dog greeting me happily after walks

Old October 18th 05, 05:43 AM
Rosa

Default dog greeting me happily after walks

Hi!

My Hobbe has a habit of getting really excited when we get inside after our
walks. He is acting almost the same way he does when I come home without
him.
I don't get what could be so great about the walk being over.
Does anyone here have any ideas on what is going on, at that moment, in his
little smooth peasized brain?

Rosa

Old October 18th 05, 05:43 AM
Tee

"Rosa" wrote in message
Hi!

My Hobbe has a habit of getting really excited when we get inside after
our walks. He is acting almost the same way he does when I come home
without him.
I don't get what could be so great about the walk being over.
Does anyone here have any ideas on what is going on, at that moment, in
his little smooth peasized brain?

You might have inadvertantly taught him that mom coming in the door, maybe
just the front door, means happy dance & attention. Does he do this if you
go out front for a while, him knowing your there, and then come back inside
or is it only after walks and when you come home?

--
Tara

Old October 18th 05, 09:34 AM
Rosa

"Tee" wrote in message
"Rosa" wrote in message
Hi!

My Hobbe has a habit of getting really excited when we get inside after
our walks. He is acting almost the same way he does when I come home
without him.
I don't get what could be so great about the walk being over.
Does anyone here have any ideas on what is going on, at that moment, in
his little smooth peasized brain?

You might have inadvertantly taught him that mom coming in the door, maybe
just the front door, means happy dance & attention. Does he do this if
you go out front for a while, him knowing your there, and then come back
inside or is it only after walks and when you come home?

--
Tara

Sorry, i should have mentioned i live in an apartment. So if i go out
without him, i'm always "gone".

This is what I do when i get home:
When i come home, i tell him to leave me alone until i have removed my
shoes, coat and so on. This works pretty well - he still dances and makes a
fuss, but doesn't get in the way. If he's been alone for a short time i pet
him a while.
If he has been alone for a long time, we have a "routine". I throw myself on
the sofa and then he gets to jump up, lie beside me, or on me. We cuddle and
he licks me, grins and "picks flees" (yeah, sounds wacky, and totally wrong
if you're into the strict alpha stuff -but i enjoy it =)). This continues
until one of us thinks it's enough. It's usually me, but sometimes he gets
so excited he has to jump down and pick up a toy.
After walks it's the same thing with shoes, coat etc - and then he gets a
pat or two, i say "yeah, yeah, that's enough" and stop. Still he continues
to dance around, trying to get more attention.

I guess i've hoped he would notice the difference in my behaviour, and not
bother to get that excited after walks.

Rosa

Oh, and even if his master is home, he will first run to say a short hi to
him, and then run back to me, and do that a few more times - it's like he's
just as happy to see us both.