problems after neuter

Old October 11th 05, 04:20 AM
Lawlam

Default problems after neuter

we have 2 dogs, both male. one of them was neutered about six months
ago when he was about 9 month old, and the other one remains intact.
for some reason the intact dog (and some neighbors' dogs too) always
thinks that the neutered dog is a female and tries to mount him all the
time. this creates a lot of annoyance and stress to us and both dogs.

i suspect that the neutered dog either has or lacks some special odor
and makes other male dogs think he's a female in heat.

what can i do to keep this from happening again and again?

Thanks, Larry

Old October 11th 05, 04:49 AM
WienerDog

On 10 Oct 2005 20:20:03 -0700, "Lawlam"
wrote:

we have 2 dogs, both male. one of them was neutered about six months
ago when he was about 9 month old, and the other one remains intact.
for some reason the intact dog (and some neighbors' dogs too) always
thinks that the neutered dog is a female and tries to mount him all the
time. this creates a lot of annoyance and stress to us and both dogs.

i suspect that the neutered dog either has or lacks some special odor
and makes other male dogs think he's a female in heat.

what can i do to keep this from happening again and again?

Thanks, Larry

Hello Larry, if you get a reply from The Amazing Puppy Wizard,
killfile him as he will call you abusive names and words. He is not
worth ****.

You just got hooked by replying to this well known
netloon and troll. Once he baits you as he does
with others, you became troll bait and he will flame
you and harass you through this newsgroup and in email.

PLEASE killfile this well known Jerry Howe aka
The Amazing Puppy Wizard who is using alot of aliases in
here. He is a pathological liar and net kook.

All he does is slander and defame people in
here. He knows nothing about dog training or
canine behavior. He just makes this up and
has been trolling this newsgroup for years.

Old October 11th 05, 12:06 PM
buglady

"Lawlam" wrote in message
oups.com...
the intact dog (and some neighbors' dogs too) always
thinks that the neutered dog is a female and tries to mount him all the
time. this creates a lot of annoyance and stress to us and both dogs.

...........It's a dominance thing and has nothing to do with sex. Better you
have one dominant and one not than them both fighting for the top spot. I
suspect it bothers you a lot more than it does the dogs. ;-)

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 11th 05, 12:42 PM

In article .net,
buglady wrote:
..........It's a dominance thing and has nothing to do with sex.

It may also be just play, where it's not uncommon for dogs
lower in the pack structure to hump dogs higher in the pack
structure. Without more information it's impossible to know
which it is. But you're correct that it's a behavioral
issue (to the extent that the word "issue" would apply here)
rather than a physiological one.

The total national debt is now $7,932,709,661,723.50.
Old October 11th 05, 05:48 PM
Stanley Mode

Lawlam wrote:
we have 2 dogs, both male. one of them was neutered about six months
ago when he was about 9 month old, and the other one remains intact.
for some reason the intact dog (and some neighbors' dogs too) always
thinks that the neutered dog is a female and tries to mount him all the
time. this creates a lot of annoyance and stress to us and both dogs.

i suspect that the neutered dog either has or lacks some special odor
and makes other male dogs think he's a female in heat.

what can i do to keep this from happening again and again?

Thanks, Larry

Larry,
I'd have to agree that it's more of a dominating gesture rather than a
sexual one. I've witnessed it with both cats and dogs of the same sex.
I'm pretty certain that your neighbor's dogs as well as your own have
a good understanding of who's-a-boy-who's-a-girl. Ensuring that both
of your own dogs are neutered may help prevent the mounting...
-Stan

Old October 12th 05, 04:22 AM
Lawlam

guys thanks for your replies and suggestions.

at the beginning i also thought it was kind of a dominating gesture,
but now i believe it's sexually related. there are many reasons for
that:

1. my younger dog and the dogs near by just do that to my older dog
after he's neutered
2. for about 2 or 3 days every 2 weeks my younger dog just goes crazy
and keeps on sniffing at the neutered dog's genital and mounts him
whenever he's got the chance. i reckon that if it is just play or a
dominating gesture, if i push him off he'd stop. but he just keeps on
and on, no matter how i push him off, scold at him or even beat (well,
slighty) him on his thighs. it seems to us that he's driven by some
raw instinct that he can't control. this can go on all day long until
the neutered dog hides under the sofa so that there's no space to mount
on him.
3. other male dogs around also have the tendency to mount my neutered
dog, but i have yet to see them do it to my intact dog or other dogs.

the whole situation is getting more and more annoying to us and the
neutered dog. he's starting to response more agressively. i am afraid
they will hurt themselves.

Thanks, Larry

Old October 12th 05, 04:32 AM
Rocky

"Lawlam" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

at the beginning i also thought it was kind of a dominating
gesture, but now i believe it's sexually related.

[snip]
the whole situation is getting more and more annoying to us
and the neutered dog. he's starting to response more
agressively. i am afraid they will hurt themselves.

Then separate them until you come to the realisation that it's
not sexual. At that point you can start to deal properly with
the situation.