My Pups and their bumps...

Old October 9th 05, 07:31 PM
Stanley Mode

Default My Pups and their bumps...

I have a litter of husky pups and they have weird little bumps under
their armpits. Some have them on the back of their neck. They don't
seem to bother the puppies too much. At first I thought they might be
little bite marks from rough play. However, one of the males has lost
a small patch of fur in the area where he once had bumps. It does seem
worse on the pups that have extreme markings and coloration.

They're about seven weeks old now and I would like to give them a round
of de-wormer and their vaccines. I'm not sure if these bumps will
become worse when I introduce these items to their little systems.

They live in a clean environment, eat solid food, as well as milk from
mom (though she's about had enough of them). The pups have free reign,
and plenty of room to run and play. They seem completely healthy,
happy and rambunctious. Solid poo, etc. We live in Alaska, and don't
seem to have a real flea and tick problem, so that's been ruled out --
they're aren't any lil' bugs on them either.

Mom and Dad both live with me and are in fine health and have had
absolutley no health issues.

In a week or so I'll bring them to the vet for a puppy check up.

So, a couple of questions:
One, should I go ahead with the de-wormer and vaccines?
Two, anyone had an issue with these types of bumps, and if so what were
some of the names of the conditions and treatments? (So that I know
what to expect as far as the vet bill goes...)

Thanks for your time.

Old October 9th 05, 08:52 PM
buglady

"Stanley Mode" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a litter of husky pups and they have weird little bumps under
their armpits. Some have them on the back of their neck. They don't
seem to bother the puppies too much. At first I thought they might be
little bite marks from rough play. However, one of the males has lost
a small patch of fur in the area where he once had bumps.

.........they're not scratching them? If hair is starting to fall out could
be fungal, mites, staph.

So, a couple of questions:
One, should I go ahead with the de-wormer and vaccines?
Two, anyone had an issue with these types of bumps, and if so what were
some of the names of the conditions and treatments? (So that I know
what to expect as far as the vet bill goes...)

vaccinations:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dogbaby....n%20in%20puppy

.........If the skin condition turns out to be something that needs to be
treated I'd delay vaccinations.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 9th 05, 09:37 PM
Robin Nuttall

Stanley Mode wrote:

So, a couple of questions:
One, should I go ahead with the de-wormer and vaccines?
Two, anyone had an issue with these types of bumps, and if so what were
some of the names of the conditions and treatments? (So that I know
what to expect as far as the vet bill goes...)

They are probably what I call puppy bumps. A bit of a staph infection.
They aren't uncommon in puppies. If at all possible just leave them
alone. Oh you can bathe them with an antifungal soap if the vet
recommends it. But resist the urge to give them antibiotics to clear it
up. It's the sign of an immune system that hasn't quite kicked into
gear. If you give them antibiotics, that will just further suppress the
immune system. Give that system time to battle them. That means you have
have some bumps for a few months. Cala looked like a pineapple for a bit
when she was about 3-4 months old, but she did grow out of it!
Old October 9th 05, 10:55 PM
Stanley Mode

Robin~
After doing a little research online I think I'll have to agree with
you. I'm more into antibotics as a last resort for illness, or
preventive treatment should there be justification due to serious bites
from other dogs. Anyhow, some sites suggest giving probiotics as well
as teatree sprays. Ever try any of these techniques to prevent
pineapple-ness? Thanks again!

Old October 10th 05, 05:00 AM
Robin Nuttall

Stanley Mode wrote:
Robin~
After doing a little research online I think I'll have to agree with
you. I'm more into antibotics as a last resort for illness, or
preventive treatment should there be justification due to serious bites
from other dogs. Anyhow, some sites suggest giving probiotics as well
as teatree sprays. Ever try any of these techniques to prevent
pineapple-ness? Thanks again!

No, I just waited for it to blow over. I especially hate giving
antibiotics to puppies unless it's really, really necessary. A lot of
purebred breeds have generally suppressed immune systems. Then we make
it worse by throwing antibiotics at them for the least little things,
which just suppresses the immune system further by taking over its job.

My motto is to feed a good food and let the body take care of itself.
Cala hasn't had any bumps since she was a baby.
Old October 10th 05, 02:39 PM
buglady

"Stanley Mode" wrote in message
oups.com...
.. Anyhow, some sites suggest giving probiotics as well
as teatree sprays

................probiotics, yes, but personally I wouldn't use tea tree oil
on a puppy.

Old October 11th 05, 01:16 AM
Stanley Mode

Thanks for the advice on the teatree oil! I had not tried any yet, and
I'm glad for my hesitation.

In regards to Mr. Wizard's question
No, I'm not in the 'dog fighting business'. I find it odd that someone
would assume such a thing.

Oh, and also:

"Unless your mom dog has no antibodies, giving
the pups the shots may not be WIZE at this time,
you could cancel HOWET their immunity to both
the mother's antibodies and the vaccinations. "

This is misguided information. It does not cancel out the immunity to
both the mother's antibodies as well as the vaccinations. The
information readers should receive is slightly different.

"The age at which puppies and kittens can effectively be immunized is
proportional to the amount of antibody protection the young animals
received from their mother. High levels of maternal antibodies present
in a puppy's or kitten's bloodstream will block the effectiveness of a
vaccine. When the maternal antibodies drop to a low enough level in the
puppy or kitten, immunity (protection from disease) can be produced
through vaccination.

The antibodies from the mother generally circulate in the newborn's
blood for a number of weeks. There is a period of time from several
days to several weeks in which the maternal antibodies are too low to
provide protection against the disease, but too high to allow a vaccine
to work. This period is called the window of susceptibility. This is
the time when despite being vaccinated, a puppy or kitten can still
contract the disease.

The length and timing of the window of susceptibility is different in
every litter, and even between individuals in a litter. A study of a
cross section of different puppies showed that the age at which they
were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection (become
immunized) covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age, 25% of
the puppies could be immunized. At 9 weeks, 40% of the puppies were
able to respond to the vaccine and were protected. The number increased
to 60% by 16 weeks, and by 18 weeks, 95% of the puppies could be
immunized." -Peteducation.com
Although a website and not an actual vet, my vet agrees with them.

So, Mr. Wizard, it's not that it 'cancels out' all immunity, it's that
the vaccine simply does nothing at all...if the pups are still under
the protection of their mother, even if the levels are not high enough
to prevent disease. My concern with vaccinating had more to do with
adding stress to a bumpy situation. Thanks for trying to help anyHOWE.