people are idiots pt 294

Old October 22nd 05, 10:13 PM
culprit

Default people are idiots pt 294

today Manu, the husband and i went to a big box pet store to get some
necessary supplies. Manu was being a butt head since they were doing kitten
adoptions, and apparently the sound of kittens makes him kind of excited.
ok, really really excited.

so i took him outside, and put him in a down stay while the husband bought
the necessary stuff. so there was this kid sitting there with a kitten on
his shoulder, meowing loudly, which already had Manu twitching and sliding
from butt cheek to butt cheek, when this Golden Retriever, off leash, comes
up to Manu, sniffing all over. Manu was pissed. growling, down right
snarling at this idiot dog. breaks his stay and lunges, something he hasn't
done in a *long* time. i reeled him in and mentioned to the owner that
having a dog off leash around strange pit bulls might not be the brightest
idea, and he's like, "yeah, thanks", all sarcastic like. i suddenly had a
flash of accidentally dropping the leash, but then my brane got the better
of me and i gave him a pop and said "leave it".
He kept growling, and the idiot Golden kept looking at him as he walked
away. husband came out and said "what happened?" i said, loud enough for
idiot owner to hear, "oh, that idiot thought having his dog off lead around
Manu was a good idea. good thing Manu didn't break his lead."

*sigh*

people are incredibly stupid.

-kelly

Old October 23rd 05, 12:05 AM
Spot

Sounds like the dog suited the owner somewhat. Goldens are nice but not all
that bright at times........... My aunt has one who I've only ever played
with 3 times and the dog just lets anyone walk into the house. I got more
of an alarm response out of her 16 year old shepard mix today when I walked
in the house then I did the golden.

Some guard dog she is, more like a marshmallow who will smother you to death

Celeste

Old October 23rd 05, 02:41 AM
Janet Puistonen

culprit wrote:
[...]

Let me get this straight: your dog, who apparently wants to eat every
animal, be it canine or feline, he sees is just fine, but a friendly dog is
an "idiot"? I gather that the point of this post is that anyone who thinks
that any pit can be trusted to behave in a civilized manner is "dumb"?
Thanks for clearing that up. (Newsflash: normal dogs approach each other and
sniff. It is not a sign of "idiot" behavior. Now, growling, snarling and
lunging at an inoffensive stranger...what is that?)

Old October 23rd 05, 02:45 AM
Janet Puistonen

Spot wrote:
Sounds like the dog suited the owner somewhat. Goldens are nice but
not all that bright at times........... My aunt has one who I've
only ever played with 3 times and the dog just lets anyone walk into
the house. I got more of an alarm response out of her 16 year old
shepard mix today when I walked in the house then I did the golden.

Some guard dog she is, more like a marshmallow who will smother you
to death
Celeste

Since when does guardian instinct equate to intelligence? That's like saying
that prey drive equals intelligence.

I have two dogs, one of whom is very intelligent and responsive, the other
of whom is probably the dumbest dog I've ever owned. Guess which one barks
and growls when people approach the house?

Old October 23rd 05, 03:14 AM
sighthounds & siberians

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 01:45:22 GMT, "Janet Puistonen"
wrote:

Spot wrote:
Sounds like the dog suited the owner somewhat. Goldens are nice but
not all that bright at times........... My aunt has one who I've
only ever played with 3 times and the dog just lets anyone walk into
the house. I got more of an alarm response out of her 16 year old
shepard mix today when I walked in the house then I did the golden.

Some guard dog she is, more like a marshmallow who will smother you
to death
Celeste

Since when does guardian instinct equate to intelligence? That's like saying
that prey drive equals intelligence.

Since never. Our Tasha, a Siberian Husky, is the smartest dog I'll
ever have. When one of our Greyhounds was lost in some woods about 5
miles from our home, DH took her along to the location where the GH
had been sighted by the police and told her to "find Matty" - - the
first time she'd ever heard those words. Her nose went to the ground
and they walked for about 10 minutes - - DH believing that Tasha was
probably out for a great romp in the woods - - before she stuck her
head into some brush and his head popped out. But like most dogs of
her breed, she has no protective instinct whatsoever, loves just about
everybody she meets, and would let burglars into the house (we don't
have silver for her to show them).

Mustang Sally

Old October 23rd 05, 03:47 AM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Janet Puistonen" wrote in

Let me get this straight: your dog, who apparently wants to eat every
animal, be it canine or feline, he sees is just fine, but a friendly
dog is an "idiot"? I gather that the point of this post is that
anyone who thinks that any pit can be trusted to behave in a civilized
manner is "dumb"? Thanks for clearing that up. (Newsflash: normal dogs
approach each other and sniff. It is not a sign of "idiot" behavior.
Now, growling, snarling and lunging at an inoffensive stranger...what
is that?)

