Replacing deck with patio: Will dogs use as bathroom?

Old October 22nd 05, 03:51 AM
Bryan

Default Replacing deck with patio: Will dogs use as bathroom?

I have a dog run (pea gravel) on the side of my house, then a few stone
steps, then 2 steps up to a redwood deck. My dogs have the run of the deck
and sleep on the covered portion. Right now, my dogs, a Labrador Retriever
and a Yorkshire Terrier, do their business in the dog run and not on the
deck.

I'm worried that when I replace the raised redwood deck with a ground level
concrete (or other hard material) patio that the dogs will start using it as
a bathroom. Is this likely? Is there a way to make a successful transition
so they will recognize the patio as their new home and continue to use the
dog run as the bathroom?

Old October 22nd 05, 05:33 AM
Roger Taylor

"Bryan" wrote in message
om...
I have a dog run (pea gravel) on the side of my house, then a few stone
steps, then 2 steps up to a redwood deck. My dogs have the run of the deck
and sleep on the covered portion. Right now, my dogs, a Labrador Retriever
and a Yorkshire Terrier, do their business in the dog run and not on the
deck. I'm worried that when I replace the raised redwood deck with a
ground level concrete (or other hard material) patio that the dogs will
start using it as a bathroom. Is this likely? Is there a way to make a
successful transition so they will recognize the patio as their new home
and continue to use the dog run as the bathroom?

Being creatures of habit, I suspect they will still use the pea gravel, as
unappetizing as that must be to your dogs. Once they get accustomed to the
cement patio as a sleeping/lounging area, you might wish to consider grass
for the dog run area.

Old October 22nd 05, 06:31 PM
SQLit

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
"Bryan" wrote in message
[...]

Some grass would be a lot better for your pets. Pea gravel though it drains
easily is not the best for their pads over a long period of time.

Who cares if they use the concrete for a potty. Surely you have a hose near
by.