Puppy not eating..Vet says he's ok

Old October 16th 05, 10:18 PM
Poseur

Default Puppy not eating..Vet says he's ok

I know this question gets asked every couple days (I've Google searched).
Westie. Almost 6 mos.
Voracious when I got him at 10 wks.
Started getting a bit listless and barely eating at about 4 mos. Had
hookworms. Treated it. He was fine.

Started again about a week ago. Tried to entice him by mixing liver and
other treats in. Got some of that Red Barn rolled stuff that he ate first
time around. Not interested. Took him to the vet Friday. No worms. Had
only gained 0.2 lbs over the previous month or so (10.9). Says she can't
find anything wrong with him on exam. She palpated his belly pretty good.
No tenderness at all. Said his bowels felt a little "gassy." Figured he's
just a chip off the old block. She fed him some "bland" canned stuff
there. He ate it but not the way a hungry puppy does.

After the first go round, went back to kibble (Nutro Max). He was eating
it fine until recently. Got a box of Bil-Jac at Petsmart last night. He
ate it well. Today, almost nothing. He's eaten barely 1/2 cup today.
My daughter and I love this dog immensely. Great little guy. I'm very
worried.

Anyone have any experience with this? Some reassurance or even brutal
truth.I want to hang with him for 12 to 15 years.
Old October 16th 05, 11:21 PM
Janet B

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:18:50 GMT, Poseur ,
clicked their heels and said:

Had
only gained 0.2 lbs over the previous month or so (10.9).

Keep in mind, that as a small breed, he's pretty much reached most of
his adult size. This is compared to a lab or such, who's about 2/3+
of his adult size at 6 months.

After the first go round, went back to kibble (Nutro Max). He was eating
it fine until recently. Got a box of Bil-Jac at Petsmart last night. He
ate it well. Today, almost nothing. He's eaten barely 1/2 cup today.
My daughter and I love this dog immensely. Great little guy. I'm very
worried.

Anyone have any experience with this? Some reassurance or even brutal
truth.I want to hang with him for 12 to 15 years.

Are you free feeding or leaving food down (a common thing for people
worried about their dog eating, to do)? Giving him treats? Coaxing
and fretting? STOP.

START measuring out 2 meals per day (don't go by the bag - reduce that
amount some - taking into account treats (withheld for now but given
in future). Have a routine. Dog sits, waits, get permission to eat
and gets 15 minutes to do so, with you nearby (dogs are social eaters
and like someone nearby usually). Walks away? After 15 minutes, it
gets taken up. NO TREATS or anything until next mealtime. Hang
tough. Present next meal the same way, etc. Most dogs figure it out
pretty quickly.

Use the Bil-Jac for now which he has shown he likes.

Once again - hang tough. He will not starve himself. But he will
train you to hover and give anything you think he'll eat. Don't let
that happen.

Also - some dogs prefer most of their meal in the evening vs the
morning, or vice versa. A little experimentation may be in order. No
dessert until dinner (or breakfast) is consumed!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old October 17th 05, 01:37 AM
Carlshead

" and gets 15 minutes to do so, with you nearby (dogs are social eaters
and like someone nearby usually). Walks away? After 15 minutes, it

Thanks Janet,

I had no idea that dogs were social eaters. Food and weight are probably
the only two problems I have never had with my 9 year old Dachsund. I have
always just left food in his bowl and he eats when he wants (about a cup and
a half to two cups of dry food). But on the rare occassions when I actually
sit down at the kitchen table and eat, he will come in and finish his bowl.
I had noticed the behavior but never connected the dots.

And for those who think people food is cute for dogs, see your dog go
through a pancreatitis attack one time. Incredible pain and crying, bulging
eyes, and about $600 total with the emergency vet and my regular vet.

Carl

Old October 17th 05, 01:43 AM
Rocky

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Once again - hang tough. He will not starve himself. But
he will train you to hover and give anything you think
he'll eat. Don't let that happen.

And it doesn't take long for them to train us. The little CKCS
that stays here every day is a case in point. Over Thanksgiving
last weekend, he received bits of turkey heart, liver, etc. in
his kibble *every* meal for three days. After that, he'd only
nibble at his regular kibble and not eat his midday meal here at
all.

As I advised Timmie's owner, if she wants to give him special
stuff, like turkey innards, use it for training.

Old October 17th 05, 02:14 AM
Poseur

Janet B wrote in
:
Had
only gained 0.2 lbs over the previous month or so (10.9).

Keep in mind, that as a small breed, he's pretty much reached most of
his adult size. This is compared to a lab or such, who's about 2/3+
of his adult size at 6 months.

Thank you immensely. I'm gonna print out your response and stick it on the
fridge, do exactly what you've said. I'll get back to you in a few days.
Just a worried parent...
Old October 21st 05, 02:57 PM
Poseur

Poseur wrote in
:

I know this question gets asked every couple days (I've
Google searched). Westie. Almost 6 mos.
Voracious when I got him at 10 wks.
Started getting a bit listless and barely eating at about 4
mos. Had hookworms. Treated it. He was fine.

Started again about a week ago. Tried to entice him by
mixing liver and other treats in. Got some of that Red Barn
rolled stuff that he ate first time around. Not interested.
Took him to the vet...

Ok, I blinked. I went 2 more days. He ate 4 pieces of kibble
during that time. I got all 21st century worrier and surfed
till I BARF'd...next morning I'm at the grocery store buying
chicken backs etc. Gave him 2 fairly big pieces (one cut in
1/2). One he ate. The other I found under the sofa later.
After that, he ate plenty. I chopped them up smaller. He'd
look at them and as soon as I left his sight, they were gone
(and not under the sofa).
Today I threw some of his kibble down with the pieces of
flesh. He ate them also.

He has also resumed getting ahold of anything that he is not
supposed to get ahold of. Reassuring but annoying.

So, the explanation for his short term anorexia is 'who
knows?' I did catch him giving his beagle friend the high-five
however and I could swear I heard him say "Dude, it worked
like a charm..."

--
Poseur