If you had actually read what Kelly wrote, you would have seen that she had
Manu in a down/stay on a leash, while the GR was off-leash and wandering
free. In that case, it is the responsability of the owner whose dog is off-
leash to ensure his/her dog is under control.

Marcel
Old October 23rd 05, 02:49 PM
Spot

Oh get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus some people only comprehend
bits n pieces.

Did you EVEN READ the post. I said the dog suited the owner somewhat. No
where did I ever say that ALL dogs are stupid and dumb I said that Goldens
are not all that bright sometimes.

Celeste

Old October 23rd 05, 07:54 PM
culprit

"Janet Puistonen" wrote in message

Let me get this straight: your dog, who apparently wants to eat every
animal, be it canine or feline, he sees is just fine, but a friendly dog

is
an "idiot"? I gather that the point of this post is that anyone who

thinks
that any pit can be trusted to behave in a civilized manner is "dumb"?
Thanks for clearing that up. (Newsflash: normal dogs approach each other

and
sniff. It is not a sign of "idiot" behavior. Now, growling, snarling and
lunging at an inoffensive stranger...what is that?)

try reading the original post again, then try reading this one.

are you aware that many dogs who are leashed become aggressive around
unleashed dogs? this is common behavior.
are you aware that many dogs are uncomfortable being sniffed when they're
restrained and the dog doing the sniffing is not?
are you aware that having a dog off lead in a busy public area (like a
shopping complex) is not only illegal, it's completely stupid?
are you aware that most dogs are excited by environments like big box pet
stores, with their smells, their sounds, etc?
are you aware that every cute small terrier on leash in that damn place that
was dragging its owner to the meowing cats probably had the same idea as
Manu, i just had the common sense to take my 70 pound pit bull outside,
rather than frighten anyone with his exuberance and breed?

all dogs have their butt-head days, Manu's was just majorly complicated by
the fact that some idiot let his dog walk up and sniff a restrained dog of
totally unknown temperament on a bad day.

which i think is utterly stupid.

and i think the neighbors' dogs that Manu regularly romps with, as well as
his sister, would take offense to your first statement, but fortunately,
they can't read very well.

-kelly

Old October 23rd 05, 08:19 PM

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 01:41:48 GMT Janet Puistonen whittled these words:

Let me get this straight: your dog, who apparently wants to eat every
animal, be it canine or feline, he sees is just fine, but a friendly dog is
an "idiot"? I gather that the point of this post is that anyone who thinks
that any pit can be trusted to behave in a civilized manner is "dumb"?
Thanks for clearing that up. (Newsflash: normal dogs approach each other and
sniff. It is not a sign of "idiot" behavior. Now, growling, snarling and
lunging at an inoffensive stranger...what is that?)

It is is not polite in the dog world for one dog to come up into the face
of another dog. A dog that has good manners in the dog world stops
several feet away, engages eye contact, looks away, and presents body
posture that invites greeting and play. It is simply rude dog behavior to
walk right up to another dog without dog mumber one finding out if dog
number two is interested in meeting. The owner of a dog that has never
learned correct dog greeting behavior needs to prevent that dog from being
rude.

Golden Retrievers are probably among the most notorious for being entirely
lacking in good dog manners.

Dogs that are on leash and behaving themselves should be able to be in
public without being subject to rude behavior. One dog running up to
another and sniffing in public is no more acceptable than some random
person giving another random person a big hug at the mall. There is a
time and a place where we expect "friendly" greetings. A dog park, for
example, or a bar if you are human. But no person goes out shopping with
the expectation that it is OK if some random stranger walks up and gives
them a kiss on the cheek, and no dog should have to put up with the
equivalent from strange dogs.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old October 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
sighthounds & siberians

On 23 Oct 2005 02:47:10 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
wrote:

"Janet Puistonen" wrote in

Let me get this straight: your dog, who apparently wants to eat every
animal, be it canine or feline, he sees is just fine, but a friendly
dog is an "idiot"? I gather that the point of this post is that
anyone who thinks that any pit can be trusted to behave in a civilized
manner is "dumb"? Thanks for clearing that up. (Newsflash: normal dogs
approach each other and sniff. It is not a sign of "idiot" behavior.
Now, growling, snarling and lunging at an inoffensive stranger...what
is that?)

If you had actually read what Kelly wrote, you would have seen that she had
Manu in a down/stay on a leash, while the GR was off-leash and wandering
free. In that case, it is the responsability of the owner whose dog is off-
leash to ensure his/her dog is under control.

That's true. It's also true that it's not a great idea to take a dog
that isn't friendly with other dogs to places where there are likely
to be lots of other dogs. Because dogs will be dogs, you know.

Mustang Sally