Brown rice in BC diet ?

Old October 21st 05, 11:48 AM
Pete

Default Brown rice in BC diet ?

I feed my 6yo BC with a raw diet.

6 days a week it's a whole fresh chicken quarter and on the 7th day
she gets fresh lamb live.
I alternate what I mix with her main ingredient between cooked brown
rice and 'mulch' (juiced kale/carrots/spring greens with a hint of
garlic)
In addition she has 1 - 2 bonio a day.

She's been on this diet for 4 yrs and is very happy and healthy.

She gets walked every day either by me or my neighbour.
When she does her toilet when I'm walking her I don't notice anything
wrong with her 'output', but over the last month or so, my neighbour
often reports that the day after she's had rice, her stools are very
runny bordering on liquid (that's the dog, not my neighbour !)

Is anyone aware of brown rice causing a bit of a tummy upset in BC's?
and if so, are there any suggestions as to an alternative to the brown
rice? (pasta possibly??)

Thanks in advance
Pete

Old October 21st 05, 11:49 AM
Pete

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:48:07 +0100, Pete
wrote:

[...]

Oops - just realised - 2nd paragraph should read -

6 days a week it's a whole fresh chicken quarter and on the 7th day
she gets fresh lamb liver.
Old October 21st 05, 02:10 PM
buglady

"Pete" wrote in message
I feed my 6yo BC with a raw diet.

6 days a week it's a whole fresh chicken quarter and on the 7th day
she gets fresh lamb liver.
I alternate what I mix with her main ingredient between cooked brown
rice and 'mulch' (juiced kale/carrots/spring greens with a hint of
garlic)
In addition she has 1 - 2 bonio a day.

.....................what's a bonio?

She's been on this diet for 4 yrs and is very happy and healthy.

She gets walked every day either by me or my neighbour.
When she does her toilet when I'm walking her I don't notice anything
wrong with her 'output', but over the last month or so, my neighbour
often reports that the day after she's had rice, her stools are very
runny bordering on liquid (that's the dog, not my neighbour !)

Is anyone aware of brown rice causing a bit of a tummy upset in BC's?

.........I'd take in a stool sample to make sure there are no parasites.

.....................brown rice is hard for dogs to digest. If you insist on
feeding carbs, white rice or oatmeal would be better. I don't feed carbs
myself.

...........Personally I don't think there's enough variety in this diet. I'd
be adding other meats to this diet (lamb, beef, pork), not to mention some
heart and kidney, plus eggs for B vitamins.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 22nd 05, 01:12 PM
Pete

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:10:46 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

Thanks for your reply...

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
I feed my 6yo BC with a raw diet.

6 days a week it's a whole fresh chicken quarter and on the 7th day
she gets fresh lamb liver.
I alternate what I mix with her main ingredient between cooked brown
rice and 'mulch' (juiced kale/carrots/spring greens with a hint of
garlic)
In addition she has 1 - 2 bonio a day.

....................what's a bonio?

Bonio is a dog biscuit

She's been on this diet for 4 yrs and is very happy and healthy.

She gets walked every day either by me or my neighbour.
When she does her toilet when I'm walking her I don't notice anything
wrong with her 'output', but over the last month or so, my neighbour
often reports that the day after she's had rice, her stools are very
runny bordering on liquid (that's the dog, not my neighbour !)

Is anyone aware of brown rice causing a bit of a tummy upset in BC's?

........I'd take in a stool sample to make sure there are no parasites.

As I mentioned, her stools appear normal to me and my neighbour has
only mentioned that they appear runny the day after I have fed rice..
My neighbour is a lovely person but she is a hypochondriac and I think
maybe she's exaggerating a bit as I've rarely seen anything untoward
with her stools.

....................brown rice is hard for dogs to digest. If you insist on
feeding carbs, white rice or oatmeal would be better. I don't feed carbs
myself.

I certainly don't 'insist' on feeding carbs - nowhere in my post did
that word occur.
I'm looking for suggestions as to how best to modify her diet if
necessary, and welcome any suggestions

..........Personally I don't think there's enough variety in this diet. I'd
be adding other meats to this diet (lamb, beef, pork), not to mention some
heart and kidney, plus eggs for B vitamins.

I feed her a whole chicken quarter (drumstick/thigh) I trim off all
the meat/skin and mix it with either the rice or mulch and give her
the bone which she really enjoys - her vet has commented that her
teeth are in excellent condition and further that she is in excellent
general health.
As I mentioned, I do feed her lambs liver once a week (approx 3/4lb),
I've tried her on other things - pig liver/hearts/kidney but she
doesn't eat them.

I'll certainly include eggs in her diet a few times a week and try her
with white rice.

thanks again
Pete

Old October 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
buglady

"Pete" wrote in message
I certainly don't 'insist' on feeding carbs - nowhere in my post did
that word occur.

......dogs don't really need carbs unless they're pregnant or nursing.

I feed her a whole chicken quarter (drumstick/thigh) I trim off all
the meat/skin and mix it with either the rice or mulch and give her
the bone which she really enjoys - her vet has commented that her
teeth are in excellent condition and further that she is in excellent
general health.
As I mentioned, I do feed her lambs liver once a week (approx 3/4lb),
I've tried her on other things - pig liver/hearts/kidney but she
doesn't eat them.

...................variety is the key to a raw diet. Unless there's a reason
your dog can't eat pork (neck bones or ribs), beef (heart, neck bones), lamb
(ribs) or whatever else you can get your hands on in the UK, it's best to
try to add some other things. Organs like kidney are important too, green
tripe if you can find it or sweetbreads. Organs should not be fed in large
quantities on a daily basis. Dogs are relatives of wolves which consume
mostly ungulates (those split toed critters). It's just healthier to
broaden the diet choices a bit as they evolved eating more than just birds.
Try adding just a few pieces of heart or organs to the normal mix you
prepare to get your dog used to it. There's plenty of bone in that chicken
quarter to cover 2 meals. I feed 2X a day and only one of the meals has
bone in it. The other is meat, yogurt and egg.

best of luck

Old October 25th 05, 10:53 AM
Pete

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 01:52:04 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Many thanks for your suggestions.
I'll try her out with some of your alternatives.

Very best wishes
Pete