Poodle Scratching Too Frequently

Old October 12th 05, 02:14 AM
RM

Default Poodle Scratching Too Frequently

Hi. I have a 5 year old female toy poodle who has been scratching
frequently since July. She seems to scratch under her mouth, collar area,
behind the front legs and sometimes she'll turn around and start gnawing at
her back. Then, right after the scratching, she'll sometimes shake herself
off (as though she were wet). She had a skin scrape done but they couldn't
find any parasites, fleas, etc. The vet put her on a special food diet
(Royal Canin RC Sensitivity) for about 9 weeks. No improvement. I tried
Benadryl (antihistamine), no improvement. An oatmeal shampoo for about 4
weeks, no improvement. The fur on her back is dry and coarse compared to
her head and legs. I went to another vet to get a second opinion and she
upped her Omega 3 capsules to twice a day (from once a day). As well, she
gave her a shot of Ivermectin to see if that would help reduce the
scratching. It didn't. She's also on a different food diet now (Medi Cal
Hypo Allergy).

The next thing on the list is a skin biopsy (done here) followed by skin
allergy tests. There isn't a place here (or in this province) that can do
skin allergy tests, so I'd have to drive 6 hrs to the next province.

Could it be something environmental? I haven't done anything different in
the house other than painting it in the summer (water based paint); which
the vet said shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone run into something similar to this before? This is driving me, and
my poor dog, crazy. I've seen a product called Skin-Eze on the Internet.
Does this stuff work as advertised?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thnx.
Old October 14th 05, 03:51 AM
RM

So how do you determine if she has an obsessive compulsive disorder?
Sometimes she really scratches hard so it definitely looks like something is
bothering her.