's
great capacity for love was the key to shaping doggie behavior.

Paradoxical reward and paradoxical fixing of attention are
both well documented Pavlovian techniques. Even so humorless
a chap as B.F. Skinner taught students like the Breland's whose
"The Misbehavior of Organisms" demonstrate the utility of your
methods and their deep roots in scientific (as opposed to
commercial) psychology.

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.
you may find my resume in Who's Who in
Science and Technology

Jerry Howe,
Director of Research,
Animal Behavior Forensic
Sciences Research Laboratory,
BIOSOUND Scientific,
Director of Training,
Wits' End Dog Training
1611 24th St
Orlando, FL 32805
Phone: 1-407-425-5092

Here's the ONLY RULES you need:

ALL Temperament and Behavior Problems
And 90% Of DIS-EASE
Are CAUSED BY MISHANDLING.
THAT'S GOOD!
THAT MEANS We can CURE ALL
Temperament And Behavior Problems
And 90% Of DIS-EASE
NEARLY INSTANTLY
Simply By DOING EXXXACTLY, PRECISELY, OPPOSITE
Of HOWE We've Been TAUGHT
By UNIVERSITY TRAINED Behaviorists

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
(((' (((-((('' ((((

|\ _.-'~~""'~`'~)
/, ~-,__,,,.'~ ,-;;--''
|,4) ./ ' ; ;/'
'-~~;'@ ( ; ;
_.--'' _.-_..' .;.'
(,_..----''' (,..--''

Meow

/),,/)
( ' ; ')
(,,)-(,,)

/),,/)
(' ; ') kiss me
(,,)-(,,)

/),,/)
( ; ' ) kiss me here
(,,)-(,,)

/),,/)
( ; ) kiss me here
(,,)-(,,)

/)
( * ) and KISS ME HERE!
(,,)-(,,)
The Amazing Pussy Wizard {@); ~ }

http://www.tinyurl.com/7bl5u

Please DON'T BE The Amazing Pussy Wizard's PREY.

IT AIN'T PRETTY.

{@); ~ }

Anal gland question Jinxy Dog health 10 February 3rd 05 04:24 PM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 04:38 AM
Expressing anal glands internally [email protected] Dog health 2 August 1st 03 06:17 AM
Anal Gland infection/UTI medication Q Krishur Dog health 6 July 2nd 03 10:09 PM