looking for a female siberian husky

Old October 17th 05, 06:45 PM
Steph

Default looking for a female siberian husky

Hi I have a 1 1/2 year old male blk and wht siberian Husky who is
papered and my husband and I are trying to find a female who is looking
to be bred. We live south of Portland and we are looking locally. Does
anyone have any ideas?
Thank you
Stephanie

Old October 17th 05, 06:55 PM

In article .com,
Steph wrote:
Hi I have a 1 1/2 year old male blk and wht siberian Husky who is
papered and my husband and I are trying to find a female who is looking
to be bred. We live south of Portland and we are looking locally. Does
anyone have any ideas?

Yes - Siberian Husky rescue groups are so overcrowded that
they don't have any room to take in more and an awful lot of
purebred, "papered" Siberians are being killed at shelters
as a result. If your dog has objectively proven himself to
be a desirable breeding partner though competition
(sledding, agility, conformation, whathaveyou) you'll
probably already know other people with top-notch Siberians.
If not, one of the many things this world doesn't need is
more Siberian Huskies.

What we have here is a form of looting. -- Nobel laureate in
economics George Akerlof, on Bush economic policy
Old October 18th 05, 12:54 AM

On 17 Oct 2005 10:45:03 -0700 Steph whittled these words:
Hi I have a 1 1/2 year old male blk and wht siberian Husky who is
papered and my husband and I are trying to find a female who is looking
to be bred. We live south of Portland and we are looking locally. Does
anyone have any ideas?
Thank you
Stephanie

Sure, but are you open minded enough to consider those ideas? I'm not
going to tell you "don't breed." But I will ask that you spend some
time and effort into learning the risks and consequences of breeding
before you proceed. Once you do that you may decide that doing it in
a way that is consistent with your love of dogs is more work than it is
worth. The advantage you have here is that you get the opportunity to
avoid making mistakes. You can be spared the guilt and regrets that at
least some of us have undergone.

I'm sure you love your dog. And I have no doubt he is a terrific dog.
But is breeding him a loving thing to do? Something like 95% of registered
dogs come from breeders like yourself, who breed just once. So what kind
of breeder do you want to be? You will need to do a lot of work and
education to not be the kind of breeder whose dogs are dying in shelters.

A typical litter for a husky would be eight or more puppies. If you take
one that leaves a minimum of seven to find permanent homes for. More
likely you'll have eight or nine to place. Then 63% of dogs lose their
homes before they are 2 years old. That means that on average you can
expect 5 or six of those puppies to end up in a shelter. So are you ready
to accept the death of those puppies? Because that is the most likely
fate.

If you are thinking of adding dogs to the population I think it is fair
for you to get some personal experience as to the risks your puppies will
face. Do some volunteering for your local rescue. Get a solid
understanding of the challenges of permanent placement. More good dogs
die than can be placed in homes. So you need to replace theory about
permanent placement with involvement in the reality.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old October 18th 05, 01:07 AM

In article , wrote:
But I will ask that you spend some
time and effort into learning the risks and consequences of breeding
before you proceed.

It may be worth pointing out that Siberian Husky breeders
have had good success at reducing the incidence of hip
dysplasia and other genetic disorders by getting religion
about testing and about good breeding practices. HD used to
be a problem in the breed and it really isn't anymore. Eye
problems are still pretty common, though, as well as some
skin problems like zinc-responsive dermatosis.

The Siberian Husky Club of America (the AKC-recognized
Siberian breed club) has its breeding ethical guidelines
online at: http://www.shca.org/shcahp4b.htm

Old October 18th 05, 01:49 AM
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
It may be worth pointing out that Siberian Husky breeders
have had good success at reducing the incidence of hip
dysplasia and other genetic disorders by getting religion
about testing and about good breeding practices. HD used to
be a problem in the breed and it really isn't anymore. Eye
problems are still pretty common, though, as well as some
skin problems like zinc-responsive dermatosis.

Since the eager stud is only one and a half years old, I think we can rule
out any thought that this poster has even considered hip dysplasia. IIRC,
dogs need to be at least two years old before the testing is done? Even if
it's not a big problem in the breed anymore, it sure would make sense to me
to test any breeding stock. Just to be sure that all the bases are covered.

I'm assuming that the eye problems are something to be tested for
periodically over the life of the dog - particularly breeding stock? I was
discussing Sibes with someone who has them and it seemed to me that some of
the problems are the same ones that are addressed by responsible schnauzer
breeders. One test is done before the puppies ever leave the breeder. At
least one of the other problems is something that *can* show up later - even
if previous tests were negative. Which is why you test all breeding stock
for schnauzers every year. And I make an attempt to get my neutered dogs
checked at least every few years - mostly for the breeders' information.
( I know. I should know what they're checking for. And I *could* look it
up in my files. And I *would* before I made the appointment for the test.
But my brain seems to be already full today.)

~~Judy

Old October 18th 05, 03:13 AM

In article ,
Judy wrote:
I'm assuming that the eye problems are something to be tested for
periodically over the life of the dog - particularly breeding stock?

Right, and in fact some breeders are diligent about having
potential breeding stock's littermates tested, too, whether
or not they've got breeding potential. There was never any
real question about breeding Image (one of these days I'll
get some pictures of her wacky hind end action) but the
folks who sold her to me had tests done, anyway, and her
littermate Ivory was bred.

Old October 18th 05, 01:28 PM
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Right, and in fact some breeders are diligent about having
potential breeding stock's littermates tested, too, whether
or not they've got breeding potential.

Same with the schnauzers. Not every year, but I keep trying periodically to
get the tests done on my two. They're both neutered but their brother is
out at stud and that whole branch of their family continues branching out.
The breeder has someone come right to her house and do every dog there,
breeding or otherwise, once a year - which would include mine if I drove out
that day.

So far they're both clear (as are all of her dogs), but I figure the test is
something I can make happen every five years or so, just for informational
purposes.

There was an eye clinic up at Wine Country but I chose not to do it then.
It would have stressed the dogs (well, Spenser. Very little stresses Sassy
for more than a minute and a half) and I didn't want it to affect their
agility runs. My vet tells me there's usually a clinic down here once a
year or so. Probably costs a little more than the group rate Wine Country
got.

~~Judy

HELP with SIBERIAN HUSKY Jen R. Dog behavior 14 March 23rd 05 02:54 PM
Siberian Husky William Dog breeds 1 January 9th 05 05:40 PM
Siberian Husky with a shoe fetish Joseph Ferraro Dog behavior 6 December 29th 04 02:40 AM
Siberian Husky, shy and afraid of my bf. Amishka Dog breeds 5 December 23rd 04 05:36 PM
newbie just got a Husky pup, asks for info sighthounds etc. Dog behavior 22 July 26th 03 05:47 PM