Seems the old methods still work well.

Old October 24th 05, 12:08 AM
Capri

Default Seems the old methods still work well.

A few weeks ago it was about time to start training Sandy, my new
Golden Retriever, A little over 6 mos old. Now I've had dogs pretty
much all my life, trained them and hunted with them, so traing a dog is
nothing new to me. But I figured I take a turn by the library anyway to
see what new developments there were in the last 13 years or so since
I'd trained maggie Mae, my Spronger Spaniels. Seems like there is a lot
of new stuff out there now, clikers and high tech electric collars.
Lots of dog psychology about training your dog with love. I looked
thru it then went home and got out my 30 year book by Dick Koehler (I
can almost hear the collective group gasp, being led by none other than
Jerry Howe) I already had a choker collar but had to fashion a long
lead and I was ready. 4 weeks later Sandy is on the way to being well
trained. She will heel by my side off leash, stay and sit when told
and wont release till allowed, and come when told. She knows who the
boss in this relationship is but I din't abuse or hurt her and only had
to use a few training aids. the long leas, leash and collar. I still
think the Koehler method when used correctly is one of the most
effective ever.

Now I know I will probably get a lot of flak for the above but it I'm
tired of the crowd that believes the only way you can train your dog is
with lots of love and food. I took a friend to an obedience class a
couple of years ago, based on something called clicker training and
feeding the dog eveytime it did what you wanted. He was 6 weeks into
his traing and I'd never seen a bunch of rowdier dogs.

Hope everyone has a really nice day!

Old October 24th 05, 03:27 PM
Mary Healey

"Capri" wrote in news:1130108924.411564.164130
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

A few weeks ago it was about time to start training Sandy, my new
Golden Retriever, A little over 6 mos old.

Why'd you wait so long?

can almost hear the collective group gasp, being led by none other than
Jerry Howe)

Auditory hallucinations. You oughta see somebody for that.

Old October 24th 05, 03:40 PM

on 2005-10-24 at 14:27 wrote:

Auditory hallucinations. You oughta see somebody for that.

auditory *and* visual hallucinations. sweet!

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old October 24th 05, 11:14 PM
Pawman

Hi Capri,

Firstly don't pay any attention to anything The Pissy Wizard says.
He's a nobody with no credibility and he doesn't follow through with
any of his made up threats.

Secondly, yes the Koehler method is still brilliant. It needs a few
modifications to bring it up to date but most normal people are quite
capable of working that out.

One thing I noticed is that the Koehler method is simply the Konrad
Most method with all the psychological explainations removed. If you
read one book and then the other you will see they are nearly identical
in method...... it's just that one book (Most) gives you all the
explainations as to how and why things work and the other book
(Koehler) does not do this.

Regards,

Grant 'The Paw Man'
ICQ# 12854070