Problems with crate training

Old October 27th 05, 06:16 AM
kat

Default Problems with crate training

Hello,
I am new to the group since recently adopting a new lab mix puppy.
Hunter is 3 months old and has no previous training. He came from a
humane society where I imagine he was crated all the time. My boyfriend

and I decided we were only going to crate our puppy when we are not
home and cannot take him with us. Here's the problem, at night when he
sleeps with us he can hold his bladder and bowel for seven hours. The
only time he's had an accident is when he had a bout of diarrhea we
since gotten treated. My boyfriend works days and I work nights, so the

only time puppy is crated is a half hour between our shifts and if we
go out (3 hours @ the most). No matter how long he is in the crate
15min- 4hrs. He ALWAYS pees in his crate and lays in it. Since I
realized he is doing this I don't put anything in with him except for
some Kongs. He would chew newspaper, blankets, towels, ect. and still
pee. The only accidents he has during the day is when I am not paying
close enough attention to him. When at out of his crate he usually
sniffs around the front door when he has to go.
Also, when I do put him in the crate he whines and rushes the door for
at least three hours before quieting down. have tried putting him in
the crate when I am home and
he does the same thing, so I took him out before he could pee all over
the place again. We begin puppy training classes the 29th. Until then I

was considering purchasing a new kennel with a pull-out tray so that
when he pees it will go under him into the tray instead of all over the

bottom of his crate and on him. Is this a good idea or is this
condoning his behavior? Also, am having trouble finding a crate like
that locally. Well the first night we used the gate everything went
great. We tried
it again last night and Humter decided that if the cat could roam
around freely he should be able to also. So, he jumped the 32" gate and

got out. He didn't do ANYTHING destructive which is suprising since all

of his toys were on the other side of the gate. He did pee in one spot
but he was alone for about 5 hours. We're not too worried about the
carpet since our house is old and it will be ripped up when we get
Hunter potty trained. So, my bf is going to either but two more gates
to stack on top of the others or put wood toppers on them. Has anyone
else tried this? I do use the enzyme cleaner and he still goes in the
crate. The crate
is only big enough for him to turn around in, therefore everytime he
pees it gets all over him.
Thanks,
Kat :0)

Old October 28th 05, 05:40 PM
Rocky

"kat" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Does anyone want to actually answer my questions? Or do you
only criticize people who want advice on how to better
their relationship with their canine companion?

FWIW, you posted the above to 5 groups - many people won't see
it because excessive multi-posting is often filtered.
Reconstructing your thread (because I originally saw no
responded to by two trolls, so it's kind of unfair to tar
everyone with the same brush.

Anyway, I missed your post the first time through, but crate
training has been discussed so much recently that my finger
probably just hit the "next" key automatically. You may want to
usenet google on your issue.

I'm sorry that I can't address your problem because I've never
had a dog with similar issues. There have been two recent
threads on .breeds and .behavior concerning anxious dogs and
crate training, but you'll have to google them. IIRC, Chris
Jung wrote a very good post concerning this.

Old November 2nd 05, 09:23 AM

Hi Kat

If your Lab is used to doing his business in his crate ie from the
humane society, crate training won't work with him! This also goes for
dogs in pet shops. They simply get used to peeing where they sleep.

Normally dogs will hold on while in a crate, because they typically
hate peeing where they sleep. With your lab, he is way beyond that.

You can get him trained, but it will not be easy and will take a bit
longer than normal.

if it were me, I would get rid of the crate full stop. Allocate a spot
outside for his toilet area, then establish a solid routine.
First thing in the morning, after any meal, or play time, put his leash
on, and take him to the toilet spot outside, and WAIT.
And Wait and Wait.

When he goes pour on the praise, give treats etc. Then repeat until he
is trained.

Give him a new basket or dog pillow instead of his crate. The crate
will not work for him!

Hope I have helped

Ray
http://www.free-dog-training-book.com

Old November 2nd 05, 10:44 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:36:59 -0000, KMO ,
clicked their heels and said:

any ideas on dogs that need to be *walked* to pee
and poop? I am so tired of walking three times a day around the blocks
all the time.

don't do it then. Walks are for enjoyment not elimination. Exercise,
feeding, all sorts of things come into play. The "match trick" can
often be the thing that convinces a dog they CAN go in their own yard.

You might want to try a "pee post" to encourage her as well.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 3rd 05, 09:55 PM
KMO

Janet B wrote in
:

don't do it then. Walks are for enjoyment not elimination. Exercise,
feeding, all sorts of things come into play. The "match trick" can
often be the thing that convinces a dog they CAN go in their own yard.

You might want to try a "pee post" to encourage her as well.

I have come close to matching her but have not as yet. As far as the pee
post, Nope, had one of those, that didn't help, nor the spray. Even a pee
pad doesn't entice her at all.

--
~Karen~

Help!! Dog chewing everything in sight!! On her way out!!!! MommaMia Dog behavior 10 October 10th 05 01:21 PM
Restraining problem Aimee S Dog behavior 14 October 7th 05 05:56 PM
To All Dog Owners CB Dogs - general 3 July 31st 05 09:48 AM
dog urinates on everything pooteo Dog behavior 1 February 18th 05 09:57 AM
dog scared of brushing? Brandy Dog behavior 5 February 15th 05 08:45 AM